Contribute
Register

Recommendations for video card (+CPU?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trs96 : You, dear friend, have been a fountain of information. PM me if you're ever in Philly; I owe you a few pints.

The Yeston card is on its way back; I'll get the Sapphire PULSE RX 550 4G G5 640SP which is also on Dortania's list...

...feel free to advise me if this isn't a good choice, thankyouverymuch

I'll get the Sapphire PULSE RX 550 4G G5 640SP which is also on Dortania's list...
Just hope and pray the seller doesn't send you the 512 SP version. They usually don't think there's any difference. Maybe email them first before buying to make sure they don't send the wrong one.

Screen_Shot_4.jpg

Last edited:
This Amazon seller wants $158 and it's the 512 SP version, not a good deal at all.

Screen Shot 6.jpg

This offers the same performance, just two less GB of Vram which shouldn't matter for you.
Card is new, not used so no worries. And you are guaranteed it's not a Lexa card.

This Amazon seller wants $158 and it's the 512 SP version, not a good deal at all...

That's the one I was looking at! BTW, how did you know it's the 512 SP version? I read it through and couldn't find any info on number of stream processes...

This offers the same performance... [DELL AMD RADEON RX460 2GB GDDR5 DP 1.4 HDMI DVI-D PCI-E 3.0 X8 VIDEO CARD FJC5Y]

I just ordered that one. I hope this is the one for me...

Last edited:
how did you know it's the 512 SP version?
I looked up the RX550 model #, posted on the Amazon listing, on the Sapphire website.

Last edited:
Elementary my dear Watson…

Elementary my dear Watson…
If srk9026 would have listened to your advice from 6 days ago, none of this detective work would have been necessary. "RX 460 or 560 buys you peace of mind."

Here's a Sherlock Holmes/Watson joke for your amusement.

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets."
"Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo."
"Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three."
"Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant."
"Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow."
"What does it tell you, Holmes?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: "Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent!"

Last edited:
Hi! *waves* I just got the Dell 7060 and the Dell RX 460 video card, both recommended by @trs96 . The Dell came with WinDOS 10 installed - gonna change that soon - and the diagnostics tool HWInfo reports that the video card is indeed an AMD Radeon RX-460 "Polaris 11/Baffin Pro" so it's compatible.

I'll get to this hack-a-Mac soon enough. Once again, thanks to all of you who have advised me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back