Contribute
Register

Screen Glitching on High Sierra HD630 GA-Z270N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is that 18,3 worked just fine for macOS Sierra. And up until a couple weeks ago was working on High Sierra, but now after the 10.13.4 update it's unusable.

What I don't understand is that 18,3 worked just fine for macOS Sierra. And up until a couple weeks ago was working on High Sierra, but now after the 10.13.4 update it's unusable.
on 10.13.3 18,3 works fine with dual monitor...

I see. I am beginning to think I just need to give up and buy a graphics card. Kinda hate to do that, but she needs this computer to work and that just doesn't seem to be happening with the current hardware and OS version.

You have to choose a model that only render with iGPU to prevent glitching issue. Perhaps the iMac 18,1 could be an option if you care about the KabyLake. (not tested)

I can't just go changing the SMBIOS version willynilly though, can I? Wouldn't that mess up my iMessage, iCloud, and App Store login?

I don't know that DVI is a good thing. If you can test with just straight HDMI that would be best.

As for the sysdef, 18,3 would be the wrong one, you'd want n,1 as that, if I am not mistaken, does not spec discrete gpu (uses the chip's onboard graphics).

Make a copy of your current config file (use a meaningful name) before changing your sysdef. That way you can revert w/o issue.

Yes, changing sysdefs will temporarily disrupt your iStuff as you are changing "computers." So you will need to re-do the iStuff.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the 18,3, you'll need a GPU - either AMD or NVidia. If NVidia, I'd recommend no less than the 1070. With AMD either the 580 or Vega 56.

OK I'll try going to 18,1 and report back. Is there a way to do that as a one-off by changing something at the Clover boot screen, or do I have to go into Clover Configurator and change it, save it, then reboot? What happens if I get into a boot loop or black screen?

backup your current config.plist on EFI partition as config.backup.plist
make changes on config.plist
if boot loop or black screen you can change config.plist to config.backup.plist on Clover boot screen

backup your current config.plist on EFI partition as config.backup.plist
make changes on config.plist
if boot loop or black screen you can change config.plist to config.backup.plist on Clover boot screen

Thank you! I will try that.

OK so I tried SMBIOS 18,1 and the screen glitching is totally gone!

I noticed, though, when I was choosing the SMBIOS that it's for a 2.3 ghz processor, and this is an i5 running at 3.79 ghz. Is that going to affect performance?

There's a 17,1 that is for a 4 ghz processor, but that's a Skylake and this here is a Kaby Lake processor. Does any of this matter?

You want to choose the SMBIOS that most closely matches your system, beginning with processor family. Speed of the processor, as far as I know, makes no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back