Dell Optiplex 7060
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX-460
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Dear friends:

I'm looking to build a replacement for a classic Mac Pro with some fairly modest requirements:

video: supports one Acer Nitro HDMI monitor at HD resolution (1920 x 1080)
disk drives: supports two SSD (2.5") drives and two HD (3.5") drives, internally - and maybe an BD/R drive

So far I've selected the following components for the proposed build:

mobo: ASUS Prime Z490-A
CPU: Intel Core i7 10º Gen
RAM: Crucial, 32GB
power supply: a Corsair, around 700W, with all of the plugs and bits I'll need
case: a 'tower' ATX case with room inside for the drives

I come to this forum to seek advice for which video card. I don't intend to do too much video-intensive stuff with this machine: watch movies, do some video encodings, do some graphics editing (Photoshop for MacOS and Autodesk Eagle (Windows version) running in a Parallels emulation environment. All of this is proposed to be running on MacOS v10.13.6 Sierra.

What I don't want to do is buy more than I'll need, since I don't do gaming or live-stream broadcasting. I ask, which video card would you recommend for my one HDMI monitor? As for particular models of power supplies and CPU coolers, I'm certainly open to recommendations. Overall, I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash on this build.

Many thanks in advance,
--
srk

Last edited:
I'm certainly open to recommendations. Overall, I'm not looking to spend a ton of cash on this build.
All of this is proposed to be running on MacOS v10.13.6 Sierra.
Why ?
There is no support in Sierra for tenth gen Intel hardware. It starts at Catalina. If you can't run at least Catalina then you'd need older hardware. 8th gen Coffee Lake by Intel would be the best fit for High Sierra 10.13.6.

Last edited:
Then it's clear, I need more advice. I am unsure that I can upgrade my software beyond 10.13.6 Sierra without some of it just not running anymore. The machine I'm running now is on 10.12.6 HIGH Sierra and I'm not sure which video cards are supported by 10.12.6.

I should then also be asking for a recommendation for a CPU as well as a video card.

Would the Intel Core i5 10600K (4.1GHz) work as a CPU?

I must confess, I'm an absolute noob and this will be my first Hackintosh.

Last edited:
I am unsure that I can upgrade my software beyond 10.13.6 Sierra
Do you mean High Sierra ? That is 10.13.6. Just Sierra 10.12.x came out a year before that.

An example of an 8th gen Intel CPU is the i7-8700. You can find these used on Ebay at reasonable prices.

It's harder to find an 8th gen motherboard in good condition. Takes some searching for that.
Look for Gigabyte or Asus Z370 or Z390 boards.

Last edited:
Okay, perhaps I need more advice. I am unsure that I can upgrade my software beyond 10.13.6 Sierra without some of it just not running anymore. I should then also be asking for a recommendation for a CPU as well as a video card.

I must confess, I'm an absolute noob and this will be my first Hackintosh.
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

The hardware specs for my current Mac - the Mini running 10.12 Sierra - is already on my profile below my avatar? I don't have any specs for a Hackintosh since I haven't even determined which CPU and video card to get.
we only care about your current hackintosh specs

I was hoping to get advice on what parts to get for a Hackintosh build. Do I need to have already build a Hackintosh in order to get advice on building one? At this point, I have nothing. I came seeking advice.

Do I need to have already build a Hackintosh in order to get advice on building one?
Not at all.

What software do you need to run that can't function on any macOS newer than High Sierra ?

I'm running a really old version of Adobe CS4 - which may survive the upgrade to 10.13 HIGH Sierra. The rest of my software is ok for High Sierra.

As per used CPUs, motherboards and such, I think I worry about buying something that is nearing its failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back