Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I've used your dummy kext and updated to do the 'swap' (because my card RX 580 is routed to use the Ellesmere instead Baffin).
I didn't have the need to use the params shikigva=32 and shiki-id, with my SMBIOS iMac15,1 is ok.
Also, I've reverted the AppleGVA.framework from the Mojave 10.14.1.

Now, the results are:
- Full VDA: Yes
- iTunes DRM: Yes (streaming movies and extras)
- Netflix on Safari: Yes
- Samples videos (H264 and HEVC) average 4% and peaks of 15% of CPU.
- JPEG on quicklook: No, so I've reinstalled the NoVPAJpeg.kext on /EFI/.../Others
- Airplay: Yes

Attached are the kext modified by me.
Thanks!

I can see that you added Ellesmere support, but I don't see there are "IOGVAHEVC*" options in there, how did it work?

With Sapphire RX 580 and Xeon someone can be use new apps like Stocks? I had freeze (mouse works) and can’t open this app with all the changes on Mojave 10.14.1.

I can see that you added Ellesmere support, but I don't see there are "IOGVAHEVC*" options in there, how did it work?

On that version, I was based on the swapID.kext (which uses the driver of Baffin instead the Ellesmere, ignore it).
I've updated my dummy kext, simplifying to Ellesmere only (see attached).

Anyway, the freeze issue continue. There is something which is not 100% compatible with the RX580 yet. I've read on ****** that some people thinks that is related to kind the memory that the card uses. On my case, my card use memory SKHYNIX; there are two kind more from Gigabyte which use memories MICRON and SAMSUNG.

The Sapphire RX580, suppose to be the more accurate for macOS but according the post #369 there is some issues as well. So the thing about the memory on the cards could be an answer.

At the moment, everything works like a charm except for VideoProc and FCPX. When I need to use FCPX I simply deactivate the Kext when boot (holding spacebar, then go to block kext inject).

Attachments

• AMDRadeonEllesmereGVA.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I had no issue running those apps. Sapphire RX460 and Xeon E3, 10.14.1.
Can you share with us what driver is working with you? Using IORegistryExplorer, search for Display (for example):
Captura de pantalla 2018-11-05 a la(s) 11.36.52.png

Attached is the tool, btw.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer.zip
    265.6 KB · Views: 50
On that version, I was based on the swapID.kext (which uses the driver of Baffin instead the Ellesmere, ignore it).

Anyway, the freeze issue continue. There is something which is not 100% compatible with the RX580 yet. I've read on ****** that some people thinks that is related to kind the memory that the card uses. On my case, my card use memory SKHYNIX; there are two kind more from Gigabyte which use memories MICRON and SAMSUNG.

The Sapphire RX580, suppose to be the more accurate for macOS but according the post #369 there is some issues as well. So the thing about the memory on the cards could be an answer.

At the moment, everything works like a charm except for VideoProc and FCPX. When I need to use FCPX I simply deactivate the Kext when boot (holding spacebar, then go to block kext inject).

Now i see. you don't have to block the kext, you just need to comment this key in the info.plist:
#IOGVAHEVCEncode
In this way, no freeze, but encoding will use CPU only.

I also tried something else. i tried to inject RX 560's device-id with Vega 56/64's. the injection method worked, but failed to boot. attached screenshot is a proof of successful injection of model name (i commented the device-id, because it will fail to boot)

Attachments

• IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:31.jpg
    IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:31.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:35.jpg
    IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:35.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:38.jpg
    IMAGE 2018-11-06 00:47:38.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 112

Does this new kext allow 10.14.1 AppleGVA.framework to work? I tried using the kext with 10.14.1 AppleGVA.framework but it breaks Netflix.

Does this new kext allow 10.14.1 AppleGVA.framework to work? I tried using the kext with 10.14.1 AppleGVA.framework but it breaks Netflix.

I think you need these boot args in order to keep 10.14.1 AppleGVA.framework :

shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-031B6874CF7F642A

this allow board-id replacement, which replaces your board-id to iMac 14,1's board-id, then you may be able to play Netflix.

Last edited:

Yes. As @justinhe said, you can use the shiki-id bootarg if you have issues.
On my case, doesn't necessary with iMac15,1. (I've a Haswell CPU, i7 4790K).

I tried but it did not work. Initially I just replaced AppleGVA.Framework from 10.14.1 and placed the kext in Other folder. I then tried args as well but no luck. I reverted back to 10.14.0 and Netflix is working again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back