Contribute
Register

Save Unibeast USB stick to file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seems that it can be doable on MacOS too with no additional tool. I have my habits with Linux, that's why I go first on Linux tools.
But in MacOS, the Disk Utility has this feature, and it's pretty simple.

Just select the USB key from Disk Utility, then from the menu choose "File > New Image > Image From" and choose this option for your USB keys.
You'll get a .dmg file (standard disk image format for Apple) of your USB key.

And when your want to restore it. Select your the USB thumb in Disk Utility and click on the "Restore" button, then choose your image (.dmg) file to restore.

Some screenshots (in French but the interface is the same): https://imgur.com/a/fVT9n7t

Reactions: KZh
I used a Live bootable USB with Ubuntu. (Always good to get a live Ubuntu on a spare old 2GB USB thumb, like to fix EFI entries with efibootmgr, mount /EFI partition to repair Clover or some efi files, and many other things...)...

I just read carefully what you were saying about fix EFI entries ... what king of troubles does efibootmgr resolve ?

Last week, I was like a dumb because I couldn't boot into my Windows anymore, I didn't even saw the EFI entry into my BIOS ... had to boot on a Windows PE to tru with bootrec etc., and I would love to know if I could have used efibootmgr instead :confused:

Well it seems that it can be doable on MacOS too with no additional tool. I have my habits with Linux, that's why I go first on Linux tools.
But in MacOS, the Disk Utility has this feature, and it's pretty simple.

Just select the USB key from Disk Utility, then from the menu choose "File > New Image > Image From" and choose this option for your USB keys.
You'll get a .dmg file (standard disk image format for Apple) of your USB key.

And when your want to restore it. Select your the USB thumb in Disk Utility and click on the "Restore" button, then choose your image (.dmg) file to restore.

Some screenshots (in French but the interface is the same): https://imgur.com/a/fVT9n7t

Well I'm french too, so don't have any trouble ;)

I will give it a look thanks :)

Fixing EFI entries can be useful when doing multi-boot/multi-systems installations with either one disk or several disks... Sometimes it can become such a mess in EFI (sometimes with old and no-more working EFI entries, entries disappearing, sometimes with entries not linking to the good device or path...). So to clean all that mess manually a tool is necessary, that's what efibootmgr is made for.

Fixing EFI entries can be useful when doing multi-boot/multi-systems installations with either one disk or several disks... Sometimes it can become such a mess in EFI (sometimes with old and no-more working EFI entries, sometimes with entries not linking to the good device or path...). So to clean all that mess manually a tool is necessary, that's what efibootmgr is made for.
I didn't know about this tool (but I'm a dumb on Linux systems ... :lol:)

By the way, this is interesting, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back