Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have wanted to build a Hackintosh for some time, but I never knew what I wanted to build. I always wanted it to look like a Mac, but a small one. Thus, the (big) Mac Pro mod was out, as well as a G5 conversion.

That left me with the Mac Pro tube moc or a G4 cube mod, but I didn't have access to the latter and the former seems to need very precise handy-work, which I wasn't sure I could accomplish.

Thus I decided to build my own case. I figured I'd start with a wooden case because I felt like a scratch case from metal was not something I could do.

But like I said, I wanted it to look like a Mac.

Two things happened:

1 - Someone listed a G5 PM for free online nearby.

2 - I found out you can buy laptop case parts for really cheap online.

I figured that I could re-purpose Mac exterior material into the computer I wanted to make.

Anyway, this is a long way to go to only show you three pictures.

photo 1.JPG

I'm not exactly what you'd call skilled at carpentry. And my tool kit is limited: Dremel, a few bits for it, a hand saw, a knife, and a chisel. Nonetheless, I managed to knock out this frame for one side of the panel.

photo 2.JPG

I made a dry fit, and included two cut outs on the bottom edge.

photo 3.JPG

And now the piece de resistance: Mac Book Air cover #1. The fit is so-so, but it's loosey-goosey enough for me to try to get it right before I glue the frame together and attach (somehow) the cover.

Because the hinge mount remains when you buy the covers, I am thinking of using that to make the case openable. I have to figure out what part of the case is the matching part of the hinge mechanism.

So, next on my list of things to do is to make the frame for the other side with the other Mac Book Air cover. Once I have two frames, I will figure out the hinge mechanism for a Mac Book Air, and see if I can use that to my advantage.

Once I have two side panels, I'm going to have to figure out the width of this computer - I'm trying to make it as small as possible, so I am greatly inspired by Mac Pro mods using the tubes in the Mac Pro mods and the HiRise mod elsewhere in this forum. For the rest of the case, I will cut panels from the body of the G5 case, but I haven figured out exactly how it looks.

Final notes:

1 - I haven't chosen any hardware specifically, but it will be a mini-ITX, and a low-profile and short video card with as physically as small as possible PSU. Also, 2x4 GB RAM, and a single SSD. I need the motherboard, PSU and video card so I can start to thinking about placement, but I may not purchase the CPU, RAM and SSD right away, as they are less of a concern space-wise.

2 - The Mac Book Air covers are from an 11.6" Air, thus the dimensions are 300 mm x 192 mm. The width will be as small as I can make it, but I won't know that until I start buying hardware.

3 - The wooden sticks I am building from are 3/4 x 3/4 - Basically, I got a 1x2 (which is 3/4 x 1 1/2) and then ripped it to make a square side of 3/4 x 3/4. The remnant, which is thinner due to the kerf, may or may not be utilized--I'm not sure.

4 - I'll probably put Dremel to the G5 case for the perforated front as part of the design. Sorry, G5 - you are not long for this world.

5 - I really don't have a plan - I'll just do the next thing there is to do.

Anyway, I'm excited to be building. I know this first case will be sort of......amateur, but you've got to start somewhere.

Short update:

Unhappy with my carpentry work. Have ordered some wood crafting tools and been reading a lot on the internet about better methods of woodworking.

Thus, starting over.

Should receive new tools and supplies over the next 7 - 10 days, so should have a new box frame built out in the next two - three weeks.

This is interesting, but I don't follow what you're trying to do. Could you provide a sketch or a better explanation?

This is interesting, but I don't follow what you're trying to do. Could you provide a sketch or a better explanation?

Short version:

I am using two Mac Book Air 11.6 lids as sides of a mini itx case. I will cut the grille of a PowerMac G5 into small pieces to use as the other panels. I'm using wood because I want to practice woodworking.

Long version:

I wanted to build a Mac that looked like a Mac. I love neilhart's Short Stack, and I also think the guy at slipperyskip.com is making the dopest mini-itx scratch builds on the intertubes.

Check: http://slipperyskip.com/page37.html

or, http://slipperyskip.com/page33.html

That having been said, I have neither the skills nor the tools of either of these gentlemen, so an easier plan is being attempted.

Originally, I was going to cut up a PowerMac G5 for both panels and grills, but then I found out the lids for Mac Book Airs are fairly inexpensive. Now I'm just going to cut up the face of the Powermac G5 for grills.

I wanted a low-moderate gaming machine, so a video card is included (although if the Iris Pro ever comes to the desktop not wrapped in a NUC, I'll drop the video card).

The plan is:

1. Build the side frames using the Mac Book Air lids as size guidelines (I chose the 11.6 size for maximum tiny-ness)
  2. Watch with great interest about how dj aris uses the pico psu and converter in his HiRise build to see if that is the right solution for me because the tiny space i've limited myself to (going for less than 3 inches wide, if possible) - currently, my parts list is well above the wattage to use a pico psu, but i might change to lower power parts
  3. Buy the components and place them in the case in a way that will minimize the width of the case
  4. Cut a slot in all pieces along their length to mount the grille panels from the G5
  5. Stain the wood a pretty color
  6. Aseemble the box and panels with short cross pieces using a complicated three-way wood joint: http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/34825/3-way-miter-joint-chinese-style or possibly a less-complicated one: http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/simplified-three-way-miter.aspx
  7. Figure out how the hinge mechanism works on the Mac Book Air lids and attach them to the sides in such a way that both panels are open-able
  8. Build in a power button somewhere so it looks nice
  9. Build a very small custom backplate for:
    • a power plug
    • 3 USB
    • HDMI
    • headphone jack
  10. Make sure my wiring is tidy and minimal
  11. Fire it up and install OS X
  12. Sit back and bask in a job well done.
  13. Using the skills I've acquired, find a new carpentry project to try

I'm currently at step zero: waiting for tools and supplies. :beachball:

I hope that clears it up! :mrgreen:

Hats off this is quite ambitious, this posts to the other blog are very impressive so will be good to see how it turns out. Will definitely follow. If you haven't seen this already check out http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-parts/103860-low-profile-cpu-coolers.html might be of some help.

Have you any thoughts on the base of the machine, will this be all wood or something else ?

Hats off this is quite ambitious, this posts to the other blog are very impressive so will be good to see how it turns out. Will definitely follow. If you haven't seen this already check out http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-parts/103860-low-profile-cpu-coolers.html might be of some help.

Have you any thoughts on the base of the machine, will this be all wood or something else ?

Thanks for your tip on low profile coolers. :clap:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1os026ez9cryoa/newnew.skp

This is the sketchup model. Red is the mini-itx motherboard, green is the Zotac low profile GTX 650, blue is the 1U modular psu (who knew such a thing existed?) and purple is the SSD. All of the motherboard and video card ports point downward, and extension cables will run to the back panel. As the model stands, its too narrow--the psu and the motherboard are touching. (I realize the motherboard isn't a block, but it's still unlikely I can put them that close.) Also missing: a case fan.

But this is the model I'm working toward. If the desktop Iris Pro comes out, the motherboard moves to the back, oriented correctly, and the psu and the SSD are in the front:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2xg6c71gfbph61/newnewnew.skp

Mumblr - I am glad that you have found Jeffrey Stephenson’s creations. I think he does really great work in his designs.

And I was wondering if you have considered using the MakerBeam system to construct the frame of your system? I purchased a MakerBeam starter kit from Amazon and my grandson and i have spent hours building play objects. In the back of my head I am thinking that this system has real potential.

Anyway I am pleased to see you get started and I will follow your progress with interest.

Good modding,
neil

Mumblr - I am glad that you have found Jeffrey Stephenson’s creations. I think he does really great work in his designs.

And I was wondering if you have considered using the MakerBeam system to construct the frame of your system? I purchased a MakerBeam starter kit from Amazon and my grandson and i have spent hours building play objects. In the back of my head I am thinking that this system has real potential.

Anyway I am pleased to see you get started and I will follow your progress with interest.

Good modding,
neil

I agree Neil. Maker and Open Beam have a lot of possibilities for making simple strong chassis that can then be easily clad. I am starting to use them with my acrylic sheet work as the combination of materials brings great advantages - strength and shape can effectively be added where needed.

Separately from my NUC/Mini build I am using these beam systems to optimise spaces within case structures that would otherwise not be easily accessed and utilised.

Good modding,
neil

I wish I had known about MakerBeam about three months ago! I might have gone down a different path.

I didn't discover MakerBeam until after I committed myself to a wood frame box build, and I've bought some tools specifically for wood work so I might as well continue down this path. Along the lines of what minihack is saying, I may buy a few sticks of MakerBeam later in the build, once I have to reckon with the notion of how these components will be mounted to the case.

But yeah, MakerBeam with the corner cubes for corners - that's the fastest way I see to build a box to the exact dimension you want. (Maybe next project......... :problem:, or maybe use Maker Beam for the components of the frame that don't need rounded shaping*???? I'm gonna have to think about it.....)

Amazon informs me that my razor saw is en route, and Etsy informs me my oak modelling supplies are coming next week.......

* - rounded edges aren't shown in the sketchup models but would be along the edges of the skinny panels, to match the Mac Book Air corners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back