3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
BoomR's Recording Studio Rig v2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000 + G5 Case Mod
This new build replaces my original Golden Build as the hub of my home/project recording studio

DSC00002.jpg

Preface:
The focus of this post is the actual build (components used, UEFI/BIOS settings, MultiBeast settings, installation process, optimization, etc.). There is a companion post here that details the G5 case mod project with plenty of pictures. Make sure to check out that thread as well, but please post your question or comments that relate to the G5 case/case mod over there. THANKS! Now...on with the show & away we go!

Components

Mac OSX Mountain Lion Mavericks Retail (downloaded from App Store)

[url]https://macappsto.re/us/3M3pO.m[/URL]

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128559

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
http://microcenter.com/product/388575/Core_i7_3770K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua 6 Heatpipe 140mm SSO Bearing Quiet CPU Cooler NH-C12P SE14 UPDATED
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JME1CO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (CL9) x 2 4 (16GB 32GB) UPDATED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233298&Tpk=N82E16820233298

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB UPDATED
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067

Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 650w Modular Enthusiast Series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031

Case fans/cooling
CoolerMaster 120mm Blue LED (2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060
SilenX 80mm (2)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226001

USB/FireWire
StarTech 2 Outlet USB2.0 Bridge Cable
http://microcenter.com/product/222948/2_Outlet_USB_Plate_Motherboard_Bridge_Cable

Cables To Go 13413 FireWire Cable Adapter with Panel Bracket
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812791185

IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 USB
http://microcenter.com/product/387794/Bluetooth_40_USB_Micro_Adapter

Already Owned

Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S53IG8/

BELKIN FireWire 3-Port PCI Express Card Model F5U504 - Newly Added
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815108009

Apple Wireless Keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DLDO4U

Apple Trackpad
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XIJ3MW/

Apple 27" Cinema Display (mini-DP version)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC007LL/A/apple-led-cinema-display-(27"-flat-panel)?fnode=53

Storage (pulled from Golden Build)Western Digital 500GB RAID-class SATA drive (for project files/working drive)
Samsung 1TB RAID-class SATA drive (for sample/VST libraries)
Seagate 1.5TB Barracuda (for TimeMachine/file backup)

Comments
Process Overview
This is my 5th CustoMac build and probably was the smoothest, most trouble-free build I've done (with two small exceptions, one of which was a known/common issue & was quickly/easily resolved).

I actually did most of the assembly, loading of the OS, MultiBeast, etc. prior to the case mod project being done. This was your typical process for any CustoMac (Mountain Lion + UEFI board) build project:
  • Assembling all the components in the case, making necessary connections, etc. Note in my components list I have listed both a USB2 and FW400 rear panel so I can take advantage of the extra USB2 motherboard headers, as well as the onboard FW400. UPDATE: The new configuration includes adding the Belkin FW400 card in addition to the existing Syba FW800 card. Also, now I'm connecting the front panel FW400 to the mobo 1394 header. I've also since removed the FW400 backplane since adding in the Belkin card. Here's an illustrated image of the insides, including all the configuration changes, plus the additional RAM and Noctua CPU cooler:
G5%25202.1%2520annotated.png

UEFI/BIOS Settings
Thelostswede has a great quick guide for Gigabyte 7-series motherboards with UEFI bios - see link in #3 above. Stork also had a few notes on UEFI/BIOS settings in his golden build instructions as well (see link in #4 above). The following are some screen shots of my UEFI/BIOS settings (vanilla build - no overclocking):

Here's the M.I.T. overview when you first enter UEFI and are past the 3-D BIOS screen (press F1 to exit 3-D). I think it's cool as heck that you can press F12 to do screen grabs of the UEFI (just make sure to have a FAT32 USB stick connected - that's where screen grabs are stored):
1_MIT%2520Root.png
.​

First place you need to make a change is in M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings. Make sure to set X.M.P. to Profile1:
2_MIT_Advanced%2520Frequency.png

Next, I went into M.I.T. > Advanced Memory Settings and set Performance Enhance to Normal. By default, my board (F11 BIOS) was set to Turbo, but I noticed my GeekBench scores were 1,000-2,000 points lower when I was using Turbo mode. Go figure:
3_MIT_Advanced%2520Memory.png
No other changes were required under the M.I.T. settings category.

So now, on to BIOS Features. Here I did 3 things:
  1. Chose the "Legacy" ("P0") version of my SSD drive as the first boot drive. Mac/OSX doesn't much like the UEFI instance of the same device, so make sure your Boot Option #1 is not the UEFI instance.
  2. Disable all remaining drives. My build has 3 additional SATA HDs, as well as the optical drive. In past builds & tutorials, disabling any additional drives really improves boot time, so I've just made this a best practice.
  3. I also chose to enable Intel Virtualization Technology - I think this option was in a couple other people's build instructions. I may be installing VMWare Fusion on this machine, and by the description of this setting - it made sense to activate. Here are my settings for BIOS Features:
5_Bios%2520Features_Boot.png

In Peripherals (the upper portion of this page), note the settings shown below (these were the page defaults as I recall):
7_Peripherals1_Root.png
I have a 27" Cinema Display (mini-DP version), and am using onboard HD4000 graphics - connected to MD1 (Thunderbolt #1 connection). Only settings change here that seemed to be recommended (and is working fine for me) is to set Init Display First to IGFX (internal graphics):
6_Peripherals1_InitDisplay.png
Since OSX takes over and allocates max GPU memory, leaving the default setting of 64M to Internal Graphics Memory Size seems to be the thing to do. No other changes were required to the remaining graphics settings options.

My only real hiccup initially was not paying close attention to the Intel(R) Thunderbolt setting option at the bottom of the Peripherals page:
8_Peripherals2_TB1.png
This new menu option seems to have appeared starting in F10 or for sure F11 version of the UEFI/BIOS. By default, Wake From Thunderbolt Devices = Enabled. I know we don't have hot-swap abilities yet for Thunderbolt, so when I first got my build up & running, I knew to make sure my TB devices were connected before I powered the machine on. But for me, it didn't matter which TB device I tried to connect (Apple TB > Ethernet Adapter, Apple TB > FW800 Adapter, or my Seagate GoFlex drive with Thunderbolt Adapter), within 3-4 seconds of the desktop rendering, my entire system would lock up.

What seemed to be happening was that upon initial system power-up, the TB devices would receive power, but then go to sleep during boot. Once the desktop would render, the TB devices would then power back up again...and BAMM-O: my system would lock up. When poking around the UEFI and finally taking a moment to ponder this Thunderbolt setting, I got to thinking: People report their systems locking up when trying to hot-swap their TB devices. Maybe my TB devices were "off" during boot, then powering back on (in essence, a "hot swap connection") once bootup was complete. Long story short: with my build, setting Wake From Thunderbolt Devices = Disabled fixed this issue! Now all my TB devices work just fine:
9_Peripherals2_TB2.png
Note that the only apparent "down side" to activating this option is that any TB devices remain powered up after performing an OS X shut-down (ex. my FW800 drive and my Seagate GoFlex still had power, even though the system was technically shut down. I suspect this is similar to the feature that allows people to charge USB devices while their computer is off). Just FYI...

Last but not least, Power Management settings: Make sure to disable Wake from LAN to avoid the dreaded shut down > reboot loop. Now save & exit, and you're ready to install OSX!!

Unibeast & MultiBeast
Since I already had my UniBeast flash drive connected when I set my BIOS, I'm now ready to reboot the system & begin the OSX Install. Again I followed the UniBeast instructions for OSX Mountain Lion install to a T. For me, I needed no extra boot flags or anything - it was actually smooth sailing! I had success using both the DVI and HDMI video connections on the motherboard.

Once the initial OSX install was done, my system rebooted. Per instructions, don't forget to press F12 at the POST screen to select your UniBeast key as your boot drive one last time, then at the Chimera screen, select your fresh install of Mountain Lion to complete the setup wizard.

I must say there was a lot of trial & error for me trying to find the right combinations of settings that gave me both the features I wanted on this build + the best possible GeekBench scores. This board doesn't require a DSDT, and honestly, you can get this system up & running with just 2 MultiBeast settings: Audio & Network (see Stork's guide). Fortunately for me, I have an extra 60GB SSD and a 2.5" eSATA drive that I use during my build process. That SSD is partitioned into 2 sections: a "boot" partition with a "vanilla" & basic OSX install, and a partition where I keep Carbon Copy Cloner images of things so I can play around with settings but re-image if I muck up the works.

Once I got a "clean" OSX load, I made a CCC image of that so I could start playing & experimenting, but then "shake the Etch-a-Sketch" and start over quickly if needed.

My current MultiBeast settings for fresh install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2:
MB1n.png

MB2.png

MultiBeast & misc. notes:
  • The very first time I rebooted the system after installing MB, I got the dreaded "scrambled video" problem. Had I used the Tonymacx86.com search feature in the troubleshooting forum, I would have discovered I was not the only one to have this problem. :banghead: I made a posting about this (as well as my Thunderbolt issue) and thanks to Tonymacx86, I have not had the issue since. I now use the 1080p Display boot option in MultiBeast.
  • I chose the iMac 12,2 definition. Again, for whatever reason, the GeekBench scores using this definition (vs. MacPro3,1 which is assigned by default if you don't choose a definition) were considerably faster (14,600+ for iMac12,2 vs. ~13,400 for MacPro3,1). The only "down side" that I find using the iMac 12,2 definition is that I have the dreaded "audio 'pop' noise" either during boot up, or the first time audio plays. You don't get this anomaly with the MacPro3,1 definition. This is not a show-stopper for me by any means, as I am not using the on-board audio for daily work with this machine. So non-issue for me.
  • I have not done anything about trying to get HDMI audio working with this build. Again, I use my mini-DP Cinema Display, as well as pro audio interfaces for my audio on this one, so not a priority to fix HDMI audio. (BTW, Cinema Display USB audio works!)
  • I **used to** have the dreaded iMessage issue. But with latest Chimera, I no longer have this issue. iMessage etc. works fine.

UPDATED: My GeekBench Score (as of 06Mar2014):
GB New.png

That's it! Hope this is helpful for many of you! Again, happy to answer any questions about build components, install/config, MultiBeast, etc. here in this post. But please make any questions about the G5 case mod over on my other thread. Thanks, gang!:headbang:

The END!

DSC00007.jpg

UPDATE 1/26/2013: Shortly after the first inquiry as to why I selected both "3rd party SATA" and "3rd party eSATA," I ended up doing a quick reload from my "clean" CCC image, then re-running MB. This time only selecting 3rd party SATA. Initially it was just my stupidity and/or lack of understanding of the function of these kexts that led me to select both options intially. The MB screens above reflect the current (and working) MB settings.

In addition, for those curious about Thunderbolt working for me, please see the link in the first bullet of the MultiBeast & misc. notes section above. That post provides the original details on my challenges getting TB working. As originally noted above in the TB UEFI settings section, YES - all my TB devices are working fine (driving my 27" mini-DP Cinema Display + all TB devices I listed above in my original post). Here's a shot of my Seagate GoFlex drive with TB adapter and my OWC FW800 drive via Apple TB > FW800 adapter both running on this build:
TB%2520drives.jpg

UPDATE 17Feb2013: I was trying to use the onboard VIA chipset FW for one of my Mackie Onyx FW audio interfaces, but would periodically experience some audio drop-outs during simple playback tasks like listening to iTunes. After this happening a few times, I decided to disable the onboard VIA FW chipset, and remove the 1394a backplate that was connected to the onboard header. As I headed to my local MicroCenter who had one of the Syba FW cards in stock, I remembered that I already had a Belkin PCIe card (it was at one time in my PowerMac G5 ages ago) sitting in a box of random unused computer parts. Long story short, I plugged in the card & rebooted. Worked out of the box (as I had expected), and both of my Mackie FW audio interfaces now work like a champ during initial play testing. If you're having better luck with onboard VIA FW chipset than I am, then good on ya! But I prefer to use something that I know has a proven track record already. BTW, Belkin card uses TI FW chipset. From the Belkin card's UG:
Features
• Complies with one-lane 2.5Gbps PCI Express specifications and PCI Express 1.0 specifications
• Offers 1394a data-transfer rates of up to 400Mbps
Specifications
• Interface: PCI Express
• Mode: 1394a PCI Express
• Controller: Texas Instruments XIO2200
• Channels: 2 external 1394a ports and 1 internal port

UPDATE 20June2013: Had a request from our fearless leader beelzebozo to post a few more pics & show how my CustoMac is connected to the rest of my studio, as well as some additional information on gear. His inquiry in particular was my ProTools HD|Native setup. Initially, I only ran regular ProTools 10 using the CoreAudio drivers. My audio interface is the Apogee Symphony I/O with the Analog 8in/8out + optical in/out options. For lowest latency & best performance, I **used** to have the companion Apogee Symphony 64 PCIe card driving the I/O. But I was having some random problems with rebooting/power-cycling that were not related to the normal Gigabyte issues that drive this behavior. Problems would cease when the Symph64 card was removed; put it back in, and they would begin appearing randomly. I finally attributed this to the fact that Symphony 64 card is a Mac-only solution, and I surmised that there were some unique incompatibilities with this card & non-Apple hardware. SO...

I got on eBay and found an AVID HD|Native card (with accompanying software license for PT HD 9/10) that was a "demo" with full warranty. Since the HD|Native card is a cross-platform solution (ProTools runs on both Mac & Win), I figured I would not have the same problems with this card. Plus, since the Symphony I/O is designed to work & integrate tightly into AVID systems, I was still getting the great A/D & D/A converters. So long story short: I run PT 10 on an HD|Native card driving the Apogee Symphony I/O - which has a "ProTools HD" mode and connects directly to the AVID HD|Native card using the same cable as I used with the Symphony 64 card.

My studio is actually in a "bonus room" that was built above the 3-car garage. The room below my studio is a combination of 2nd home studio for my partner (who is a musician/guitarist/singer/composer and a Berkeley College of Music grad), plus equipment storage (sound system, cases, old LPs), and most importantly: the "party fridge" with all the beer & sodas LOL!! My CustoMac sits atop the party fridge in the downstairs studio, and all of the cabling (USB, FW, mini-DP for video, and DigiLink cable from the PCIe card to the audio interface) run up through the floor into my studio:
CustoMac%2520Connections2.jpg

CustoMac%2520Connections1.jpg

CustoMac%2520Connections0.jpg

Here's a couple shots of my gear that's in the studio desk I built, starting with the rack on the left:
DBP%2520Studio%2520rack1.jpg
(note: I no longer have the Apogee Big Ben Word Clock, as the Symphony I/O has an updated version of the same clock chip as the BB). And my summing mixer in the right rack:
DBP%2520Studio%2520rack2.jpg
It's a Mackie Onyx 1220-i which is both a mixer and a firewire audio interface.

There you have it! Hope this gives some additional insight into using a CustoMac with ProTools HD|Native (and I'm sure equally as well with the new HDX systems). Plus I also run Logic Studio and have been a LONG-time user of Digital Performer (recently updated to DP8, but have yet to get back to work in it).
:headbang:

UPDATE 06March2014: Now that we're a couple dot releases into Mavericks (and all of my go-to apps & plugs are now certified for Mavericks), it was time to take the plunge - err.. ride the Mavericks Wave!! Rather than trying to update to Mavs over my existing Mountain Lion, I got a nice deal on the new Samsung 840 EVO SSD, so swapped that out for my old SanDisk Extreme. Did a clean install using the 10.9.2 installer from the App store. Went without a hitch - REALLY digging the new MultiBeast where you can save your configurations for recall later! Thanks Tonymacx86 dev team!! As soon as I get home, I'll upload the MB config file that's working for me. I've also updated my post with the new parts & software, plus added a new screen grab of my latest GeekBench scores. I think the combination of Mavs and the new SSD (but probably mostly Mavs) gets me about another 1,000+ points faster machine!!

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 16GB | HD4000

Nice clean job!

However I'm curious about your selection of BOTH the 3rd Party SATA and eSATA kexts. How does that work? Mind you, you haven't mentioned connecting anything to the eSATA or "GSATA" Marvell ports, so you might not know.

What's that other PCIe card in your case? The one immediately below the Firewire card?

Build my UniBeast install key on my MBP using the latest Mountain Lion version of UniBeast. Tip: I partitioned my SanDisk 8GB USB flash drive used for my UniBeast install key as follows: 7GB = UniBeast install key; 1GB = MultiBeast Lion 5.2.1
I always just copy the MultiBeast folder onto the top level of the UniBeast filesystem (along with any other tools I might need). They don't conflict with any other files on that drive, so it doesn't need a filesystem for itself.

Nice clean job!

However I'm curious about your selection of BOTH the 3rd Party SATA and eSATA kexts. How does that work? Mind you, you haven't mentioned connecting anything to the eSATA or "GSATA" Marvell ports, so you might not know.

What's that other PCIe card in your case? The one immediately below the Firewire card?

I always just copy the MultiBeast folder onto the top level of the UniBeast filesystem (along with any other tools I might need). They don't conflict with any other files on that drive, so it doesn't need a filesystem for itself.

Didn't think MB needed it's own file system - but I also wasn't aware that putting the MB folder at the root level of the UniBeast key won't have an ill-effect. :thumbup:

I do have an eSATA drive that I use to offload/archive files. Also, a couple of my sample libraries come on their own USB external HD. If I ever need to modify the install or re-install, I always remove the SATA drive from the manufacturer's USB enclosure & put it in my eSATA enclosure. Really speeds the install process and I don't get the goofy orange drive icons. By installing both of those kexts, am I adding undue overhead to my system? Would it run faster/more efficiently without them?

BTW, the other PCIe card is an AVID Pro Tools|HD Native card that connects to my audio interface (Apogee Symphony I/O). :headbang:

Those 3rd-party kexts: both support the Marvell controller, but one marks the devices as "internal" (they get treated as local by Time Machine, and don't get Eject buttons in the Finder sidebar), and the other marks them as "external" (ejectable, warm-swappable). They would seem to conflict with each other, and for eSATA you need the "3rd Party eSATA" kext. If you use the other one you would probably have trouble when re-connecting the drive without rebooting. This is what I use on my build which has lots of eSATA devices (8 ports).

Mind you, I'm not aware of a way to have a mixture of "internal" and "external" drives on the Marvell and ASM controllers. I have my Z77 ports populated with internals, and everything else as externals. The BIOS does give you the option to mark various Z77 ports as externals though.

As an aside re putting UniBeast and MultiBeast on the same volume, back in the days of Leopard and Snow Leopard (before the Recovery partitions) with our MacBooks we had a standard practice of copying the installation DVD onto the Time Machine volume (so the installation code sat beside the Time Machine backups in the same volume) so that in the event of a disaster we could boot off the Time Machine disk and restore directly from it without needing to rummage around for the DVD (or a USB-stick copy of it: one more thing to lose). I used this successfully while far away from the Internet (on a ship travelling along the Antarctic coast in fact) and it was a life-saver.

Congratulations, BoomR! Another great build description. :clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations, BoomR! Another great build description. :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you very much, sir Stork! Greatly appreciated!!!:thumbup: :wave: This post was a lot of fun to pull together as well! :headbang:

@BoomR Congrats on a great (golden) build!

How is the noise from this machine? In general, do you think the mac g5 cases handle noise well or ?

I remember from your previous build that you had at least two items on your front panel, do you miss that on the mac g5 and where you considering altering the front?

I also remember, I think, that you were intending to use a graphics card with this build--what happened?

Well, Intel's HD4000 works very well for me driving a single 1920x1200 24" monitor (although I later added the GTX 650 Ti for tonymacx86 testing). My Zorro build uses HD3000 only, driving two monitors, and running GarageBand, meeting my expectations. So, I wouldn't be surprised that HD4000 can easily drive two monitors at 1920x1200. HD4000 can also drive a 2550x1440 resolution single monitor, too.

BTW, if you want a quite case, the Fractal Design Define R3 (older model) or R4 (current model) is the way to go.
Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HD3CTI/

Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Titanium grey (FD-CA-DEF-R4-TI)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HD3EAA/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352022

Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Silent ATX Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352024

@BoomR Congrats on a great (golden) build!

How is the noise from this machine? In general, do you think the mac g5 cases handle noise well or ?

I remember from your previous build that you had at least two items on your front panel, do you miss that on the mac g5 and where you considering altering the front?

I also remember, I think, that you were intending to use a graphics card with this build--what happened?

The noise from this new Beast is actually as low (if not maybe a bit more quiet) than my studio rig 1.0 build with the Cooler Master case. On the front panel of the 1.0 build, I had a multi-card reader + USB + FW400 ports. Really never used them (mostly because they were not easily accessible because the machine is in a different room than the studio/control room). So no big loss there.

As as far as a dedicated GPU on this build, there was never any plan to do so. I had a GPU on the 1.0 build only. One of the drivers for this build was using the Thunderbolt board + HD4000 graphics with my Cinema Display. I think not having the dedicated GPU like I had on the 1.0 build (and the 3 fans on that card) is one of the main things that makes the noise level of the studio 2.0 build lower than it's predecessor. :headbang:

I wish to make people aware of this firewire controller card!

That card got burnt and burned my sound card whilst doing so!
Now I have no sound card and no sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back