Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge Guide: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Rev 1.0 BIOS=F2

Did it work for you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Guide still works for 10.6.6 and it still has some info on NVIDIA 8800 instead of ATI cards and some more information on different topics.

But because I do not own a SANDY BRIDGE system anymore (I send CPU/MOBO/RAM back and got a i7 960, GA-X58A-UD3R, Tri-Chan RAM Kit) You might want to check a more recent 10.6.7 guide: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=16323
If it does not work, come back and try this one ;-)

My Hardware
  • Intel Core i7 2600k[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Rev 1.0 BIOS F2[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Gainward NVIDIA 8800 GT 2xDVI 512MB (used)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • A-DATA 2x4GB DDR3 XPG G Series 1600MHz CL9 1.55V[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • SONY NEC Optiarc AD-7260S DVD-RW[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • WD Caviar Green 2TB 64MB Cache SATAII[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Scythe Ninja 3 CPU Fan[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • ARCTIC Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • XFX Core Edition Pro850W 80+ Bronze 135mm[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Lian Li PC-A05 Case[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Apple USB Keyboard (I recommend this one)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Some basic Logitech USB Mouse[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 22" CRT (TFTs probably work better) + an old Apple DVI->VGA adapter. A TFT/LCD should work, or works even better![/*:m:jdc41aj4]

~= 1150 USD (without the 11 years old monitor ;-))

Warnings about my hardware selection.
  • Get another fan. A smaller one. I will continue to use mine and the manual fan controller is great but installation WAS A PAIN (difficult, long, really painful)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • The case AND the power supply are great BUT they do not fit togather. Get either a bigger case or a modular PSU. The PSU runs very quiet. The most loud factor are the GFX card fan and the hard drive.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • If you can, find long warranty 1.5v RAM instead of mine, which is 1.55v. 1.5v RAM tends to be higher quality. Currently replacing it with Crucial DDR3 1333 1,5v[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Hardware Installation Tips
  • The Board (Huge Image) http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/prod ... 32_big.jpg - yours should look pretty much exactly the same way.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Install the GFX Card to the PCIe x16 Slot #1 that is near to the CPU. It should be actually written on the board as only one Slot on the UD3 is PCIe x16[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Use SATA2_2 and SATA2_3, these are the ones in the middle of the SATA ports on the board layout shown above. They are also marked.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • If you got frontpanel sound, use the HDAudio connector (tested) not the AC97 one (untested).[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Required Software

Recommended Extra Software (not required for Hacking your PC into a ...tosh ;))

Installing 10.6.6
  • Hit "DEL" for BIOS -> Load Optimized Defaults -> Save and Exit BIOS, computer restarts[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Hit "DEL" for BIOS[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Advanced BIOS Features -> Full Screen LOGO Show: disabled, Init Display First: PCIE x16[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Integrated Peripherals -> PCH SATA Control Mode: AHCI (instead of IDE)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Power Management Setup -> HPET Mode: 64-bit mode[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Save and Exit BIOS, computer restarts[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Advanced BIOS Features -> First Boot Device: P0-Optiarc DVD, Second Boot Device: Hard Disk, Third Boot Device: disabled[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Insert iBoot Legacy CD, restart your computer[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Wait until you can see the TonyMac red Apple at the top and the iBook Disc below[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Eject the iBoot Disc[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Insert OS X 10.6.3 Install DVD, Hit F5, the Mac OS X Install DVD should show up, hit Enter to boot the OS X installer. You should see a gray Apple with a spinning wheel below. Wait ;-).[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In the OS X Installer: Select your Language[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In the OS X Installer: Choose Utilities -> Disc Utility[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In Disk Utility: Mark the hard disk, choose the "Partition"-tab, Hit the Options-button and select GUID Partition Table[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In Disk Utility: The OS X partition cannot exceed 1 TB. With my hardware the most simple setup would be 2x1TB. You want the Mac OS X Partition to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled).[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In Disk Utility: After setting up your partitions, hit Apply, Quit Disk Utility[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In the OS X Installer: click continue, click agree.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Optional: In the OS X Installer: Click customize. I removed Printer Support and Language Translation, added X11, Rosetta and QuickTime 7.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In the OS X Installer: Install on the first Mac OS X partition. Took me around 15 mins.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Will reboot after install, swap in iBoot Legacy CD again, select the OS X partition, hit enter[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Finish OS X installation[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Welcome to OS X :)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Eject iBoot, insert USB drive (Booting while the USB drive was inserted crashed my bootloading) or DVD holding ComboUpdate, BridgeHelper, MultiBeast[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Copy ComboUpdate, MultiBeast, BridgeHelper to your hard disk[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • If Mac OS X's Software Update wants to run, click Not Now[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Run 10.6.6 Combo Updater Installer, DO NOT REBOOT IF YOU INSTALL 10.6.7 I cannot garantuee the below to work. It might, it might not. Also your system "might" run with 10.6.7 native Kernel. Afaik you will have to use a newer iBoot (non Legacy?) then.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Run MultiBeast. Select EasyBeast, System Definition->Mac Pro 3.1, System Utilities, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, FakeSMC, Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - Sandy Bridge[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Run BridgeHelper[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • In the Combo Updater Installer hit Restart[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • -> Advanced BIOS Features -> First Boot Device: Hard Disk, Second Boot Device: Hard Disk, Third Boot Device: disabled[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • When you see the small bar rotating (the bootloader loading) hit F8 multiple times.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • You see the Mac OS X partition in iBoot. Just type this on your keyboard: mach_kernel arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=8192 -force64 -v[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • You will see white on black text scrolling... OS X booting up in verbose mode (-v)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Open Finder, go to /Extra, right click com.apple.Boot.plist -> Open With -> TextEdit[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Find the lines:
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1</string>
    ... or similar replace with
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=8192 -force64</string>
    ... save the file.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Open System Preferences -> Display -> 100Hz -> "Blue Screen" -> Enter to confirm -> Apple+Q -> Press reset to restart computer (For a TFT things might work differently)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Open System Preferences -> Display -> 1280x980 -> "Blue Screen" -> Enter to confirm -> Apple+Q -> Press reset to restart computer (For a TFT things might work differently)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Run MultiBeast.
    A.) Select System Utilities.
    B.) Select Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> ALC8xxHDA
    C.) Select Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> AppleHDARollback
    D.) Select Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> Non-DSDT HDAEnabler -> ALC 892
    ^ make sure you select ACL 892 and not any other ALC xxx by accident.
    ... you might also get SleepEnabler... if its not in YOUR_MAC_HD/Extra/Extensions already
    E.) Select Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Network -> Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • You can check NULLCPUPowerManagement and USB3[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Install with Multibeast and Reboot[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Now you should have Video, Audio, Network running smooth on a 4/8 Core, 8GB i7 :)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

• Benchmarking
  • Transgaming/Cider Port of Lead and Gold running perfect.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • League of Legends (cider as well) running perfect.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Starcraft 2 Demo (Mac Version) running perfect with max details (at 1280x980)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Ableton Live 8.2 Studio running perfect[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Native Instruments Kontakt 4.2 almost running perfect (some issues with the onboard sound driver/card)[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Software:
    CineBench R11.5: http://www.maxon.net/en/downloads/cineb ... h-115.html
    Geekbench 2.1.13: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/
    XBench 1.3: http://www.xbench.com/[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • BIOS: MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Extreme Memory Profile: Profile1
    ^ Changes DDR3 from 1333 to 1600
    BIOS: MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> CPU Clock Ratio 38 x (instead of 34)
    BIOS: MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features -> Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech. -> Disabled
    ^ Set CPU to always Turbo ON[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Results with Mac Pro 3.1 smbios
    CineBench CPU: 7.39, CPU (Single Core): 1.47, OpenGL: 35.87
    XBench: 311.64 (Second Run)
    GeekBench 32: 11227 / http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/379482[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Notice that I did not know about NovaBench http://novabench.com/download.php / http://novabench.com/files/novabench.dmg ... if you want share xBench, Geekbench, Cinebench and Novabench results down in the thread.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Advanced / Optionals (I did those)
  • While installing create I choose to have 3 partitions: a.) Mac OS A (HFS+ journaled), Mac OS B (HFS+ journaled), Storage (HFS+ journaled). Sizes are 250GB, 250GB, 1500GB.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Whenever I have a stable setup I launch Carbon Copy Cloner and Backup Mac OS A to Mac OS B. Whenever Mac OS A is in trouble I choose Mac OS B in the bootloader and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy back form B to A.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • After I had a stable System I launched System Preferences -> Accounts, hit the Lock to allow changes, right click on my account name -> Advanced Options and I set the user directory to /Volumes/Storage/Users/tim. This way I do not sync the user directory with Carbon Copy Cloner anymore.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • I also added ln -s /Volumes/Storage/Users/ /Users to have the Shared user on my Storage drive[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • MultiBeasts OSx86 Software -> Kext Utility and OSx86 Software -> Kext Utility -> ShowAllFiles help a lot. If you install custom Kexts be sure to run Kext Utility. Read the description of ShowAllFiles of MultiBeast[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Working Kernels/Params
  • iboot_legacy_kernel: arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=4096[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • iboot_legacy_kernel: arch=i386 busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=8192 -force64[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • macbook_pro_sandy_bridge_kernel + BIOS multi 29: busratio=29 PCIRootUID=1 maxmem=4096 -v[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Could not get the Mac OS X 10.6.6 Mac Book Pro 2011 Kernel (e.g. Darwin 10.6.1 or Darwin 10.7?) to run properly![/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Useful Command Line Calls
  • To Rebuild Extension Cache: sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions /System/Library/Extensions[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Set file properties of the mach_kernel file so that it runs:
    sudo chown 0:0 /mach_kernel
    sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

or (if you happen to have another kernel, for example):
    sudo chown 0:0 /macbook_pro_sandy_bridge_kernel
    sudo chmod 644 /macbook_pro_sandy_bridge_kernel
    [/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Run different kernel form iBoot or basic Chameleon with macbook_pro_sandy_bridge_kernel -v OtherArg=SomeThingSeeAboveForArgs[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

KExts
As far as I could monitor it I had these extra KEXTs running:
(S/L/E = /System/Library/Extensions/, E/E = /Extra/Extensions/)
  • S/L/E/HDAEnabler892.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • S/L/E/RealtekTRL81xx.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • E/E/ACL8xxHDA.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • E/E/SleepEnabler.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • E/E/IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • E/E/FakeSMC.kext[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Issues
  • Some Audio PRO Apps started to sizzle. If that happens start Audio MIDI Setup of OS X and change the Bit Rate... just change it a few times... it goes away for some time then. Or get a Behringer UCA 202 or similar USB soundcard.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • Only Legacy Kernel. iMac Sandy Bridge and/or 10.6.7 might fix that.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • GFX gamma control broken. GFX Resolution/Hz switching buggy: blue screen,works after reboot.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]
  • 3D Fullscreen only works with fullscreen resolution set to desktop resolution, probably same for bit depth and Hz, and VSYNC on.[/*:m:jdc41aj4]

Thanks to TonyMac, Lnx2Mac, MacMan, Nawcom etc.

p.s. the attached file is no use for you if you already own/have the board. It has been created with DSDTSE.

Attachments

• Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 BIOS=F2 unmodified DSDT.dsdt.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 178
I will try this next week when board comes, does sleep work perfectly?

keypox said:
A.) Monitor goes sleep after some time (probably the gfx card hardware), click the mouse and it goes back up = working

B.) System sleep worked perfectly as well, I didn't even care but once I had it running and did nothing and I thought it was off, clicked the mouse, went on again.... I cannot test again cause I dismantled it ... getting x58/1336 (GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0).

damndoe said:
keypox said:
A.) Monitor goes sleep after some time (probably the gfx card hardware), click the mouse and it goes back up = working

B.) System sleep worked perfectly as well, I didn't even care but once I had it running and did nothing and I thought it was off, clicked the mouse, went on again.... I cannot test again cause I dismantled it ... getting x58/1336 (GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0).

cool thanks. Why are you changing motherboards now? Leaving sandy bridge as well?

I'll be giving this a whirl tonight/this weekend.

I'll give it a try in some days. I order my Hardware today so i hope i can start with the project this weekend.

This is my setup:
  • CPU: Intel i5-2500 K[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • MB: Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • VGA: Gigabyte HD6870OC[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • RAM: Corsair XMS3 Dominator DHX @ 1600MHz 2x4GB[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • PSU: be quiet! Straight Power E8 580W[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • FAN: be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • HDD: WD 500 GB SATA 300, Caviar Black[/*:m:zegr4riw]
  • CASE: MS-TECH CA-0500 Alu[/*:m:zegr4riw]

I'll give you a conclusion of the experiences i made, when i started my work.

damndoe said:
So did it work for you?

Negative. I could boot into iBoot Legacy, but when I select my OSX disc the screen loses signal and my CPU fan starts running at full blast.

However, I tried again today with the -v GraphicsEnabler=no PCIRootUID=1 arguments and I was able to boot into the Snow Leopard installer. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to go further.

My guess it that my video card (Radeon HD 6850) is the culprit here.

Ill be giving this a try tomorrow, as long as i get delivery.

damndoe have you tried 10.6.7 SB update with the new kernel?

No I have not. But its as easy as that. In my installation guide you find instructions how to use Carbon Copy Cloner. Just update to 10.6.6 as explained. Carbon Copy Cloner everything. Then you can upgrade just one of the 2 Mac OS X installations with 10.6.7 and see if and how it runs. I won't be able to install 10.6.7 as I dismantled the P67/1155 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back