Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Randomthom's SILENT-ish GA-H87-HD3 | i3 4130T | 4600HD build

I've just put the parts on order, unable to find an identical system (or any that are using one of the new low-power Haswell cores) so this is a bit of a gamble but I'll still use it as a Windows machine if it doesn't work out...

The ultimate plan is to have a Silent (or close) dual-SSD dual-boot Windows 8 / Maverick machine for studio recording use.

I got the case, a 19" rack-mountable Lian-Li on ebay (new) for a steal at £25
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lian-LI-P...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item3a87a08ec5
It arrived yesterday, complete with the rack-mount handles and is a superb quality case, I'd recommend it to anyone!

Complete component list

Intel i3 4130T CPU
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 Motherboard
8Gb DDR3 1600MHz Crucial memory
Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120Gb
BeQuiet 400W PSU (80%+ Bronze efficiency rating)

I haven't yet bought the second SSD but will probably opt for another Samsung.

This will be my first attempt at a Hackintosh. Haven't tried before due to my main system having the ATi 6950 GPU which I know has been problematic though I might give that a go sometime too as it appears there are ways around the issue.

Did it work for you? I have nearly the same goal and same hardware (GA-H87-HD3, i5-4430, planning to use hd4600 as well). Please update!

Did it work for you? I have nearly the same goal and same hardware (GA-H87-HD3, i5-4430, planning to use hd4600 as well). Please update!

I am using a Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 & an i5-4440 with 8GB RAM without any issues. DVI-D and HDMI both work fine. Easy installation to complete. Fantastic value for money. Machine will sleep but I haven't yet tried to get deal sleep sorted out - CPU fan & PSU power right down.

Adrian B

I am using a Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3 & an i5-4440 with 8GB RAM without any issues. DVI-D and HDMI both work fine. Easy installation to complete. Fantastic value for money. Machine will sleep but I haven't yet tried to get deal sleep sorted out - CPU fan & PSU power right down.

Adrian B

Thank you! I'll try to do the build the day after tomorrow. Will post here))

Hi guys,
I am just trying to do the install of Mavericks but no success.I have same motherboard and cpu as you (HD3 & i5-4430 ).
The only difference is I put temporary One stick of 2Gb Ram, as I wait for more Ram to come.
It is just blocking on Apple logo and small rotating logo is freezed. I thought that if I buy recommended hardware that it will really be simple.
can you please tell me your bios settings so that I can compare with mine. Thanks in advance.

This is where it stucks:
image.jpg

Any idea?

ps. I dont know why it rotates my screenshot. Uploading from Ipad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 165
:headbang:

Yeah, i am writing you from my new mavericks installation.
I spent last 5-6 hours putting different flags with no success. I do not know how many posts I read...

At the end I almost called it off, bit i did then those 3 things:

- Changed the BIOS from F5 to F6 (that officially recognises Haswell CPUs) though it didn't really helped a lot.
I wondered if config with just one ram stick is making problems so I ripped two Ram sticks (2x4Gb, 1600) from my sons GamerPC (So this be my last post ;-) ) and replaced the one I had all this time (one stick of 2Gb RAM).
Another thing is more bizarre as I wanted to move my PC, somehow I touched my HDMI cable, picture went off and then come back, working this time and start loading the installation. Installation afterwards by itself was a breeze.

So, then multi beast and I did repair permissions, just in case.

Thank you all for leaving all this information for newbeeies to find they way to success.

My config:

CoolerMaster K280 black (big tower)
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
RipJaw 2x4Gb 1600 RAM
Intel I5-4430 (Quad core)
Intel HD4600 (I play just basic things so its OK.Have another beasts to play of for media)
old Samsung 250Gb Sata HD (will be replaced with next pay :) )
And that's it.

Have a good night. I am DONE:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back