Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge Builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
assoricks said:
That's soo amazing!
I'm waiting for the BIG price-drop.
I'd really like to buy a Core i5 760 for ~180€.
30€ less would be nice!
:wave: assoricks
You will probably be waiting a while for any "price drops" except on some of the more pricey 1366 cpu's. For example, the E8600 dual core socket 775 CPU I bought 2 years, 2 months ago for $269 - is currently selling for $289 (this is at Newegg) The quad core q9650 is the same way - hasn't dropped in price for a long time.

We're still testing on some boards, but let's put it this way, there's one manufacturer that is still using BIOS rather than UEFI and those boards should all work the same old way.
Stay tuned for more...

Stephen_Harris said:
assoricks said:
That's soo amazing!
I'm waiting for the BIG price-drop.
I'd really like to buy a Core i5 760 for ~180€.
30€ less would be nice!
:wave: assoricks

If you buy the i5 760 the multiplier for that cpu is 10x. So don't buy memory over
1333 (10x 133) because to use 1600, you must OverClock. the 9xx cpus (1366 MB) have
a multiplier of 12x (12x 133) = 1600 so don't require overclocking the cpu. But there is very little performance advantage to 1600 vs. 1333, that is vendor hype.

But 1600 ram should work underclocked, right? (i planed to buy 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz for my build)
Does the bios underclock the ram automatically to 1333?
My current PC uses an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 (2x3Ghz) with 4 GB of 800 Mhz Corsair memory. I don't think that there will be a big performance advantage because it's pretty fast anyway :cool:

I hate the short lifespan of pc technology.
2 months ago I planed to buy the GA-P55M-UD2, but it isn't available anymore in great german stores since december. I think the GA-H55M-UD2H for my new build will be thrown out the same way, when sandy bridge arrives the stores.
I have no idea : Wait for sweet sandy? Or buy an end of life technology as fast as I can, to get one before it's kicked from the market?
I really need to think about that question. I haven't got money to burn! :|

assoricks :wave:

These new chips look very promising and an early breakthrough using them with OSX is great.

Will probably hang fire for a month or two and wait and see what happens.

Should make a fantastic Hackintosh :)

thelostswede said:
We're still testing on some boards, but let's put it this way, there's one manufacturer that is still using BIOS rather than UEFI and those boards should all work the same old way.
Stay tuned for more...

Yeah, Gigabyte... I wonder why they bucked the trend?

ddt said:
thelostswede said:
Stay tuned for more...

Yeah, Gigabyte... I wonder why they bucked the trend?
Gigabyte supports UEFI bios , but they have just not implemented it yet due to bugs. am I wrong?

Should we buy boards with UEFI bios or OLD bios??

As I said, we're still trying things out, so bare with us and we'll let you know. You lot are too eager, it's early days still ;)

We've got both Asus and MSI boards with UEFI, so we'll see how those work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back