Contribute
Register

Sandy Bridge Builds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Gigabyte boards will not be going EFI and will still use BIOS, while the ASUS boards will be EFI, odd.

Although I hear that the GIGABYTE boards have 'future support' for EFI? wtf would that mean?

Realize I will not be able to hackintosh my SB build right away but was planning on building it to hackintosh down the road when support came up to speed.

Current plan:
CPU: 2600K
MOBO: Gigabyte UD4
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 2000
GPU: GTX 460 or 470

Lots of great info in this post.

The advantages of SB are:
Price
Integrated graphics
Power consumption

I'm not sure waiting is the best option. I hope the community finds some good solutions to utilize the integrated graphics. So far I don't think there are any good solutions for intel graphics. So it will be necessary for some time to come to also buy discrete graphics for your board. Which seems to negate the main advantage to the SB system.

I hope in the future we can build systems on SB utilizing the integrated graphics. This would make for a really nice fast system that could be packaged in a really small case.

One of the best systems that can be made now is with H55 board and i7-540 and GT 220 Low profile. This system provides Speed, Power, Low Profile, small size, and a great price.

Tony has done a great job outlining how to utilize the HDMi on the GT220
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/10/ ... tions.html
and his i3 mini-build is smart, light, small, fast and cheap.
http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=4802

The solutions available now are good and it will likely be quite a while before Sandy Bridge can be fully utilized for all of its advantages.

So if waiting a year is okay, then wait. But if you want a good system now there are already some great options available that will get you most of the advantages that we are waiting for in Sandy Bridge.

Keep the Sandy Bridge info coming.

rabbit.

After TonyMac's Mini-ITX guide with GA-H55N-USB3, I started thinking about building my own little rig. I already have most of the components (RAM, HD, LCD, Keyboard/Mouse, Speakers, even DVDRom).

However, I wonder how Mini-ITX with 1155 socket will be integrated with SL...

ASUS Mini-ITX P8H67-I with WiFi
ECS H67H2-I no WiFi
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3 no WiFi
Zotac H67 Mini ITX with WiFi

I'm buying a i5 2500k when it came out

Sandy bridge motherboards manufacturers share the same chip (Realtek 8111E,ALC889...) but gigabyte is the only one without uefi bios, so do you think it'a better bet to go with another brand ?

I'm thinking of a Msi P67A-GD65

sub said:
I'm buying a i5 2500k when it came out

Sandy bridge motherboards manufacturers share the same chip (Realtek 8111E,ALC889...) but gigabyte is the only one without uefi bios, so do you think it'a better bet to go with another brand ?

I'm thinking of a Msi P67A-GD65
Only the two top Gigabyte boards have the 889 audio chip. I don't think the bios makes a bit of difference, as from what I had read the new GUI is just a front end for the same good ole' fashioned bios underneath.

12 DAYS LEFT
http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/ ... eased.html

The Asus UEFI BIOS looks like this:
p67-UEFI-04.jpg

Cmon Gigabyte, get with the program...

We should be able to test OSX on one of these quite soon. People are already acquiring the new cpu/boards and posting overclocking results.

According to various sources, OS X 10.6.6 is coming out soon in couple of weeks. Since Sandy Bridges are expected in the same time, I found it very suspicious. :)

I say, it is possible that there will be a support for new CPU chipsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back