Contribute
Register

Recommendations for video card (+CPU?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there any reason why this proposed system would not work with OS X 10.12.6 (not high) Sierra?
UHD630 isn't supported in Sierra. Not completely sure if the RX550 would be supported either. HS makes more sense. It's a year newer and you can run newer browser versions of Firefox or Chrome. I think that Safari for Sierra is long out of support and won't get any updates. You could research it. If CS4 works in Sierra, it definitely will in High Sierra too. Not that much different.

Using outdated browsers that no longer get security patches isn't a good idea. They still may function but it puts you at risk. Most of the threats online today are attacks at the browser level.

Your computer should meet the minimum system requirements before you install and use Chrome browser.

It's possible that Chrome might install on other platforms or versions not listed here. However, Google enterprise level support is limited to systems that meet the minimum requirements.

Mac​

To use Chrome browser on Mac, you'll need:
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later

Last edited:
The last supported Safari version for High Sierra is:

Safari 13.1.2​

Released July 15, 2020
Safari

So for Sierra it's an even older version ! Using a browser that far out of support is crazy imo.

UHD630 isn't supported in Sierra. Not completely sure if the RX550 would be supported either. HS makes more sense. It's a year newer and you can run newer browser versions of Firefox or Chrome. I think that Safari for Sierra is long out of support and won't get any updates. You could research it. If CS4 works in Sierra, it definitely will in High Sierra too. Not that much different.
The current version of Firefox ESR, 102.7.0, released on January 17, still supports MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. So if the objective is to run an up-to-date version of browser, you can still use Firefox ESR with MacOS Sierra at this time.

Last edited:
...I think I'm settled on what to buy: the Dell Optiplex 7060MT, and a video card - the Sapphire PULSE RX 550 4G G5 640SP because it's not a power hog (65W), it's on that GPU Buyer's Guide, not too hard to find and it's modestly priced...

I found a Yeston RX550-4G LP D5 (also on the GPU Buyer's Guide and runs at 40W). Can anyone give me a reason this is NOT a good choice for my proposed system?

With "RX 550" you never know if you're buying into a Polaris or a Lexa GPU.
RX 460 or 560 buys you peace of mind.

With "RX 550" you never know if you're buying into a Polaris or a Lexa GPU.
RX 460 or 560 buys you peace of mind.

I saw in Dortania's GPU Buyers Guide that 'Polaris' is supported and 'Lexa' isn't. The very same Yeston card I named above is in the favored list of single slot GPUs. I'm presuming that I can put faith in that list since it was recommended to me in this very thread...

I found a Yeston RX550-4G LP D5 (also on the GPU Buyer's Guide and runs at 40W). Can anyone give me a reason this is NOT a good choice for my proposed system?
Comments above are valid (life is like a box of chocolates) - in my case, I got a china sourced Yestron which took a-g-e-s to arrive by boat - and it registered as a 560 Polaris on my HP8300 SFF build (High Sierra) a few years back.
Make sure yours is returnable, which is the only way to insulate yourself.

TBH - the graphics power is not substantial on these 550's, and hardly capable of gaming, but its way better than the GT710 i had in there beforehand and did work well with basic video editing roles and graphics as opposed to hardcore game rendering. Obviously better displays too.

So that Yeston card arrived today. I put it into a PC (a HP running WinDOS 7) and got these confusing specs: please have a look at the right side of the image...

videocard.png

...which identifies the processor as an AMD Radeon RX 550 "Polaris 12/Lexa Pro" - which is a mixed message. I know that Polaris is compatible and Lexa is not.

So... what do? Send it back and aim for another card?

what do? Send it back and aim for another card?
Yes, if you want to use macOS with it. The 512 shaders gives it away that it's Lexa and not Baffin based. Polaris is just a broader category it's included in. Just to make it confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back