Contribute
Register

Screen flickers after no problems for months

Status
Not open for further replies.
My monitor is less than a year old, so that should definitely not be the issue. I don't have access to another one :/. I feel like it's gotta be something with my EFI, I just don't know what.

Hi there.

Sadly no, a mis-configured EFI is unlikely to cause an intermittent flicker. Working or not working, yes. Once the PC has booted the EFI is forgotten about.

However, if you rule out cable and monitor (try a TV with HDMI as an alternative to test with), then you can get signal interference from mouse movement or other hardware when it operates, so check that. USB earthing can also have an effect.

Confirm if the problem is hardware or software related by checking performance under an alternative OS.

I did try that. I just tried a new solution that I THINK may solve the problem. It's been working so far, and if this is correct, I'm going to feel awfully dumb. I had both a display port and HDMI cable plugged into the monitor. I removed one. Let's see what happens. Thank you for the suggestion!
Did you try removing the other one. In other words test both cables separately.

Ah, got it re: EFI. I didn't realize that.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by signal interference or USB earthing. Can you clarify what I can do to test these things?

Re: alternative OS, I have a bootable version of Mac OS X on another internal hard drive, so I can try that, but since the problem is so intermittent and I need to primarily use the boot that I'm using now, I'm not sure how to really test this.

Re: other cable, yeah I tried both of them individually. Same problem with both.

Ah, got it re: EFI. I didn't realize that.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by signal interference or USB earthing. Can you clarify what I can do to test these things?

Re: alternative OS, I have a bootable version of Mac OS X on another internal hard drive, so I can try that, but since the problem is so intermittent and I need to primarily use the boot that I'm using now, I'm not sure how to really test this.

Re: other cable, yeah I tried both of them individually. Same problem with both.
Alternative OS being Windows or any Linux distro. If it happens under OSX still, you can’t eliminate the OS variable…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back