Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it still running strong or any updates?
And as it reading as an older card?

No freezes after 10.14.5 beta 1 update. I bought a nice NvME for this test.

I edited that video on FCPX, no problems so far. I also installed other programs like Davinci Resolve. No issues but still
the old Vega10 was indicated on the GPU options. Im currently working on it now. Lightroom/Photoshop. no issues also.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 6.07.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 6.07.13 PM.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
any idea why I'm getting the (Could not alloc class "RadeonSensors") error message?

Attachments

• IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 191
any idea why I'm getting the (Could not alloc class "RadeonSensors") error message?
I was getting that error when I was injecting some of the fake sensor kexts. I just removed the graphics related ones, and good to go.

I was getting that error when I was injecting some of the fake sensor kexts. I just removed the graphics related ones, and good to go.

Vega 7 has about 20,000 sensors so there is a lot of confusion with the sensorkext.

Everything is good with 10.14.5 exempt that after maybe for 3 or 4 hours, my system is starting to lag. I need to restart my computer to get the full speed back. Anyone with the same behaviours with their VII ?

Hello, my Radeon VII arrived today, and finally I could tested, I tested in my new machine:

Core i9 7980XE overclocked 4.4Ghz Watercooled with AIO Corsair H115i Pro
64GB RAM Quad Channel 3000Mhz Corsair
X299 Asus-A
SSD 480GB Apple SATA with adapter (from an old MacBookPro from 2013)

The SMBIOS is from an iMacPro1,1. With the injection trick in 14.4.4 I had no results, I just started, tried to jump to the Login Screen but keeped freezed in the apple logo. I tried the 14.4.5 public beta 1 and it worked out of the box but I will point my test:

I have no h264/h265 asceleration
I have Airplay (the 2066 processors have no igpu and the airplay works right now with the dGPU)
The performance is not good yet, I encoded with Apple Pro Res 422HQ 12K Video in Windows and it took 4 minutes (WOWWWWWW) in premiere, but in Mac OS it took like 15 minutes like 3 times more.
Rise of the Tomb Raider, I played with a Vega 64 8GB fully configurated with all patches needed and in 4K with Maximum Settings (even that ones that are optional from Highest Settings in game) I had between 25 to 50FPs (depending on the scene), with the Radeon VII I had between 45 to 79FPS with the same settings, in some entire sections keeping the supreme 60FPS, that was really impresive and not possible with the Vega 64 at all (even not in windows). You can check that on the bottom left corner of the screenshot I am sharing.
With Final Cut the system just got restarted inmediatly I tried to edit, weird, but I don't have it updated is 10.4.4 Final, I will update to 10.4.6 and check it out.
After Testing several hours I didn't have the lag problem that other people says, well it is a different configuration but really no problems at all just the performance is still not optimal in some cases but stable in general.

I think they are only working improving the drivers but I hope for 10.14.5 official the support will be a reality... some screenshots.

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 11.23.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.20.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.20.37 AM.png

Last edited:
After Testing several hours I didn't have the lag problem that other people says, well it is a different configuration but really no problems at all just the performance is still not optimal in some cases but stable in general.
Thanks for Your feedback. Am I understanding correctly that In 10.14.5 beta there is Metal support and interface is usable ? It was horribly slow with 10.14 on x299.

Thanks for Your feedback. Am I understanding correctly that In 10.14.5 beta there is Metal support and interface is usable ? It was horribly slow with 10.14 on x299.

Hello, yes in 10.14.5 beta 1 there is full asceleration and Metal Support...

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 12.56.16 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back