Contribute
Register

Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im having a ton of trouble with this drive (970 evo 500gb). Every time ive tried to erase it in disk utility it freezes my system after a few seconds. Same happens if i try carbon copy cloner, i hit copy it starts, gets about halfway through and freezes or reboots at Library/PrivateFrameworks/data...ers.plugin/versions/a/rec...Dont know if it has something to do with the new mojave update? im on 10.14.3 and running a ssd but wanted to upgrade to this. anybody have any thoughts?

Im having a ton of trouble with this drive (970 evo 500gb). Every time ive tried to erase it in disk utility it freezes my system after a few seconds. Same happens if i try carbon copy cloner, i hit copy it starts, gets about halfway through and freezes or reboots at Library/PrivateFrameworks/data...ers.plugin/versions/a/rec...Dont know if it has something to do with the new mojave update? im on 10.14.3 and running a ssd but wanted to upgrade to this. anybody have any thoughts?

I'm on the latest version of Mojave and have no problems with the 970 EVO.

My 970 EVO Plus behaved the same way, and it wasn't even the macOS drive. I switched it over to NTFS, installed the Samsung driver on Windows, and I now use it for games. My macOS system still rebooted within 5 seconds of logging in, but I noticed that my I install USB stick (which I used as a last resort) sometimes runs more stable. This gave more time to mess around with Clover Configurator.

Long story short is my Mojave 10.14.2 is stable and running well, but I have no idea whether it was switching the 970 to NTFS or disabling the Trim patch or Patching my USB properly OR a combination of all three!

My 970 EVO Plus behaved the same way, and it wasn't even the macOS drive. I switched it over to NTFS, installed the Samsung driver on Windows, and I now use it for games. My macOS system still rebooted within 5 seconds of logging in, but I noticed that my I install USB stick (which I used as a last resort) sometimes runs more stable. This gave more time to mess around with Clover Configurator.

Long story short is my Mojave 10.14.2 is stable and running well, but I have no idea whether it was switching the 970 to NTFS or disabling the Trim patch or Patching my USB properly OR a combination of all three!

Good info. Thanks for sharing. I've been trying to do a fresh install on it; just to see if it would get through a hyper vanilla install just rule things out. So far, no luck. It gets to the second phase of install and crashes. I'm thinking this will also be my new Windows drive. LOL.

Glad I found this thread. Just completed a new build with the 970 EVO Plus and it indeed causes kernel panics. Pulled my hair out looking for the cause. Just exchanged the Plus for the Pro and voila! All working now.

Thanks to you all for your posts!!!

Tom

Whilst I have a perfectly working Hackintosh machine running from an older Kingston SSD, I've now acquired a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD both as a speed and capacity upgrade. My Asus Z270-Prime mobo supports this drive and it works 100% in Windows on the same Hackintosh machine.

When trying to do a clean install to the Samsung, the Mojave installation stalls when I use disk utility to erase the 970. I can erase the 970 inside macOS running from the Kingston. I've tried cloning from the Kingston to the Samsung using Carbon Copy Cloner and installing Clover to the 970 EFI, but it still doesn't boot. The last line item displayed before the boot process stops confirms a kernel panic.

Has anyone experienced any of this and is there something in particular that you would recommend I try, like a specific kext or setting when using the Clover Configurator? In particular, I would like for a clean install to work to confirm that all is in order with the 970.

Thanks in advance

Whilst I have a perfectly working Hackintosh machine running from an older Kingston SSD, I've now acquired a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD both as a speed and capacity upgrade. My Asus Z270-Prime mobo supports this drive and it works 100% in Windows on the same Hackintosh machine.

When trying to do a clean install to the Samsung, the Mojave installation stalls when I use disk utility to erase the 970. I can erase the 970 inside macOS running from the Kingston. I've tried cloning from the Kingston to the Samsung using Carbon Copy Cloner and installing Clover to the 970 EFI, but it still doesn't boot. The last line item displayed before the boot process stops confirms a kernel panic.

Has anyone experienced any of this and is there something in particular that you would recommend I try, like a specific kext or setting when using the Clover Configurator? In particular, I would like for a clean install to work to confirm that all is in order with the 970.

Thanks in advance

The 970 EVO works. I use one everyday with my hack.

The 970 EVO Plus does not work. It will cause kernel panics.

If you have the non-Plus version of the 970 EVO, just do the following:
  1. Initialize the 970 EVO with Disk Utility to APFS.
  2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your Kingston to the 970 EVO.
  3. When done, mount the EFI partition of both SSDs.
  4. Copy the entire EFI folder from the Kingston's EFI partition to the 970 EVO's EFI partition.
  5. Done.

Last edited:
The 970 EVO works. I used one everyday with my hack.

The 970 EVO Plus does not work. It will cause kernel panics.

If you have the non-Plus version of the 970 EVO, just do the following:
  1. Initialize the 970 EVO with Disk Utility to APFS.
  2. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your Kingston to the 970 EVO.
  3. When done, mount the EFI partition of both SSDs.
  4. Copy the entire EFI folder from the Kingston's EFI partition to the 970 EVO's EFI partition.
  5. Done.
Thank you. I do indeed have the Plus version :/ Chose it over the normal version due to MLC instead of TLC and at about the same price, it also performs better. The obvious choice I suppose, until one realises this detail about the Plus version not working with Mojave.

The supplier is out of stock on the normal version. My only other option at this point is the 970 Pro, albeit 30% more expensive. Do you know whether the 970 Pro has been confirmed to work?

Thank you. I do indeed have the Plus version :/ Chose it over the normal version due to MLC instead of TLC and at about the same price, it also performs better. The obvious choice I suppose, until one realises this detail about the Plus version not working with Mojave.

The supplier is out of stock on the normal version. My only other option at this point is the 970 Pro, albeit 30% more expensive. Do you know whether the 970 Pro has been confirmed to work?

The Pro works very well with macOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back