Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to get as clear photos as I can, hope they help, I am at a loss

IMG_20160129_220112.jpgIMG_20160129_220128.jpgIMG_20160129_220147.jpgIMG_20160129_220240.jpgIMG_20160129_220243.jpg
Boot verbose to troubleshoot. Booting without verbose and showing the screen you attached doesn't really provide any information.

I have tried to get as clear photos as I can, hope they help, I am at a loss

OS X installed to USB? And you damaged your USB kexts... and so USB kexts are not loading... so you get "still waiting for root".

OS X installed to USB? And you damaged your USB kexts... and so USB kexts are not loading... so you get "still waiting for root".

Yeah thats right, ox is installed to external usb, I have a macbook air that I can use to access the external drive, do I just need to remove the two kexts I installed to S/L/E?

Yeah thats right, ox is installed to external usb, I have a macbook air that I can use to access the external drive, do I just need to remove the two kexts I installed to S/L/E?

The kexts you installed are not the cause of the problem.

The problem is the damage you caused to AppleUSBXHCI.kext/AppleUSBHub.kext/etc. It is likely you did this damage earlier, but had not rebuild cache. When you installed new kexts to the system, it triggered a cache rebuild and exposed the problem you had, but didn't know about.

Run the OS X installer to freshen your system kexts.

The kexts you installed are not the cause of the problem.

The problem is the damage you caused to AppleUSBXHCI.kext/AppleUSBHub.kext/etc. It is likely you did this damage earlier, but had not rebuild cache. When you installed new kexts to the system, it triggered a cache rebuild and exposed the problem you had, but didn't know about.

Run the OS X installer to freshen your system kexts.

My confusion is that this issue only occurred when I did the 10.11.3 update trough the app store, everything worked fine when I was on 10.11.2, I never touched any USB kexts, the only thing I had to do was delete DSDT4 due to a wifi card issue, other than that it was a normal install using sebinouse's instructions.

With regards to running the os x installer, do I just have to run it or reinstall it?

Its just I don't want to have to reinstall applications.

Forget it, I will just do a full wipe and reinstall, at least then I can see if it really is the 10.11.3 update that is the issue.

Hello,
I used this guide to successfully install El Capitan on my NUC and have had no issues in the last month of using it.
However, I originally installed to a 1TB mechanical hard drive whilst I waited for my 1TB SSD to arrive.

I've tried to use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the 1TB mechanical drive to the 1TB SSD, however when I try to boot with the SSD it only boots to a blank screen. The only way to boot into the SSD is to use USB from the install process.

Does anyone have any idea on why this is the case? I've tried using CCC to re-clone the drive and the same issue occurs.

Thanks

Make sure you have the default setting about AHCI/SATA in bios, try to get a log from Clover boot (I don't know how but maybe somebody here knows)

Thanks for the help, Sebinouse! Lesson learned, double check all of the BIOS settings. I have it installed now, but have one more problem - whenever the screen is put to sleep, the NUC crashes and restarts itself. Any ideas?

Hello,
I used this guide to successfully install El Capitan on my NUC and have had no issues in the last month of using it.
However, I originally installed to a 1TB mechanical hard drive whilst I waited for my 1TB SSD to arrive.

I've tried to use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the 1TB mechanical drive to the 1TB SSD, however when I try to boot with the SSD it only boots to a blank screen. The only way to boot into the SSD is to use USB from the install process.

Does anyone have any idea on why this is the case? I've tried using CCC to re-clone the drive and the same issue occurs.

Thanks

Tried using SuperDuper to clone the 2x drives and still have the same boot issue.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Off-topic. This thread is for the Haswell NUC, not an HP laptop.

Thanks

I have it installed now, but have one more problem - whenever the screen is put to sleep, the NUC crashes and restarts itself. Any ideas?

Do you have something in log ? (use Console.app in Applications/Utilities/Console)

Tried using SuperDuper to clone the 2x drives and still have the same boot issue.
Anyone have any other ideas?

As far as I remember CCC will only clone your system partition, not the EFI partition.

Did you format it previously (GUID, HFS+ ...). Then you have to install Clover and finally you can add you custom files in EFI/... Now and only now you can use CCC to copy your system.

And for information, the config.plist is configured to boot a partition named "ElCapitan" after a 3 seconds timeout. you can easily change this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back