Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 NVMe SSD is ok

Motherboard
i5
Graphics
Iris 6100
I am not really a glutton for punishment. I like to tinker and have been trying to update the firmware of the EVO 970 Plus for a few days, but without a PC, I am not sure if it is possible.
I installed an EVO 970 in my Early 2015 MBP 13" about 8 months ago and bought the 970 Plus for my wife. She will not tolerate any glitches, so I think I will return and go with another EVO 970.
Is the power/heat management of the 970 Plus a lot better? I suppose I could install my EVO 970 in her MBP and keep tinkering with the 970 Plus on MY machine if the benefits are worth it. Any thoughts? I am a pretty mainstream user so probably don't need the 50% increase in read/write speeds that the 970 Plus offers.
TIA

Mac
MacBook Pro
@TaurianVita
I installed a 970 Plus in a MBP Mid 2015 (Sintech Adapter) and so far it works great. I had to update the firmware though because otherwise it would self-reset during system boot.

FW update was MUCH simpler than I thought: you can simply use Etcher to write the 970 Plus Update ISO to an USB Stick (which was prepped with FAT32 and GUID partitioning.) The ISO is already EFI enabled so all you need to do is plug it in, hold option and select the EFI boot volume. That will start the Linux based update with ran without any issues.

As I said - so far no issues and read/write performance are better than with the EVO 960 I had used before.

At first I had used an external eclosure to dd the contents 1:1 from the old drive to the new one, but it turned out that my original APFS might have been borked a bit. I then just re-installed from the last TM backup and everything is excellent since then.

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
@TaurianVita
I installed a 970 Plus in a MBP Mid 2015 (Sintech Adapter) and so far it works great. I had to update the firmware though because otherwise it would self-reset during system boot.

FW update was MUCH simpler than I thought: you can simply use Etcher to write the 970 Plus Update ISO to an USB Stick (which was prepped with FAT32 and GUID partitioning.) The ISO is already EFI enabled so all you need to do is plug it in, hold option and select the EFI boot volume. That will start the Linux based update with ran without any issues.

As I said - so far no issues and read/write performance are better than with the EVO 960 I had used before.

At first I had used an external eclosure to dd the contents 1:1 from the old drive to the new one, but it turned out that my original APFS might have been borked a bit. I then just re-installed from the last TM backup and everything is excellent since then.
You need to have your hardware profile filled out as per rules (the ones you agreed to when signing up here)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
It's working perfect after firmware update. I have been using it for more than a week with no issues.
still working perfectly or did you experienced some trouble?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370P D3
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX 580 / RX 5700 XT
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Mine's now been installed in the machine for months (since the firmware update was released) and has been fine.

I recently (in the last few weeks) moved some data around and I'm now using it as the MacOSX boot drive under Mojave. Working great and super fast! :)