Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the card doesn't boot at all sometimes, gets stuck at screenlockstate after AMDvramtest

Might have a chance someone figure out my EFI folder, before I go full sickomode for clean install.
I have Above 4G Decoding, CSM and Inter Virtualization disabled in BIOS, if that matters.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.9 MB · Views: 75
I never even tried to mess with the power table of the Radeon VII.

I didn't know Radeon VII is EOL. I got one because it's at least semi-supported in macOS. Since Navi is a new architecture, I assumed that it would take a while for macOS drivers to appear.

Sorry, I meant the VGATab.

The R vii announcement kinda sucks because there will be no AIO models and AMD and Apple probably won't waste much time on them.

Navi is now getting better reviews and a softpowerplaytable mod is working, it will be nice if/when it comes to OS.

I clearly did all of that. You can't install web drivers on Mojave in the first place. The card boots fine with or without WEG. It happens to be not the kext issue.

You can install them but they wont work with acceleration. IF upgrading from HS they may have been left over?

Its not just about booting, WEG clears up a lot of issues, but you need lilu as well.

Sorry, I meant the VGATab.

The R vii announcement kinda sucks because there will be no AIO models and AMD and Apple probably won't waste much time on them.

Navi is now getting better reviews and a softpowerplaytable mod is working, it will be nice if/when it comes to OS.

I haven't tried VGTab either...

I was under the impression that the upcoming Mac Pros will be using variants of the Radeon VII so there may still be hope for improved Vega20 support.

Yes. Navi is looking good. Definitely a better "bang-for-the-buck". Hopefully, support will drop sooner rather than later.

Also the card doesn't boot at all sometimes, gets stuck at screenlockstate after AMDvramtest

Might have a chance someone figure out my EFI folder, before I go full sickomode for clean install.
I have Above 4G Decoding, CSM and Inter Virtualization disabled in BIOS, if that matters.

Have you tried with Above 4G Decoding enabled?

I've never had to disable virtualization on any of my hacks.

Have you tried iMacPro1,1 system definition?

For MacPro6,1, I believe the dGPU should be named GFX1. I don't know if WhateverGreen does the rename for that.

If I had to guess, I would say that the npci=0x3000 boot flag is the most likely culprit for your GPU problems.

You can install them but they wont work with acceleration. IF upgrading from HS they may have been left over?

Its not just about booting, WEG clears up a lot of issues, but you need lilu as well.
I'm doing a clean install now to confirm if there was Nvidia drivers conflict. Will confirm later. Also could you please point out what you've changed in the other guy's efi, that might help too?

Will remove npci flag, and try other definitions/acpi patches.

I'm doing a clean install now to confirm if there was Nvidia drivers conflict. Will confirm later. Also could you please point out what you've changed in the other guy's efi, that might help too?

Will remove npci flag, and try other definitions/acpi patches.

For the other guy, I removed a bunch of boot arguments, deleted ig-platform-id and device-id entries, and got rid of one of the Aptio fixes.

Have you tried with Above 4G Decoding enabled?

I've never had to disable virtualization on any of my hacks.

Have you tried iMacPro1,1 system definition?

For MacPro6,1, I believe the dGPU should be named GFX1. I don't know if WhateverGreen does the rename for that.

If I had to guess, I would say that the npci=0x3000 boot flag is the most likely culprit for your GPU problems.
Tried everything above, no changes.
Removing npci flag results in boot freeze during "pci configuration begin"
That's a dead end again

Tried everything above, no changes.
Removing npci flag results in boot freeze during "pci configuration begin"
That's a dead end again

Sorry. I don't know what else to try... I just don't have any experience with X99 or X299...

Sorry. I don't know what else to try... I just don't have any experience with X99 or X299...
Maybe there are just some general things you could point that might stop Radeon cards from accelerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back