Contribute
Register

Sabertooth Z77 i7 3770K GTX 670 Halfway Through: I need some good hint!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Guys!
Just lately I've put together a new machine and I'm in need to update my config signature, but I can't 'till I'll be able to have it work as it should!

Here are the steps I've taken:

# I cloned my current Hackintosh install (SL 10.6.8) from the machine where it's working OK on a new SSD.

# From the SSD I moved out all the KEXT from the Extra/Extension folder.

# I created the USB flash drive with UniBeast Mountain Lion and booted it on the new i7 where I also placed the cloned SSD.

# The USB drive worked perfectly and ML was installed updating the SSD

# Trying to boot from the SSD I get KP and I'm able to boot only in Safe Mode (-x)

# After I was able to boot in safe mode I installed 10.8.2 Update and again in safe mode I used MultiBeast to enable Audio (still not working) and try different configurations (GraphicsEnabler=No, etc...)

The situation at the mo' is that I can only boot in Safe Mode: either I get the flickering black & white screen or a KP.
I noticed that even after installing MultiBeast there are no KEXT in the Extra/Extension folder: is that correct?
Should I try to move back the Extensions I was using with SL/i5 1556?

I would appreciate any hint on how to proceed trying to solve this mess... Alternatively I believe I shall forget about the cloning and start afresh, but I still hope that some of your brilliant minds can see the stones I'm stumbling upon and help me avoid them!

TIA

Thanks Julian! I will check your suggestions about MultiBeast, and indeed one important step I missed was to modify the BIOS settings.

First I will try out duplicating what I found here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-i7-2600k-16-gb-ram-dual-evga-gtx-660tis.html

Thereafter I will eventually try to flash the BIOS if the above doesn't work but I'm a little reticent in doing it, since I use this machine under Win7/64 too, and I'm not sure how it will behave with a patched BIOS and I'm not willing to flash the BIOS each and every time I have to switch OS... but again thanks for the input so now at least I have a valid path to explore!

Cheers

PS: I've carefully read about the modified BIOS and I'm actually confident that this is the way to follow and eventually fix my problems! I will report back! :arrow:

Update:
the BIOS flashing did not solve the issue, but since it's done, I'm OK with it and at least have eliminated one source of trouble.

The only way I was able to enter the ML desktop was in Safe mode, and I'm still unable to install properly MultiBeast (latest version): as for solving the first trouble and being able to load properly ML I did solve it somehow following some of the steps taken here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...bertooth-z77-core-i7-3770k-gtx-660-ti-2g.html

thanks to alexramone :wave: now I can load to ML Finder without trouble. I'm not sure what solved the KP boot: if it was using Chamaleon instead of Chimera, or more simply using a different Mac profile (iMac13.1).

I have to check the whole system, but most things seem to be active and recognized.
At the moment the main issue is to activate the Audio and to have the BluRay Teac Slot load combo available (the Burn Disk feature in the sys profile is empty); the Audio has now I/O options available, but no sound is ever heard!

And most problematic is MultiBeast is still failing to install properly: I'm almost sure this issue is stemming from the fact I used a cloned SL system running on another Hackintosh, and that the KEXT cache may not be cleared/rebuild properly (BTW even KEXT Wizard has the two Extras options to repair permission and to clear the cache unavailable and I don't know why!): possibly I will solve this by applying this procedure

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...157-multibeast-install-failed.html#post398666

From a shell, run the commands:

sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

The second command showed me which kext's it didn't like (IOUSBAttachedSCSI in my case). I deleted that kext and re-ran the command, and it completed successfully. Then I ran multibeast again and it worked fine.

step by step I will gain a working ML install on a new machine coming from an old one.

Let's say I'm three quarters of the ford right now...;)

Cheers

I wasn't able to fix Multibeast failure and it still won't work.

Anyway I was able to fix my Audio Realtek ALC892 installing a modified KEXT by toleda :thumbup: so that I have now reached the other shore! :headbang:

I still have to fix the Teac BD C26SSA93 BluRay Combo slot load: if I boot with a disc inserted it's now recognized both in the Sys Profiler's Disc Burning (albeit not for Blu Ray) and in Toast with full support BR DL included! thanks to Dil83 patched KEXT referred here.

If I may say the crossing has been successful (knock on wood) I still cannot leave the boat...:think:

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated!

TIA

its a little tricky to follow your thread, what is the current issue you have?
can only boot in via safe mode?

Hi samisnake!
No, actually I'm now on the very working ML machine and I'm nearly there to have it full functioning. As I said there remains the only trouble activating the Optical burner/reader that is working only if I boot with a loaded disc...

Given I took a treacherous path cloning my SL to an SSD and implanting it in a new machine willing to update it to ML I've met a few quirks along the process I solved bypassing the use of the latest tools tony is so kindly giving:

# Unibeast wasn't working properly with the already known trouble of not recognizing ML, but I was able to install it using an older version, and the SSD SL was updated correctly to ML, but I was able to boot only in safe mode 'till I installed Chameleon and used Chameleon Wizard

# Thereafter I had to make some turn around since the latest MultiBeast won't finalize the install and I had no Sound after 10.8.2 update. MultiBeast is still not working at all even if I moved out many KEXT (mainly the Bluetooth kind, I'm not using) and tried the clear cache etc.

...but I'm almost there! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back