Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe + 860 EVO SATA (TRIM NOT WORKING?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm late to the conversation but here are my two-pennies worth:

Option 1.
You can Add the Enable Trim patch in the KextsToPatch section of your Clover config.plist. The Patch is available from the drop down list at the bottom of the main window. As shown below.

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 20.55.59.png

Option 2.
You can use the 'sudo trimforce enable' Terminal command, this will require you to enter your password, confirmation that you wish to proceed and for the system to reboot. Before Trim will be enabled.

Neither of these options require you to enable the OpenCore ThirdPartyDrives quirk.

I don't know of any other way to check if Trim is actually doing what it's supposed to. I've always just taken the word of System Information as fact.

When I check my Disk Utility, both drives show a huge ammount of space as "purgeable". I believe this means Trim is not working properly?

The NVMe's I think always say "Trim support Yes". But why does my Sata drive show Trim support: No?

Last edited:
I'm late to the conversation but here are my two-pennies worth:

Option 1.
You can Add the Enable Trim patch in the KextsToPatch section of your Clover config.plist. The Patch is available from the drop down list at the bottom of the main window. As shown below.

View attachment 524963

Option 2.
You can use the 'sudo trimforce enable' Terminal command, this will require you to enter your password, confirmation that you wish to proceed and for the system to reboot. Before Trim will be enabled.

Neither of these options require you to enable the OpenCore ThirdPartyDrives quirk.

Thanks! I’ve tried the 'sudo trimforce enable' with no success.

I can try the Clover patch. There’s no need to mount EFI before or anything? Just select that patch and save?

Also, is it supposed to have “disabled” ticked like mine does? Should I untick?

Attachments

• D4DEC22E-BD27-4FF9-9E2C-1E20E63B3F19.jpeg
    D4DEC22E-BD27-4FF9-9E2C-1E20E63B3F19.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 38
When I check my Disk Utility, both drives show a huge ammount of space as "purgeable". I believe this means Trim is not working properly?

No.

The NVMe's I think always say "Trim support Yes". But why does my Sata drive show Trim support: No?

I believe, by default, Trim is always enabled for NVMe SSDs in macOS and disabled for SATA SSDs.

What do you mean you tried the Terminal command with no success? What result did Terminal display when you entered the command? Can you post a screenshot of the Terminal screen after you entered the command, confirmed you are happy to proceed with the task, entered your password etc. Did the system reboot automatically after you entered the command etc?

You always need to mount the EFI Partition to access the EFI folder if you are wanting to edit your config.plist. If you are not mounting the EFI partition then you will probably be editing the wrong config.plist. When you save the config.plist and reboot the system the patch will not work, because you are probably editing a backup of your config.plist.

Yes, you need to remove the 'tick' from the patch to enable it in Clover configurator. I am not sure why this is set as disabled when you select it, but it needs to be enabled before you save the change and reboot the system.

What do you mean you tried the Terminal command with no success? What result did Terminal display when you entered the command? Can you post a screenshot of the Terminal screen after you entered the command, confirmed you are happy to proceed with the task, entered your password etc. Did the system reboot automatically after you entered the command etc?

You always need to mount the EFI Partition to access the EFI folder if you are wanting to edit your config.plist. If you are not mounting the EFI partition then you will probably be editing the wrong config.plist. When you save the config.plist and reboot the system the patch will not work, because you are probably editing a backup of your config.plist.

Yes, you need to remove the 'tick' from the patch to enable it in Clover configurator. I am not sure why this is set as disabled when you select it, but it needs to be enabled before you save the change and reboot the system.

Yes, I did the trimforce command properly (twice already). Enter password, accept, accept. System reboots. Still says “Trim support: No” for my Sata.

Thanks, I’ll try the kext patch next.

Update: tried the kext patch, was unable to boot even in safe mode

Managed to replace my config.plist with a backup thru the Clover shell. Still no trim tho

After reading post #16 I went and setup a new Mojave installation on a Samsung EVO 840 SSD in my Haswell Z87/i5-4440/GTX780Ti system, which is the closest match I have to your Ivy Bridge Desktop system.

I first applied the Terminal command, which proceeded through the reboot but didn't work. As you also found.

I then applied the KextToPatch entry to the Clover config.plist, which worked. This showed Trim as working in the System Information > SATA/SATA Express report.

I then removed the Clover setup and switched to an OpenCore EFI folder with the 'ThirdPartyDrives' option disabled. After I rebooted the system System Information showed that trim was disabled as expected.

I then set the ThirdPartyDrives option to enabled in the config.plist. After a reboot and Nvram Reset this showed Trim as working in the System Information > SATA/SATA Express report.

So two of the three options available to enable trim worked on my Samsung EVO 840 SATA SSD.

None of the systems I run with NVMe drives show any information about Trim, these are assumed to be working correctly. I have been using a pair of Samsung SM951 NMVE (PCIe) drives for about 6 years and never noticed any issues with them, once the need to patch the system to use NVME PCIe drives was remedied.

Here is a screenshot showing the report for one of the two NVMe PCIe drives.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 17.52.43.png No mention of Trim.

Bottom line is the KextToPatch trim patch should work with your system. I would try enabling it again.

I then set the ThirdPartyDrives option to enabled in the config.plist. After a reboot and Nvram Reset this showed Trim as working in the System Information > SATA/SATA Express report.
just done the same on my laptop and trim is enabled by enabling ThirdPartyDrives with no other patches etc :)

After reading post #16 I went and setup a new Mojave installation on a Samsung EVO 840 SSD in my Haswell Z87/i5-4440/GTX780Ti system, which is the closest match I have to your Ivy Bridge Desktop system.

I first applied the Terminal command, which proceeded through the reboot but didn't work. As you also found.

I then applied the KextToPatch entry to the Clover config.plist, which worked. This showed Trim as working in the System Information > SATA/SATA Express report.

I then removed the Clover setup and switched to an OpenCore EFI folder with the 'ThirdPartyDrives' option disabled. After I rebooted the system System Information showed that trim was disabled as expected.

So two of the three options available to enable trim worked on my Samsung EVO 840 SATA SSD.

None of the systems I run with NVMe drives show any information about Trim, these are assumed to be working correctly. I have been using a pair of Samsung SM951 NMVE (PCIe) drives for about 6 years and never noticed any issues with them, once the need to patch the system to use NVME PCIe drives was remedied.

Here is a screenshot showing the report for one of the two NVMe PCIe drives.

View attachment 525057 No mention of Trim.

Bottom line is the KextToPatch trim patch should work with your system. I would try enabling it again.

Thanks for your effort. Could it be related to the bug on post #3 that affects this particular unit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back