Contribute
Register

Sebinouse's Build : CustoMacMini 2014 - Intel NUC Haswell i5-4250U - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo Sebinouse,
I am new as a hackintosher and want to build my very first hackintosh according to your guide. First of all thanks a lot for your wonderful work. I have some questions.
1. In Step 4 there are some differences between yours and Mariolillo’s Clover installation guide. He does not set the RC scripts- and Clover Preference Pane- options for the Clover installation to the USB stick, he deselects them. He copies the files DSDT and SSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. In your guide I can not find it: is there no need for these files? He chooses a different location for the config.plist file (EFI/CLOVER/ instead of EFI/EFI/CLOVER/).
2. In your package, newest config.plist file, there are two FakeSMCKext files. Are they both necessary, are they complementary?
4. How can I install the latest BIOS version on the NUC without an OS on it?
5. Which is the highest possible display solution @ 60 Hz?
4. Does your latest change from 01-07-2016, serial and 5 Ghz, refer to the serialnumber in SMBIOS and the WLAN card?
I hope, these are not too many questions, but for an absolute beginner it is a real adventure to buy all the hardware and depend on support by the forum.
Thanks in advance for feedback.

Hmm, I'll give the patch a try. For what it's worth, 3440x1440, 60hz, 32-bit color works just fine in Windows. I tried 50Hz in OSX over DP and it was still a crash. Will report back with the patch!

According Nuc's specifications, 60Hz might be the highest frame-rate achievable for 1440p ... (maybe in 24bit not 32bit for color)

The reason might be that we own a Haswell ULT (-U) processor. In this case CDCLK is limited to 450MHz, and UHD@60 requires 540MHz.

The limitation is only for thermal reason and according to Intel it should be achievable ... you can give a closer look to the performance settings in bios.

Nuc Documentation
Intel's forum
Intel's general documentation

EDIT : there used to be a patch for pixel clock limitation on Yosemite ... I don't know if it's still relevant, maybe it worth a try. It seem to be buggy with DP ... be careful

Very nice trick ! I have always failed to keep that codec alive !

If the solution rely on MIC maybe we should use codec-commander kext for node x19 and x21 in custom commands ...

If file from this post was meant to resolve audio problem on front audio 3.5 mm audio jack,.... on my test doesn't solve'it.

Test show same result.

Thanks ever so much Sebinouse - I've just done a clean install and the majority of it seems to be working :)

I've only got one problem. I use a 29" monitor (2560x1080). When I use the PBP setting on it it squashes the screen. Whilst the machine is booting the resolution isn't an issue at all and it seems to scale to 1280x1080 fine. But as soon as I login it sets the resolution back to 2560x1080. Is there anyway that you know of of fixing this? Could it be injected using clover?

1. In Step 4 there are some differences between yours and Mariolillo’s Clover installation guide. He does not set the RC scripts- and Clover Preference Pane- options for the Clover installation to the USB stick, he deselects them.
As far as I remember it's not mandatory for USB installer, but I rather use it all the time to make the installation more simple.
He copies the files DSDT and SSDT to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched. In your guide I can not find it: is there no need for these files?
We have no DSDT injection on this guide, only SSDTs. A DSDT is bound to a BIOS version, SSDTs allow us to upgrade BIOS.
He chooses a different location for the config.plist file (EFI/CLOVER/ instead of EFI/EFI/CLOVER/).
I meant in the Volume "EFI", path "EFI/CLOVER/". The whole path one is "/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/"
2. In your package, newest config.plist file, there are two FakeSMCKext files. Are they both necessary, are they complementary?
see post #347
4. How can I install the latest BIOS version on the NUC without an OS on it?
BIOS upgrade only need a USB flash drive and a valid BIOS on the NUC. Press F7 during boot with the new on the USB drive plugged in. Refer to the end of post#1.
5. Which is the highest possible display solution @ 60 Hz?
tested : HDMI 1080p(post#1)
DP1.2 3200x1800 (post#127)
4. Does your latest change from 01-07-2016, serial and 5 Ghz, refer to the serialnumber in SMBIOS and the WLAN card?
Yep

Hmm, I'll give the patch a try. For what it's worth, 3440x1440, 60hz, 32-bit color works just fine in Windows. I tried 50Hz in OSX over DP and it was still a crash. Will report back with the patch!
We have one successful report for 3440x1440@50Hz (Gorila post#96).
Did you force DP1.2 (instead of DP1.1) on Display OSD ? (franzzup post#127).

If file from this post was meant to resolve audio problem on front audio 3.5 mm audio jack,.... on my test doesn't solve'it.
It was a blind guess ...
I'm pretty sure the solution is pretty close ...

I've only got one problem. I use a 29" monitor (2560x1080). When I use the PBP setting on it it squashes the screen. Whilst the machine is booting the resolution isn't an issue at all and it seems to scale to 1280x1080 fine. But as soon as I login it sets the resolution back to 2560x1080. Is there anyway that you know of of fixing this? Could it be injected using clover?
It can be injected by clover by injecting your EDID and setting your resolution in config.plist (refer to Clover wiki for that)
Same answer as above : Did you force DP1.2 (instead of DP1.1) on Display OSD ? (franzzup post#127).
I'm not using DP (but HDMI) so I won't be able to debug this ...

use mausi kext. :)
Thanks ;)

Ok, thanks for the help. I think what I did not see the first post of Sebinouse
It should be in the Troubleshoot section ... but I really need to update the package.

Hi Sebinouse,
Please can I get a link to the previous config file, the one used in the initial release? I see you removed the download link. It seems that my WiFi was working perfect before, but now I just can't get it to work.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back