Contribute
Register

RX 460 with Native Sierra Support I Found it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Gigabyte RX 460 4GB working sweet on 10.12.1. I know you said you don't use the HDMI audio on the card, but any ideas on how to get it working?

Is there anyway to make in say in computer info that it has a RX 460 like the Macbook Pro?

@Gigamaxx

Do u have any idea why the RX 460 needs a darkboot with the help of the IGPU? Is that a Clover/Hackintosh issue?

What if the RX 460 is put into a real MacPro? Does it just work out of the box?

Yes, on a hack it's a clover issue/requirement for now. In general you lose about 10% efficiency due to integrated grapanics requirement, but when compared to Windows with the same igpu setup it's is equal in performance (apples to apples).

Real Mac Pros don't have the issue as they don't have igpu and they work oob. The RX 480 needs the 4100 kext mod but has double the performance of the 460. Sierra 12.2 Beta 5 has Polaris 10 RX 470-480 support and now there is Vega 10 in the controllers so it looks like Apple has gone with AMD for their near future builds IMO.

I got my Gigabyte RX 460 4GB working sweet on 10.12.1. I know you said you don't use the HDMI audio on the card, but any ideas on how to get it working?

Jerry2345 has his audio patched I believe, he said it's not all that great at this point though. Search him up he may have posted how.

Is there anyway to make in say in computer info that it has a RX 460 like the Macbook Pro?

Are you talking in about this mac System report?
The latest versions of clover bootloader are injecting the name through clover. I do mine through the AmD9500controller using ihex. I set it to XFX RX 480, it's only cosmetic and doesn't have any performance effects.
If you download ihex in App Store open it, go to System/Libraries/Extensions/Amd9500controller kext. Right click and select show package contents. Open macOS folder, the controller is there. Drag controller to desktop first. Then drag from desktop to ihex window. Spread out or expand screen, and about 10-15% of the way down on far right scroll bar when the English appears it's at the top area of that first English readable text.

AMD R9 XXX gets replaced with AMD RX 460 or what ever you want as long as it's the same xxx xx xxx format. Just change the xxx and replace the spaces in between or it will throw off the entire layout and reindeer the controller invalid and unusable.

If you find the text, you need to go to edit on top tool bar and select mode, choose insert to allow you to make the changes, save file and close. Now drag that desktop version over to the 9500kext folder and follow the "authenticate" and "replace" prompts. Then run kext beast or other tool to get repair permissions and clear caches. Chose system/library for destination. Reboot and you should have AMD RX 460 or what ever combo that falls into that pattern.

How is the support for the PowerColor Rx 460?
I'm trying to use triple monitors and I've just sold an r7 360 because I was able to make 2 dvis ports works but not the HDMI.
Now I've found a rx 460 with a very good price. Does anyone knows if it's working well with Sierra?

gigamaxx can u suggest me something I need dual booting for my system and work ..Mac and windows both ..if I get this gpu rx460and rx480 both will work fine ? I mean rx480 is working fine right now but I can't dual boot without taking out cables and its confusing I don't understand how to dual boot on alone rx480 ..what should I do any suggestions ..if this card had full support maybe rx480 can run as a second card

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back