Contribute
Register

Recording Studio 2.0: Core i7 3770K | GA-Z77X-UP5 TH | 32GB | HD4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build. How often does it crash?

And related to this last question, but a bit off-topic: did you ever consider moving it off the fridge? You could build a stand for it.
The fridge most likely give off serious RFI interference which could actually raise your noise floor seriously, not to mention causing possible crashes. Actually the workstation and the fridge shouldn't even be in the same room, let alone in the same power outlet.

Nice build. How often does it crash?

And related to this last question, but a bit off-topic: did you ever consider moving it off the fridge? You could build a stand for it.
The fridge most likely give off serious RFI interference which could actually raise your noise floor seriously, not to mention causing possible crashes. Actually the workstation and the fridge shouldn't even be in the same room, let alone in the same power outlet.

I can't remember the last time it crashed... Now having said that, I've not done a very demanding session in my studio for about 4 months (due to "day job" constraints). But prior to that, as I said, I can't remember the last time it crashed/locked up. I'm about to start a new project this weekend, though, so will get a chance to put it back through its paces again.

The CPU is actually connected to a high-end UPS, so that appears to really help isolate it from any potential power-related issues. Having said that, the devices that really would be affected by any RFI from the fridge are no where near where the CPU sits - they are all upstairs. Again, each rack of gear is protected by it's own UPS as a first line of defense, followed by a high-grade rack-mounted power conditioner. The only EMI/RFI that I seem to experience is when I track my partner's guitar - the pickups on his 40-year old Gibson ES can be a little problematic. :)

...The only EMI/RFI that I seem to experience is when I track my partner's guitar - the pickups on his 40-year old Gibson ES can be a little problematic. :)
:lol: :thumbup:

Thanks for this extensive guide. I'm just about to set up my first Hackintosh and this guide seemed like a very solid line to follow for my first build. Is that a good idea? And how up to date is this? I read further up in this thread that the motherboard has been discontinued, are there any replacements?

Thank you!

Thanks for this extensive guide. I'm just about to set up my first Hackintosh and this guide seemed like a very solid line to follow for my first build. Is that a good idea? And how up to date is this? I read further up in this thread that the motherboard has been discontinued, are there any replacements?

Thank you!

The Z77 board is a couple generations old now (but was new when I did the Golden Build). But if you basically use the comparable hardware from the Buyer's Guide, but follow this basic process, you should be just fine. Good luck with your build!!
--B

Thanks!

Could you look into my post and check it for me? I would be very very grateful since you seem to be the studio Hackintosh Guru around here.

I specifically need to know more about the FireWire card and the SSD. Is samsung really inevitable or could I also go for the Crucial MX100 256GB for example?

Thanks!

Could you look into my post and check it for me? I would be very very grateful since you seem to be the studio Hackintosh Guru around here.

I specifically need to know more about the FireWire card and the SSD. Is samsung really inevitable or could I also go for the Crucial MX100 256GB for example?

Your build looks very good to me. I think the issue with that Samsung EVO drive is related to some of the larger format drives (750GB/1TB). For SSDs, the "sweet spot" for value/performance is still around the 250GB size. I have one in my machine, and I find no performance issues. In my new build, I've put in the new 850 Pro and it is WICKED fast! (not that the 840 EVO was like a snail or turtle, mind you)
:thumbup:

Good luck!

Have you upgraded to Yosemite?

Have you upgraded to Yosemite?

No, I have not. And will not probably for another 4-6 months. I've been doing the computer/music thing for a long time (since late 80's) - and one thing we learned very early: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Translation: don't be in a hurry to upgrade to the latest OS... "just because you can"... Only in the past few weeks has Pro Tools 11 (I have HD|Native system) been tested & certified. But I also have 4 AVID Artist Series control surfaces (3 Artist Mix units; 1 Artist Control). EUCON is still not supporting Yosemite.

I probably won't even consider it (or even have all my plugs & apps updated to support Yosemite) until 10.10.3 (whenever that comes out). Apple is still working out some bugs, and I'd prefer to wait until all that settles down some....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back