Contribute
Register

Security Update 2018-001 for macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the patches below need to be made when updating a Skylake Hackintosh to the 2018-001 Security upgrade?

Do I need to install the AppleALC, Lilu, and nvidiagraphicsfixup kexts before updating? My system has none of these now and all features are working.

I am running a Skylake setup with 10.12.6 on a GA-Z170X-UD5 board, system definition 14,2.

Thank you--Jim

Last edited:
Running 10.11.6 with Stork‘s „My Hero“ build. Solid as gold!!!
If you wait, until NVIDIA updates their web driver, you‘ll never run into troubles when installing security updates...

I am using Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, and NVidiaGraphicsFixup.kext on my rig so I downloaded and ran the latest updates of these 3 kexts before applying the Security Update. No kernel panics after restart and I just had to update the Web Driver to the latest version to get back into the game.

Thanks for the thread. Updated Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC, ran the update and everything is running happily.

Sorry to keep asking, but I hope someone has an answer:

Has anyone with Sierra 10.12.6, a Gigabyte 100 series motherboard, and Skylake processor implemented this 2018-001 security upgrade without installing the AppleALC, Lili, and nividiagraphicsfixup kexts?

The posts in this thread seem to mainly discuss issues and kernel panics if these kexts are not the latest or installed properly on laptops, 100 series motherboards with Kaby Lake processors, or 200 series motherboards. I also read somewhere that these are kexts you need with 10.12.6 if you have a Kabylake processor, which I do not.

I’m trying to figure out if I can install the security upgrade on my Gigabyte 100 series motherboard, Sierra 10.12.6, and Skylake processor, without these kexts. I currently have none of them installed and my system is working properly.

I hope someone can answer--thanks again, Jim

Sorry to keep asking, but I hope someone has an answer:

Has anyone with Sierra 10.12.6, a Gigabyte 100 series motherboard, and Skylake processor implemented this 2018-001 security upgrade without installing the AppleALC, Lili, and nividiagraphicsfixup kexts?

The posts in this thread seem to mainly discuss issues and kernel panics if these kexts are not the latest or installed properly on laptops, 100 series motherboards with Kaby Lake processors, or 200 series motherboards. I also read somewhere that these are kexts you need with 10.12.6 if you have a Kabylake processor, which I do not.

I’m trying to figure out if I can install the security upgrade on my Gigabyte 100 series motherboard, Sierra 10.12.6, and Skylake processor, without these kexts. I currently have none of them installed and my system is working properly.

I hope someone can answer--thanks again, Jim

My guess is you can, if you've dealt with the graphics issues through other means (And maybe you don't need to, but I remember I had to patch the framebuffers when I was using the onboard HD530)

My guess is you can, if you've dealt with the graphics issues through other means (And maybe you don't need to, but I remember I had to patch the framebuffers when I was using the onboard HD530)

Thank you, Canyondust. Looks like our motherboards are similar, though mine doesn't have Thunderbolt, but processors are the same.

I have no graphics issues as long as I stay with the appropriate Nvidia driver.

Have you actually installed the security update 2018-001 without the kexts that I questioned and without other issues?

Jim

Thank you, Canyondust. Looks like our motherboards are similar, though mine doesn't have Thunderbolt, but processors are the same.

I have no graphics issues as long as I stay with the appropriate Nvidia driver.

Have you actually installed the security update 2018-001 without the kexts that I questioned and without other issues?

Jim

I installed with the above kexts present (latest versions). I also just rebooted with the kexts disabled. System works but results in black screen. (One of the reasons I use the kexts in the first place) So if you implement a different nvidia black screen fix, the security update will probably work for you. (Assuming you don't need quicksync but it sounds like you don't)

Also there have been reports that the latest Nvidia drivers have issues on non-pascal architectures (but I don't remember which ones) so you might want to investigate that too before updating...

I installed with the above kexts present (latest versions). I also just rebooted with the kexts disabled. System works but results in black screen. (One of the reasons I use the kexts in the first place) So if you implement a different nvidia black screen fix, the security update will probably work for you. (Assuming you don't need quicksync but it sounds like you don't)

Also there have been reports that the latest Nvidia drivers have issues on non-pascal architectures (but I don't remember which ones) so you might want to investigate that too before updating...

I think I have avoided the black screen problem (and needing the nvidiagraphicsfixup kext) because my profile is iMac 14,2??

My graphics card is an EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+. That is based on Maxwell technology. Can you suggest a direction to help me get smart about possible issues with the latest Nvidia drivers. I was just fine with the driver for 10.12.6.

I very much appreciate your help--Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back