Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to revert back to 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework as well. When using the 10.14.1 HEVC kext and native AppleGVA.framework, system completely froze when I tried to view a video in Photos.

I ended up rolling back to 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework again. With the 10.14.1 framework, and the dummy KEXT to add properties, things seemed to work. It doesn't take much to rock the boat, though--even clicking around a few videos from my camera roll in Photos will start the lag/lockup.

(I tried iMac14,1 / iMacPro1,1 / iMac18,3, plus a few others, both via shiki-id and SMBIOS board-id, and also switching between Elsmere and Baffin accelerators)

I didn't notice anything unusual in the logs when it happens, with these turned on:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA gvaDebug -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA enableSyslog -boolean yes

I'll keep an eye on things, but for now I have H264 decode, and I guess software fallback on HEVC, since HEVC videos in Photos still play, I can still do a video export, etc. I don't need HW HEVC for movies at all, so CPU works. I'm still worried I won't be able to hold the framework back more than one or two more updates, so hopefully there's a breakthrough at some point!

Quick edit: If you do have HEVC encode-only issues, I think you can also do:

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceSWEncoder -boolean yes

If you are doing professional works, why not try a Vega 56/64 GPU, it is native at least.

If you are doing professional works, why not try a Vega 56/64 GPU, it is native at least.

I've kept an eye on the MR thread. It's still riddled with problems, with is kind of sad on Apple's part. The fan issue would drive me crazy, but does have workouts. The very latest post is someone with what sounds like a hardware decoder freeze on 10.14.1 though :/

Might try my luck with a 56/64 card if something great shows up during Black Friday...

Would there be any issues with using a MacPro SMBIOS with a 4790k CPU?

CPU Power management issue, probably. Apple's Mac Pros uses Sandy and Ivy processors, which does not support XCPM method, however Haswell processors need XCPM.

I tried using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS but unfortunately, it breaks DRM. I am not able to use Netflix in Safari. Could it be because the 4790k CPU is not compatible with the SMBIOS? For the HEVC 10.14.1 kext, my card ID is shown in the Baffin section:0x67DF1002 but my GPU is Ellesmere (MSI RX 480 Gaming X). So do I have to remove the ID from Baffin section and add it to Ellesmere?

I have now returned the applegva to 10.14.0. However, the gpu does not work in the edcoding (fcpx).
Only the cpu performs the encoding.

Remove swapID.kext, since it's doing the same sort of thing as the HEVC.10.14.1.kext from this thread. Your SMBIOS is using a MacPro6,1 board-id, which doesn't use acceleration. You can tell WhateverGreen to use a different board-id for just AppleGVA purposes with the boot arguments in this thread.

If you have working NVRAM you can do this, which is what I'm doing here for the WEG boot args. In terminal: sudo nvram boot-args="shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7DF2A3B5E5D671ED" (that's iMac13,3 ID).

--

And on my own setup: The HEVC.10.14.1.kext from post #325 did the trick! I guess the post #323 would work too--I know a 580 will still work on a Baffin accelerator. I'm still using the iMacPro1,1 shiki-id, although I'll look at changing that to a more accurate ID if I hit issues.

Edit: Not quite fully working--seeing the same mostly-freeze behavior on encoding (my test is a Photos videos export).

1. boot args added: shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94
2. Edit device with 0x64FF1002 and HEVC.10.14.1.kext with 0x64FF1002 in plist.conf
3. Download IINA 1.0 Beta 4 and test videos .ts recorded to my tv

Now, I think all is ok, almost not freeze with nothing. Not probe with VideoProc but isn't work. How can I do more¿? My config.plist is OK?

PD: System freeze with new macOS Mojave apps like News, Stocks, Home And Voice Memos Apps. What is issue with metal2? Any solution?

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back