Contribute
Register

RX 460 with Native Sierra Support I Found it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will definitely pick up a G brand RX 480 or 470 soon to try out, maybe the next update will show us more options.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ning-macos-beta-windows-10-crossfire.1984213/ says that while it may be the easiest Radeon board to install it still will not show the Apple boot screen, so firmware flashing will probably be in the future. Now I'm wondering if an R480 will be made strictly for the MAC; price unknown, obviously, but if the past is any indicator...

Regarding 460, sure, but I think he was asking about the RX 480... ;)

To me it's the first Polaris card with a semblance of support. My benchmarks seem to fall in line with what the card is designed to handle. I'm ready for the 480 to get support, it has 2 to 3 times the performance. I'm planning a mini itx rig soon, this will be good for light gaming (1080p) and movies @4k.

Yes, of course. But what if you have a Mac Pro and don't want to be stuck with some low powered GPU? What if you'd rather have 4GB (or for that matter, 8GB) of VRAM instead of 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1G? What if you don't want to spend $500 for a GPU that can work in a Mac Pro?

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dual-rx-480s-in-mac-pro-5-1-running-ma
Yes, of course. But what if you have a Mac Pro and don't want to be stuck with some low powered GPU? What if you'd rather have 4GB (or for that matter, 8GB) of VRAM instead of 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1G? What if you don't want to spend $500 for a GPU that can work in a Mac Pro?

cos-beta-windows-10-crossfire.1984213/ says that while it may be the easiest Radeon board to install it still will not show the Apple boot screen, so firmware flashing will probably be in the future. Now I'm wondering if an R480 will be made strictly for the MAC; price unknown, obviously, but if the past is any indicator...

Hey Gigamaxx, which RX 460 card did you get to work best and is it 4GB? Thanks!

Gigabyte, RX 460 4gb. It has no 6pin connector and had support in the very beginning of Sierra Betas. It still works great and required no extra settings to get support. People have had success with the sapphire RX 460 as well, but I think they are injecting Vbios and using clover to load it. The Gigabyte runs "natively" or as close as possible to that as Sierra requires igpu, IGFX, igp as primary display to run most AMD cards of recent vintage.

My RX 480 XFX reference 8gb also works and I was able to run it with a RX470 sapphire model in an IGFX crossfire setup and doubled my Luxmark benchmark. From 12,000 to 24,000 y adding the second card.

Last edited:
Hi Gigamaxx,
Just picked up the Gigabyte RX460 2Gb (no 6pin) card today on your recommendation and thought I'd give it a go here. Can you tell me exactly what steps you had to take to get if running there? After installing it and telling the BIOS to use PCIe slot 1 for the Initial Display I proceeded to do a fresh USB install of Sierra. During the second boot from the Clover USB and choosing to boot Sierra through it from my SSD partition I get about 4/5 up the Apple progress scale and it reboots here.

Hi Gigamaxx,
Just picked up the Gigabyte RX460 2Gb (no 6pin) card today on your recommendation and thought I'd give it a go here. Can you tell me exactly what steps you had to take to get if running there? After installing it and telling the BIOS to use PCIe slot 1 for the Initial Display I proceeded to do a fresh USB install of Sierra. During the second boot from the Clover USB and choosing to boot Sierra from my SSD partition I get about 4/5 up the Apple progress scale and it reboots here.
It has to be used with igpu as initial display output. Sierra requires integrated graphics for most of the new AMD cards. There are very few graphics cards that will run with pcie as primary or initial display.

Set bios to IGFX, igp, igpu as primary or initial display. When you get to clover boot screen have the display connected to the igpu, before you hit enter to boot into Sierra, switch the cable to the RX 460, you will have a block screen until you reach the log in screen. This card should be picked up automatically, but if not use the fake ID 0x67ef1002, or EDID 0x67ef1002. Don't inject Intel to get the best acceleration for card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back