Contribute
Register

Samsung SM 951

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the BIOS recognize the Lycom PCIe adapter with the Samsung SM951 as a drive? Or a PCI RAID device?

Hi Stork - just went into bios and it did not to see any good info that quickly - here are the screen shots I got. Not sure if that helps. If there is a better way please let me know I can script in something on boot...etc.

It should be noted I currently have an ocz rev 2 drive that shows up in bios as 4 x 30GB in a RAID 0. On start the bios flashes with that data but nothing I can see for the samsung - samsung seems to show and act as if it is internal SATA SSD on boot / bios. I could not seem to find it in BIOS but it does show up in OS X plain as day and is super fast as a normal internal drive.

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 203
I should probably clarify it isn't that this drive doesn't work on the Mac as boot drive, it does and I have had it work. My issue is that I can only boot from it using Clover and right now Clover and X99 has issues. I got it working really great with all my setup stuff and some beta Clover plugins and then stupidly decided to try to overclock my CPU and when I did that I couldn't get it back to a working state even after un-doing everything I changed.

gabrieljsmith1,
Chameleon/Chimera won't see the PCIe/Samsung because the BIOS can not see it. So, I'm guessing that you'll have to try Clover as Einsteiniac suggested. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Clover.

gabrieljsmith1,
Chameleon/Chimera won't see the PCIe/Samsung because the BIOS can not see it. So, I'm guessing that you'll have to try Clover as Einsteiniac suggested. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Clover.

Thanks all. Does anyone know if chimera can be updated or tweaked to see said drive?

Thank you Stork for your quick reply and brainiac! Brainiac if your willing to take a stab at suggestions on x79 please let us know.

Thanks!!

Thanks all. Does anyone know if chimera can be updated or tweaked to see said drive?...
I recommend you post your request in the Chimera Features Request forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/chimera-feature-requests/

Also be advised that the tonymacx86 rules state:
Advertising and Solicitation
  • No member can ask, accept, offer or provide any form of compensation to any other member for any form of assistance.
  • We do not allow members to post threads or to send private messages or emails to other members that advertise products or services or solicit for funds or donations.

I could not seem to find it in BIOS
With a M.2 supported BIOS, the SM 951 shows as a boot selection. Unlikely, the X79 BIOS would be updated to support a new hardware supported feature. Consider 9 series or newer motherboards.

@Stork,

The riser card should just route the appropriate wiring. There certainly aren't any chips on the thing, just a few capacitors and resistors.

I've just got one to use as my boot drive as my GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 has an M.2 slot on the board. Unfortunately the required BIOS update (F5 is required to use as a boot drive) has screwed my Yosemite install and it now won't boot.

Chimera does recognise it (post BIOS update) also. As soon as I've done some fault-finding, I'll update with speeds and see how it compares to the one in my 2015 MBP 13". Now, where did I leave that UniBeast stick...?

Yes same here it sees drive post boot via chimera. SM951 runs great as an internal drive. Now that el cap is out - perhaps the clover method will see this drive? Have not had time to do the clover / el cap install - but if anyone has with the X79 UD5 please let me know. Might sell this X79 to get X99 or a skylake and keep the m951 as a boot. Anyone see any skylake hackintosh with sm951 boot?

Thanks

Yes same here it sees drive post boot via chimera. SM951 runs great as an internal drive. Now that el cap is out - perhaps the clover method will see this drive? Have not had time to do the clover / el cap install - but if anyone has with the X79 UD5 please let me know. Might sell this X79 to get X99 or a skylake and keep the m951 as a boot. Anyone see any skylake hackintosh with sm951 boot?

Thanks

anybody ever able to boot from this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back