Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, this is my first post in this forum, or, actually, in any forum. So forgive me if I have absolutely no idea where the proper place is to be submitting this.

My friend just got me to purchase all new components to build a hackintosh instead of buying the new Mac Pro this december. I am writing this because I liked the posts about turning on HiDpi for retina type development, but with the price of Seiki's 4k display this Black Friday going down to 500, I was wondering if I was the only person out there to be running a 39" 1920x1080 resolution set to HiDPI? It's like having a very very large retina display, honestly.

I just wanted to find out if there were others out there doing this, and also let people who have been waiting for capable displays know that it is possible now with the 4k displays. The only thing that does kind of suck is the refresh rate dropping back to 30Hz. I assume in the next few years with the release of HDMI 2.0 there will be faster refresh rates available at these resolutions.

Thanks

wow thats really cool, I have been wondering if this was possible for a while. So you're saying you have built a hackintosh that can output at 4k? What are the specs if a may ask? And is it laggy at all? As soon as 4k monitors come down in price I'll buy one for sure. 1920x1080 is a nice screen real estate but going from an retina apple device to my 24inch monitor it seems so pixelated. I am hoping to get one of those Dell 24inch 4k monitors and run it on 1920x1080 HiDPI. Thanks for posting this!

Awesome, thanks! I'll check both of those out. As far as my build goes, I am running:

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H LGA1150
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
Asus GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 Graphic Card - 980 MHz Core - 2 GB GDDR5 SDRAM
Seiki Digital SE39UY04 39-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz LED TV (HDMI out from video card)

(That's the information people are looking for when you post your "build", right? Again, new to this)

Hope that helps! Oh, I should mention, there is one (and only one that I've seen) program that doesn't run well in HiDpi settings on Mavericks: Chrome. It just seems to run super slow when I change the resolution, and then speeds up when I change it back. But other than that, everything works like a charm!

That is one very nice build! Its exciting to see more 4k monitors come out at CES this week, a couple of 4k 28 inch monitors for $799 are looking very promising. There is a Dell one for $699 but its only 30hz, are you running your Seiki at 60hz? I think it requires HDMI 2.0 or Display Port 1.2? I am actually hoping to run the 4k monitor from the newest Intel NUC with a Core i5 and HD 5000 that go for under $700 and are about the size of your hand! And that is interesting that Chrome lags, hope they fix that soon. Does every app run at HiDPI or is it a bit of a mess of resolutions? And how does video and images render? Can you play a 1080p video in 1/4 of your screen? Sorry for so many questions! Thanks for sharing so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back