Contribute
Register

Replace a MacPro1,1 with a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the original X1900 that shipped with my MacPro1,1 was ridiculously hot and died an early death.

I chose Skylake based on the high level of compatibility that I'd read about and its ability to support 64GB RAM.

Yes, the original X1900 that shipped with my MacPro1,1 was ridiculously hot and died an early death.

Hah my X1900 died too - man that thing was noisy.

Lol. Yes. That X1900 was noisy as heck. Thank goodness both Nvidia and AMD seem to be moving towards efficiency rather than just increasing heat and power requirements with each passing year in attempts to try and one upping each other.

My desire for efficiency is also one of the reasons why I stuck with a GTX 980 rather than a GTX 980 Ti.

My desire for efficiency is also one of the reasons why I stuck with a GTX 980 rather than a GTX 980 Ti.

Well your damn efficiency argument has tipped me over the edge - ordered meself an EVGA platinum 850 PSU - no turning back now - gonna build me a Hackintosh!

In the end, I decided to just purchase a used MacPro 5,1.
The decision was based partly on my up-time requirements and my unwillingness to deal with compatibility issues when OS X is upgraded, and partly on finding a used MacPro at a good price.

Many thanks to all who provided me with information and advice. I really appreciate all the input.

Congrats. Will you be upgrading the RAM and the video card?

It has 64GB of RAM.
The video "card" is an NVIDIA 760 with 4GB which should handle my three monitors easily.
It has a 1TB system disk and I have three 4TB disks on order.

And yes. It will obviously consume more power than a new Hackintosh would but I'm willing to deal with that for the stability.

Wow. 64GB? Man, you must have paid a pretty penny for that machine.

Here are the full specs:
  • 2010 3.46GHz 12-core “Westmere” - MC561LL/A-CTO 5,1 1 $1725 $1725
  • 64GB 1333MHz ECC Memory (8x8GB)
  • 1TB 7200 RPM 3Gb/s SATA HDD (OS X 10.11 El Capitan)
  • NVIDIA 760 2GB
  • Wifi, Bluetooth, SuperDrive Included
  • No Keyboard or Mouse
  • 1 Year Limited Warranty
How does less than $2k sound? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back