Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was such a fiendish problem, it was especially weird for me as I was updating to El Cap from Yosemite (yes I like to stay a few versions behind :D ).

In my case it seemed to be a problem with updated factory AppleALC kexts messing with my graphics (Nvidia GT 640), causing kernel panic just before the desktop arrives.

It was only when I tried Kext Utility instead of Kext Helper b7 that I actually realised what this Lilu kext and its plugins are all about. Kext utility actually gave me some feedback about where these things should go - it seems Lilu is a plugin for FakeSMC and lives inside the FakeSMC container. Same with NvidiaGraphicsFixup. I was really confused because I'd never installed these kexts before and never seen them in any of the Extensions folders (except AppleALC obviously which should be located inside S/L/E.)

So anyway - coming from 10.10.5, installing 10.11.3 (the only installer I have) was fine.

But when doing the updates for 10.11.6 and the 2018-001 security update, the only way I could boot after installing them was to turn off my graphics with nv_disable=1.

Once booted with basic vesa graphics, installing AppleALC 1.2.2 (along with updated Lilu.kext 1.2.2 and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext 1.2.2) with Kext Utility resolves the problem and the system can then be booted as normal with full graphics support.

The Nvidia web drivers were uninstalled for the entire process - I only installed them (WebDriver-346.03.15f12) once the system was booting normally after both the updates.

The USB3 fixes for El Cap complicated the situation further of course :D But all is well now.

Hope this helps somebody out there. And thanks for everyone's reports in this thread.

Maybe there are more elegant ways of resolving these issues, with DSDT patching etc. But I'm not really the kind of guy who enjoys that, so I'm happy that I could get it working this way.

My system: Z87X-D3H, 4790k, Zotac nvidia GT640 passive

Hello! Any problems installing this security update on El Capitan?
My El Capitan got KP after this Security Update. The boot arg: -liluoff made me access to the desktop.
Still have to fix fews things with my setup since this update: graphics and audio :/
Don't do anything before doing the first thing of all: BACKUP/TM/CLONE or whatever similar.
+

3570K / HD 4000 / H61N USB3 / El Capitan

I am a newbie. Just got my Hackintosh running 10.12.6., and so far everything is working. There seem to be different ways of doing this update. Can anyone recommend how I should go about doing it?? Thanks

I had kernel panic during boot, didn't check it yet. I'm in safe mode.

In safe mode.. uninstall the 2018-001 Sierra update. It is crashing lots of computers.

After you uninstall it do this:

@ the command line:

ENTER: softwareupdate --list

Wait till you see the 2018-001 Sierra update listed.

ENTER: softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2018-001"

ENTER: softwareupdate --list

"Test it by running softwareupdate --list command twice, once before the ignore command and once after. Now, you should see the update not appear on the second run if the ignore was successful."

*Going forward.. wait till a new fix comes out... This fix (Security Update 2018-001) is a security mod to the Kernel. *The lilu.kext v1.2.2 update does not work for everyone. So far.

Last edited:
Hi

Getting a boot loop when I try to update to the new security patch. I have attached a photo of where I get to in the boot process. I have tried updating lilu.kext but get same result.

Attachments

• 20180204_173642.jpg
    20180204_173642.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 178
Hi

Getting a boot loop when I try to update to the new security patch. I have attached a photo of where I get to in the boot process. I have tried updating lilu.kext but get same result.
This is not a help thread but your solution is an easy one - Update Lilu.kext.

Ok thanks sorry about that, will start a new thread then. I have updated Lilu I believe, I'll try again

Nope... Does not work. v1.2.2 kernel panic. kext dated the Jan 28th. The new Mac Security Patch came out Feb.

Nope... Does not work. v1.2.2 kernel panic. kext dated the Jan 28th. The new Mac Security Patch came out Feb.
My answer was not addressed to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back