Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe + 860 EVO SATA (TRIM NOT WORKING?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realize that Trim has nothing to do with that "purgeable" space, right?

If you are on Big Sur, it's most likely snapshots.

I’m on Catalina.

I’m not saying it does (although many reports indicate that trim operational SSD’s usually have less purgeable). Just want to make sure everything is ok.

According to the GitHub bug, these Samsung 970 Evos don’t perform Trim within the normal timeout time, although everything seems fine. The only way to test it, is to increase the “AFPS TrimTimeOut” parameter on OC, which I can’t because I’m on Clover.

Based on that logic, since my boot times are unaffected, my Trim probably isn’t working.

(although many reports indicate that trim operational SSD’s usually have less purgeable)

I don't know how this is possible.

I don't know how this is possible.

It’s not really relevant. What I’m looking for are ways to test if Trim is working correctly:
The idea is to measure the boot time either between motherboard logo and macOS login screen or between Apple logo and macOS login screen. The former is strongly recommended due to possible GOP issues. All the measurements needs to be done with different SetApfsTrimTimeout values set in OpenCore. Each measurement must be made at least 2 or 3 three times to ensure no sporadic results. The values to test are as follows:

1. 999 (minimal timeout, means TRIM is disabled)
  2. -1 (standard timeout, equals roughly 10 seconds, means TRIM is enabled and runs up 10 seconds during boot)
  3. 4294967295 (maximum timeout, TRIM is enabled and runs as long as needed)
  • An SSD with a decent TRIM implementation should behave as follows. Value 1 will be negligibly the fastest. Value 2 might be slightly slower than 2 (way less than by 10 seconds, maybe 2-5). Value 3 should be equal to value 2.
  • An SSD with a broken TRIM implementation, like Samsung, will have value 2 slower than value 1 by 10 seconds, and value 3 will be noticeably slower than value 2, usually by 30-60 seconds.

It’s not really relevant. What I’m looking for are ways to test if Trim is working correctly:

If there's nothing to Trim, you won't see any slow down during the boot process... Maybe try loading up your drive with all kinds of junk and then deleting them then immediately reboot.

If there's nothing to Trim, you won't see any slow down during the boot process... Maybe try loading up your drive with all kinds of junk and then deleting them then immediately reboot.

Maybe a coincidence and non-Trim related, but the purgeable just went down. Didn’t do anything, pc was just idling.

Attachments

• F64FD7B8-5BE5-41BF-8FEB-0608E568B8E4.jpeg
    F64FD7B8-5BE5-41BF-8FEB-0608E568B8E4.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DCB84136-507D-4BF5-A063-317919C6F0AD.jpeg
    DCB84136-507D-4BF5-A063-317919C6F0AD.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back