Contribute
Register

Random Restarts - in OS X even in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3
CPU
i7 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi ,

I am facing this problem on my main machine , machine just restart "out of the blue" sometimes just browsing the web , always reboot in FCP X when I add an effect to a movie .

Thought this was OSX related so I changeg from yosemite to mavericks , and the same happen , start using the PC more in Windows and time to time it also restarts, even made a clean install of windows and it restarts ..... going crazy with this .

Noticed I have the Azus GTX760 OC (over clocked version) my PSU is Corsair VS650 .

Searched the web and there are more cases of people with these random restarts ....

anybody have a clue about this ?

thanks

Last edited:
You could download and install the f10 BIOS from here if you haven't already.

If the problem is happening in several Operating Systems it's hardware.

Run a hardware monitor and check that a component isn't overheating and causing a reboot when stressed.

Check that your PSU is certified for Haswell processors.

Check that your RAM is on the compatibility list for your motherboard.

thanks for your Reply

I also agree that this is hardware related ...

I built this machine according the compatibility lists here in tonymacx86 so I believe that this PSU is right for this motherboard and CPU .

the computer is not new , it worked fine for several months since my 1st install , but now restarts and restarts ...

My system does the same thing and restarts randomly. I would love to get to the bottom if what is the problem. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

There could be many reasons for random restarts.... However I would swear that this is a PSU problem. I had the same issue some years ago and after changing everything and not being able to solve the problem, I did change the power supply. What happened? Never had restarts again, never....

Unfortunately, most people dont pay attention to this because they think that if PC starts then PSU is OK. This is not the case... Psu is the most important thing on a Pc in my opinion.

In your case, you said that restarts happen when you load a video on a software. Thats the time when your gpu needs more current from PSU and probably cant get it. A way to check this would be by changing your gpu for a while with one less power hungry...

**** of course check your temperatures first before starting changing things...

I have a brand new EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD and still get these random restarts. It is the only thing that is competing my Hackintosh experience from being awesome. I think it is a hardware problem, but very hard to diagnose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back