Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
For everyone having issues with EVO Plus drives as install drives with Mojave you need to update the firmware on a W10 OS with Samsung Magician for them to be compatible.

A question I have is whether anyone had noticed a performance drop when updating from High Sierra to Mojave?

Or does a performance drop occur between APFS and HFS+?

I have noticed that I’ve dropped about 500 Mbs on both read and writes in comparison to my HS setup on my Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB.

Did anyone tried installing Mojave on to 970 EVO?

I'm using an EVO 970 Pro 1TB (HFS+) for samples and sound libraries, and a "regular" EVO 970 500GB (APFS) for OS and Apps.

How fast ist your 970 Pro?

I've just got 2600 MB/s reading and 2550 MB/s writing.

Don't know what to do to get better results.

This fast:

This fast.png

The Samsung 970 EVO works fine. It's just the 970 EVO Plus that's a pain.
I heard that using 970 EVO when working with video editing (Final cut) doesn't primarily depend on the hard drive speed?

Yeppers. If you're going to be doing that (I still use a couple 2.5" 860 EVOs inside the machine for video) you might want to have at least 32GB of RAM. I'm using 64 GB RAM, but I'm using the 970 Pro for orchestral samples with VEP7.

How many 970's are you using?

I'm using a 970 EVO Plus for Windows and looking to purchase the 970 EVO for Mojave.

Got 970 EVO Plus 500GB. I downloaded latest 10.14.6 and installed without any problem. No problem so far, and the drive came with latest firmware 2B2QEXM7. I don't know what driver and test should I perform to make sure it's working correctly. Please suggest me if I missed anything? Thank you.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back