AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys!

I've been using a hackintosh for some time now, but only recently acquired a SSD. Since I'm somewhat pedantic about noise I'd like my system to run as silently as possible. That means I'd love my HDD, which only stores data, to spin down if not used. My setup looks like this:

0: GUID_partition_scheme *128.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS System 127.7 GB disk0s2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS Data 1.7 TB disk1s2
3: Apple_HFS Backup 199.9 GB disk1s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data Windows 100.1 GB disk1s4

disk0s2 Contains OS, Applications and all admin and server user folders as they are small. Also contains my standard user folder but uses symlinks to disk1s2 for the big stuff (i.e. Movies, iTunes Music, iPhoto Lib, Steam,...). I chose the symlink-approach as I figured moving the entire home-folder to disk1 would result in more activity (for caching and such) and prevent spin down.
Backup and Windows are also always mounted during use.

Now, how do I get my HDD to stop spinning?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you work out how to get it to spindown?, all I do at the moment is just eject it :headbang:

go into System Preferences then Energy Saver and make sure you have ticked Put hard disks to sleep when possible then if the drive isn't being used it will turn off

Same Here.

I eject hdd, hdd spin down immediately. but spin up soon (about after 10seconds) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back