Contribute
Register

Recording Studio Rig: i7-2700K | GA-Z68X-UD7 | Radeon HD6870

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using PCIe Firewire card with TI chipset, and a MOTU 828mk2. You GOTTA use the PCIe firewire card. The GA onboard FW goes dead after sleep and doesn't wake up (plus it has other problems/errors if you view the console log.)

studio like Dream Dream Dream Drea Dre Dr D DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Hi there,

I'm admiring your work both on the computer and in the studio space.

I'm thinking about using your build as a main guide for mine, mainly because you report full compatibility with Pro Tools, which is my main software.

Just a couple of questions for now..

Why did you choose exactly the UD7 motherboard model? I am having trouble finding the right model for me

http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/i ... odels.html

Can you tell if the system would work with Snow Leopard and Pro Tools 9 too? I don't want to upgrade to Lion and PT X for now.

Many thanks in advance!

Giacomo

i've literally just posted a big post about wether i should do this, and this makes me feel a little better. Very professional! I currently have a G5 and im looking at doing this custom build.

How stable is this machine mate?

I used the ZA-Z68X-UD7 board at the recommendation of another user in his post/thread on a ProTools rig. A buddy of mine wants me to help him with a similar build, but I can't find the board anywhere either. The closest thing I can find is the GA-Z68X-UD5, and even at that, it's a little sketchy.

To me, the benefit of this board was that the on-board Firewire uses the TI (Texas Instruments) FW chipset. That is **THEEEE** gold standard for Apple - especially if you are going to be doing pro audio work with PT, Logic, DP, etc. Any other chipset is dicey at best (including choppy audio, + problems with it not working if you ever wake from sleep). The ...-UD5 board also uses the TI chipset.

As for Snow Leopard & PT 9, I can't really speak to that because I used UniBeast/Lion. But I did run PT9 for a short while before upgrading to 10, and didn't encounter any issues. I've never had any lockups or crashes with this rig. Knock on wood! :)

im in the UK and SCAN which im thinking of buying my build from have that mobo GA-Z68X-UD5, if that firewire port is good to go for my original fw400 motu 828mk2 and everything else works then its on my list!

thanks dude!

ChrisPowerMac said:
im in the UK and SCAN which im thinking of buying my build from have that mobo GA-Z68X-UD5, if that firewire port is good to go for my original fw400 motu 828mk2 and everything else works then its on my list!

thanks dude!

Was just double-checking specs on Gigabyte US Web site. Mobo is actually GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 model. Here's a link to the specs page for US site:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3848#sp

T.I. TSB43AB23 chip:
Up to 3 IEEE 1394a ports (2 on the back panel, 1 via the IEEE 1394a bracket connected to the internal IEEE 1394a header)

It's just like what's on my mobo - one normal 6-pin FW port and one mini-4 pin FW port on the backplane; then an additional header on the mobo for you to add an additional connection to say, a FW port built-in to your case :)

Personally, you can't go wrong with that one! I'm uber-bummed that all the new Z77 mobos are using Via chipset for FW. That's a no-go for pro-audio work (and Apple in general).

Best wishes on a successful build, mister! :headbang:

thanks friend! mucho appreciated :) with people like you on here helping im sure it'll be a great build

getting one heck of a list of parts together!

Thanks again buddy!!!

Hey Chris

I am in the UK and i am soon to be doing a build...

BoomR directed me to read this thread right to the end to see your comments... I would be very interested to see how your build goes...

After reading your comments i've looked at the motherboard that you were discussing... Just to clarify i have got it correct, it is this one yeah?

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte ... ie-20-(x16)-atx

And am i right in thinking that this has firewire built in?

As well as using A focusrite sapphire audio interface i also have a focusrite Liquid Mix 16. Do you think this will also work ok?

Thanks for your help guys... Look forward to hearing from you soon :)

John

vinyljunkie said:
And am i right in thinking that this has firewire built in?

As well as using A focusrite sapphire audio interface i also have a focusrite Liquid Mix 16. Do you think this will also work ok?

Thanks for your help guys... Look forward to hearing from you soon :)

John

The link you posted didn't work for me - try this one:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...r3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-atx

Here's a link to that mobo from the Gigabyte UK Web site:
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3848#ov

Firewire = IEEE 1394 - so yes, it has Firewire :) If you get an ATX case/chassis with a FW port built-in, then you can connect that port to the header on the motherboard. That would give you 1 regular 6-pin FW port on the backplane, plus 1 6-pin FW port on your case. You would have to do some research on the other FW port on the backplane. I'm not sure if it's 6-pin or 4-pin, but I know it's a "mini" FW connection. Either way, you've got enough options for FW ports with that board :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back