Contribute
Register

Random wake-up after Mojave? Here's the fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one whose Hackintosh kept waking up all the time from sleep after they updated to Mojave? Sometimes it seemed random, others seemed triggered by waking a nearby iOS device, or even just walking into the room. This never happened before Mojave and I've been using the same hardware for years. I tried different WiFi/BT settings, different Clover options, kexts, nothing sorted it.

Eventually I hit upon the fix: once you've installed Mojave, check to see if there's a new power management option called Proximity Wake. It's not on the System Preferences menu -- you need to run the following command in Terminal to see if it's there:

pmset -g

If your results include "proximitywake 1" then your system's as sleep-deprived as mine was. You can disable this behavior and re-enable deep, unbroken sleep with this terminal command:

pmset -a proximitywake 0

I don't know if Proximity Wake is new to Mac OS but I never noticed it before Mojave. Hope this fix helps others wondering what the hell happened to sleep since 10.14.

This also happens with 10.9, but only when the computer has been inactive long enough for it to power down. You can hear it wake up as the CD/DVD drive clunks, but it is only awake for a short time. I don’t believe this has ever happened when it has been officially powered down...

For me, it were the pmset settings. standby and tcpkeepalive were both 1 and I set them to 0. Since then, no irregular wake-ups noticed any more.

I have a proximity wake issue on my High Sierra Hackintosh which is weird as High Sierra's pmset doesn't have this option so I can't disable it. Any one has any solution other than disabling the autopoweroff and sleep for good?

Edit: it seems that it wasn't the proximity per se and just normal wake by bluetooth devices, it would be nice though if I could select which device to wake the machine and which not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back