Contribute
Register

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you would post this in the Forums > Post Installation > Audio, I'm sure you'll have better luck in folks in-the-know seeing this & helping you. No offense, but this is sort of OT for this thread (despite the fact that your system in question is apparently same/similar to my build). Good luck & hope you get it resolved!

I just got a Yamaha RX-V475 and have my optical cable (Digital Out) connected to the receiver. Is there a way I can send 5.1 from my digital out to my receiver?

I think the only way to get 5.1 sound out is to use XBMC-Mediacenter program.
Select Optical out and enable passthrough option in XBMC settings.
I have Yamaha DSP-AX620 and 5.1 works.

Now that we're a couple dot releases into Mavericks (and all of my go-to apps & plugs are now certified for Mavericks), it was time to take the plunge - err.. ride the Mavericks Wave!! Rather than trying to update to Mavs over my existing Mountain Lion, I got a nice deal on the new Samsung 840 EVO SSD, so swapped that out for my old SanDisk Extreme.

Did a clean install using the 10.9.2 installer from the App store. Went without a hitch - REALLY digging the new MultiBeast where you can save your configurations for recall later! Thanks Tonymacx86 dev team!! As soon as I get home, I'll upload the MB config file that's working for me. I've also updated my post with the new parts & software, plus added a new screen grab of my latest GeekBench scores. I think the combination of Mavs and the new SSD (but probably mostly Mavs) gets me about another 1,000+ points faster machine!!

Which version and what options for MB did you use?

Hello BoomR. Looks like you have a very nice ProTools system going there. I have built a few of these machines now and currently have ProTools 9 with a Fireface and I am now looking at building a system with a ProTools HD-Native card as well. It looks as if the Motherboard you originally used has been discontinued and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what would be a suitable replacement for a new build. I am going to stick with Mountain Lion for now due to some of the reports I have heard about Maverick. My ability level is fairly good but I only do this about every year or two and there is always such a learning curve with the continual advancement of technology. I usually try and stick with the Golden Builds and try not to get to fancy. I just want a solid fast machine. Thanks for any tips you might be able to offer.

Hello BoomR. Looks like you have a very nice ProTools system going there. I have built a few of these machines now and currently have ProTools 9 with a Fireface and I am now looking at building a system with a ProTools HD-Native card as well. It looks as if the Motherboard you originally used has been discontinued and I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what would be a suitable replacement for a new build. I am going to stick with Mountain Lion for now due to some of the reports I have heard about Maverick. My ability level is fairly good but I only do this about every year or two and there is always such a learning curve with the continual advancement of technology. I usually try and stick with the Golden Builds and try not to get to fancy. I just want a solid fast machine. Thanks for any tips you might be able to offer.

You're right - my build is pre-Haswell, so you'll be hard-pressed to find it somewhere. To be honest, my best recommendation would be whatever is on the Buyer's Guide for the current generation of components.

What kinds of problems are you seeing/hearing with Mavericks? That's what I'm running on my system, and have had pretty much zero problems with it. I'm pretty confident that PT10/PT11 HD (HD\Native) are all certified as supported in Mavericks. That's the most important thing...as long as your apps, VSTs, and other plug-ins all are certified to run on Mavericks, then there's no reason not to go that way. My $0.02 cents worth... :)

You're right - my build is pre-Haswell, so you'll be hard-pressed to find it somewhere. To be honest, my best recommendation would be whatever is on the Buyer's Guide for the current generation of components.

What kinds of problems are you seeing/hearing with Mavericks? That's what I'm running on my system, and have had pretty much zero problems with it. I'm pretty confident that PT10/PT11 HD (HD\Native) are all certified as supported in Mavericks. That's the most important thing...as long as your apps, VSTs, and other plug-ins all are certified to run on Mavericks, then there's no reason not to go that way. My $0.02 cents worth... :)

Well I have heard of a number of problems with Quicktime and Core Audio. Also scrolling issues and issues with Mail. Basically for me, Mountain Lion has been pretty solid. When I went to Lion on my MBP I had a number of issues and went back to Snow Leopard so I have maintained a policy of not really going for the new after that. I guess it's one thing if it is a machine dedicated to one task but I use all of my machines to do everything and just don't need the re-installing headaches. Glad to hear yours is working good. Maybe I'll think about it a little more. I would like to go with the Intel 4770 if that is possible. Thanks.

Hello BoomR!

Man, I want to thank you and ask: Is there anything to be installed on Windows before using the Apollo Twin? I have the bios F11 Z77X UP5 TH, Xeon E1240v2 and GTX 760. Everything installed like a charm, with no problems, but still afraid to spend U$700.00+ on a Apollo Twin and get frustrated ...o_O
In most, everything is working perfectly. Just do not know about the TB ports, because I have nothing right now to test TB ports...

BTW Your studio rig is freakin awesome!!

Cheers from Brazil, :headbang::D:):thumbup:

Calil Souza

Hello BoomR!

Man, I want to thank you and ask: Is there anything to be installed on Windows before using the Apollo Twin? I have the bios F11 Z77X UP5 TH, Xeon E1240v2 and GTX 760. Everything installed like a charm, with no problems, but still afraid to spend U$700.00+ on a Apollo Twin and get frustrated ...o_O
In most, everything is working perfectly. Just do not know about the TB ports, because I have nothing right now to test TB ports...

BTW Your studio rig is freakin awesome!!

Cheers from Brazil, :headbang::D:):thumbup:

Calil Souza

Muito obrigado, Calil :headbang:

Apologies for the delay - I've been rather absent from the forums the past few months. New job that is kicking my a$$, plus lots of business travel now, plus honeymoon :)

At any rate, to answer your question: I **think** the whole Windows-based solution is for Thunderbolt 2.0 boards. Since GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is TB 1.0, I never had to do any of that. I'm pretty sure that there are a couple others on the forums who have the Apollo Twin working on this same board that we are both using. Did you check out the Audio Interfaces thread in the Audio forum? That would be a good place to start - I seem to recall 1 or 2 people posting good success with the Apollo there.

Best wishes!
--BoomR

... plus honeymoon :)
WOOT! Congratulations, BoomR! :clap: :clap:

At any rate, to answer your question: I **think** the whole Windows-based solution is for Thunderbolt 2.0 boards. Since GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is TB 1.0, I never had to do any of that...
Correct. The Z77X-UP5 TH Thunderbolt works with Apple's OS X w/o having to use Windoze to install firmware. :thumbup:

I can confirm the Apollo Twin working with the z77x-UP5-TH. I bought one and have it connected to my main rig. Works great with Logic Pro X.

I think they have some Windows Beta drivers in the works but aren't available yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back