Contribute
Register

Radeon VII (and new AMD gpus) compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isnt a prediction, but i was just messing around with what changed in the kexts throughout the betas and looked at the hardware apple released.

I think optimizing for the vega 64 was a priority in 10.14.4 since they are now using it as an internal native card.

some ground work for the vii was clearly done if you look at the id in the services kext and the fact that we can force it to work (kind of).

i think vii support wont ship in 10.14.4. but 10.14.5 beta 1 will drop a week or 2 later (as usual) and i think thats where we will see vii support as an external card (which we can then use internally).

as mentioned above by monolithic, thats not doom and gloom or the end of the world. its actually pretty good progress for such a new card and for apple who takes their time to do things right. (or try to do it right at least).

I agree with the view that vii support is on its way. we just need to wait.

INTERESTING UPDATE:

I have not had a single freeze in 3 days
. What changed:
- Installed Beta 6
- I decided to add a water cooler to my Vega VII for no other reason than I was bored and wanting something to do. I dont think that changed anything, but it did force me to put the Vega VII in PCI Slot 2 with the Vega 64 in slot 1. With the water cooler the Vega 64 would not fit in slot 2 with the Vega VII installed in slot 1. So in short, Vega VII moved to pci slot 2 for the first time since I started testing.
- Doing this install I wasnt sure what would work, so just for safety I enabled the onboard Intel and set that as primary display option.
- I did add the Vega VII id in the KEXT and fixed permissions.
- I am running the latest BIOS downloaded from the AMD site.
- I have full acceleration, including Metal.
- One small side point: Because I wasnt sure what would happen I booted with the Displayport cable plugged into the Vega 64. When it booted fine I switched the cable to the Vega VII.

Thats it. previously I would either have the Vega VII in slot 1 and Vega 64 in slot 2. Or the Vega VII in slot 1 and internal Intel enabled with the Vega VII in slot 1 as primary output.

So I kind of stumbled into the above config because of the extra space I needed for the water cooler.

As I mentioned, I have been using the machine with a lot of apps, including XCode and VS Code which used to freeze easily.

So far i havent had a single freeze. I have no idea what in this config made a difference or if i am just lucky and as soon as I click post it will freeze :D

Maybe switching internal display to primary and using the Vega VII in slot 2 with nothing in slot 1? I haven't messed around with other combinations but it might be interesting for others to play with if they are experiencing freezing.

INTERESTING UPDATE:

I have not had a single freeze in 3 days
. What changed:
- Installed Beta 6
- I decided to add a water cooler to my Vega VII for no other reason than I was bored and wanting something to do. I dont think that changed anything, but it did force me to put the Vega VII in PCI Slot 2 with the Vega 64 in slot 1. With the water cooler the Vega 64 would not fit in slot 2 with the Vega VII installed in slot 1. So in short, Vega VII moved to pci slot 2 for the first time since I started testing.
- Doing this install I wasnt sure what would work, so just for safety I enabled the onboard Intel and set that as primary display option.
- I did add the Vega VII id in the KEXT and fixed permissions.
- I am running the latest BIOS downloaded from the AMD site.
- I have full acceleration, including Metal.
- One small side point: Because I wasnt sure what would happen I booted with the Displayport cable plugged into the Vega 64. When it booted fine I switched the cable to the Vega VII.

Thats it. previously I would either have the Vega VII in slot 1 and Vega 64 in slot 2. Or the Vega VII in slot 1 and internal Intel enabled with the Vega VII in slot 1 as primary output.

So I kind of stumbled into the above config because of the extra space I needed for the water cooler.

As I mentioned, I have been using the machine with a lot of apps, including XCode and VS Code which used to freeze easily.

So far i havent had a single freeze. I have no idea what in this config made a difference or if i am just lucky and as soon as I click post it will freeze :D

Maybe switching internal display to primary and using the Vega VII in slot 2 with nothing in slot 1? I haven't messed around with other combinations but it might be interesting for others to play with if they are experiencing freezing.

This is interesting, I'll try this out in a few weeks as I'm out of the country next week. Hopefully someone else can try this out and confirm this works. Nice one though!

Hello. I need help. I've installed Mojave 10.14.3 and updating to 10.14.4 public beta 6, I own a radeon vii too. but it seems that every time I reboot it remains 10.14.3. thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 5.40.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 5.40.51 PM.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 89
Hello. I need help. I've installed Mojave 10.14.3 and updating to 10.14.4 public beta 6, I own a radeon vii too. but it seems that every time I reboot it remains 10.14.3. thanks

Go to top tool bar and select Finder. Scroll to Preferences and select. Check the box next to Hard Disk. Now the drive will appear on your desktop. Open it, do you see a folder “Install MacOS Mojave”? If not download it again.

When you do the update you have to select in your clover screen the Install MacOS Mojave tab not the Boot MacOS Mojave Tab. The Install tab appears a couple of times after it is no longer an option then select the normal boot from MacOS Mojave tab and finish the update.

This can be many things but one thing to look out for is to make sure when clover starts the first time after you ran through the install of 10.14.4 beta and osx restarts for the first time that you boot into the installer preboot option in clover, not your standard mac os instance. if you boot into the standard mac os instance and not the installer prebooter it rolls back to the previous version installed.

i hope this helps.

Okay, I just got my Radeon VII 11 hours ago and am testing. It boots without acceleration, but every time I try to inject it (id in X5000, injector kext I made myself, etc.) I get a black screen. I'm using the iGPU but with a connectorless ig-platform-id (I don't know if that matters). I have yet to try the "DP next to HDMI" method because I have two monitors... What makes it even harder to diagnose is both are 144 Hz 1440p Freesync and I know my Vega 64 had issues with Freesync in the past.

Update: BOTH MONITORS WORK!

Just moved them to the two closest ports to the HDMI port. Here's an injector kext (will work from /C/K/O)... My system partition was touched but reverted it.

Nobody needs to kext-mangle anymore.

Edit: Still getting the freezes, though. :c

Attachments

• AMDRadeonVII.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
thanks!
1. Install the update
2. wait untill it shows "installing software update" then the system will restart
3. boot to mac OS install
4. back to "About XX minutes remaining"
5. reboot to the Main OSX install

10.4.3 to 10.4.4 beta 6. now focusing on the Metal support :)

Update: BOTH MONITORS WORK!

Just moved them to the two closest ports to the HDMI port. Here's an injector kext (will work from /C/K/O)... My system partition was touched but reverted it.

Nobody needs to kext-mangle anymore.

Edit: Still getting the freezes, though. :c
wow we have the same motherboard and Radeon VII. just edited the 5000kext and having ang black screen. how do you manage to boot to mojave again? so that you can install your VII kext? thanks a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back