Contribute
Register

Retina/4k from integrated Graphics/GPU, or do I need additional GPU?

Forgive my ignorance, but I have an easy question.

One of the most important things for me to consider is the ability to run HIGH resolutions 2560x1600+ on a Retina/4k/5k monitor. (You know, the ability to do 300+ PPI)

I simply can't have a computer that doesn't have retina display and high screen area resolutions.

So, all I need to know is what motherboards have integrated graphics that will do this, and which port do I need to look for? HDMI, Display port, Thunderbolt, whatever...I don't know what I should get for a high end 'retina' display.

OR, will I need to buy a graphics card?

My desired build is a QUIET micro-ATX
CPU:Intel Core i5-8600K unlocked LGA 1151 300 Series 95W
RAM: 32gb DDR4
CASE/POWER: I'm looking at a FC9 Alpha Fanless Chassis and ZF240 Fanless 240W ZeroFlex PSU.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Adam

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus P5KPL-AM SE
CPU
E6300
Graphics
9400 GT
Forgive my ignorance, but I have an easy question.

One of the most important things for me to consider is the ability to run HIGH resolutions 2560x1600+ on a Retina/4k/5k monitor. (You know, the ability to do 300+ PPI)

I simply can't have a computer that doesn't have retina display and high screen area resolutions.

So, all I need to know is what motherboards have integrated graphics that will do this, and which port do I need to look for? HDMI, Display port, Thunderbolt, whatever...I don't know what I should get for a high end 'retina' display.

OR, will I need to buy a graphics card?

My desired build is a QUIET micro-ATX
CPU:Intel Core i5-8600K unlocked LGA 1151 300 Series 95W
RAM: 32gb DDR4
CASE/POWER: I'm looking at a FC9 Alpha Fanless Chassis and ZF240 Fanless 240W ZeroFlex PSU.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Adam
Hello Adam
You should look at Display Port to achive 4096x2304@60Hz. This MB should be enough:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

Obviosly a supported Mid to High range GPU would be better, with that processor and that case you are planning an high end build...

Best regards
Claudio

Hello Adam
You should look at Display Port to achive 4096x2304@60Hz. This MB should be enough:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-DS3H-rev-10#kf

Obviosly a supported Mid to High range GPU would be better, with that processor and that case you are planning an high end build...

Best regards
Claudio
Claros,
Much appreciated, my friend! I will buy that board then. When you say that a GPU would be "better," I'm sure you're not saying that I will need one to get high screen area resolutions since you said that this motherboard should be able to do 4096x2304.

I didn't realize this build would be considered high-end. Primarily I just want something I can edit audio (which is easy) with, and will remain quiet. I'm a voice actor and a quite pc (no fans) is what I really want for use in my audio booth.

Thanks again.