Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey dude, thanks for sharing.
I do have quite the similar specs as yours.

- Asrock H81M-VG4
- E3-1231 v3
- Sapphire RX460 4G OC

Clover
- no injection

However, it seems both h264/HEVC decode are not working.
Here is my /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder.
I also tried to add WhateverGreen, not working still.
aehKgwJ.png

Could you please also check my config? Or is that okay to share your config also? Thanks!

Attached is my config.plist.

Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext are necessary to make the 2 Shiki boot args work.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 147
If you don't mind, could you share your config file? I'm trying to get H264 decoding working on my system. I am currently using iMac14,2 profile. I used the second arg you have posted but no luck with it. When I try to check for H264 support in VideoProc app, the system just hangs. I have a RX 480 card and am pretty sure it supports H264 decoding.

please see my config.plist attached. I have both Lilu and whatevergreen in clover/kexts/other. they are must have kexts to enable shikigva and shiki-id boot args.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 165
I modified with new one as attached, now HEVC decoding works perfect.
Great work.

How about H264 & HEVC encoding with your setup ?
Have you tried that ?

If you don't mind, could you share your config file? I'm trying to get H264 decoding working on my system. I am currently using iMac14,2 profile. I used the second arg you have posted but no luck with it. When I try to check for H264 support in VideoProc app, the system just hangs. I have a RX 480 card and am pretty sure it supports H264 decoding.

If you look at:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Resources/Info.plist
And check iMac 14,2's board-id which is Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61 under System Support, expand it, you will find there is :

forceOfflineRenderer YES

Any Board-id with that key and value will fail to do H264 hardware decoding, that's why shikigva and shiki-id are needed to replace the SMBIOS's board-id on the fly.

I recommend iMac 14,1 so you don't have to use shikigva and Shiki-id args.

Great work.

How about H264 & HEVC encoding with your setup ?
Have you tried that ?

Tried Quicktime Player's screen recording, I was able to export as HEVC but macOS freeze during exporting (iTunes music was still playing background well), and I can hardly do anything with keyboard and mouse. I had to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button. I guess hardware encoding was being used, but not the correctly way. I will do more search.

Hi, do you have disabled or enabled IGPU? Did you try if checker in VideoProc works for you? Thanks.

Yes, I have disabled the IGPU.
No, I cannot do tests with VideoProc because when it starts make macOS almost freezed (CPU and video looks works fine, it looks more like a software issue). The test that I do is using VDADecoderChecker (attached), export videos with QuickTime and watch videos coded on H264 or HEVC (see it in post #323) as well as monitoring the CPU usage with "Intel Power Gadget".

Attachments

• VDADecoderChecker 2.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Tried Quicktime Player's screen recording, I was able to export as HEVC but macOS freeze during exporting (iTunes music was still playing background well), and I can hardly do anything with keyboard and mouse. I had to do a hard reset by pressing the reset button. I guess hardware encoding was being used, but not the correctly way. I will do more search.

I had no issues exporting video using HVEC or not (from quicktime). Also FCPX works like a charm.
AFAIK the boot args are not necessary (on my case) because the SMBIOS that I'm using fit better with my hw configuration (with exception of the video card which is more 'modern').

Attached are my efi folder, so you can check out. I suggest, if you have a similar mobo+cpu, use my SMBIOS; if not, change it to a SMBIOS which fits better with your hw.

PS: Airplay is working fine, finally the problem were on my LAN.

Attachments

• efi_folder.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 103
  • Captura de pantalla 2018-11-03 a la(s) 09.24.31.png
    23.4 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Dude, I did try but both h264/h265 hw decode were still not working at all.
meWfJmF.jpg

E4DH6Gmr.jpg

aoBiykf.png

- SMBIOS: MacPro6,1,
- boot flag "-lilubeta shiki-id=Mac-7DF2A3B5E5D671ED alcid=13 -wegbeta shikigva=32"
- keepstms=1, kext-dev-mode=1, debug=0x100 -v

Kexts
- WhateverGreen.kext
- AppleALC.kext
- FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- HEVC.10.14.1.kext
- Lilu.kext
- NoVPAJpeg.kext
- RealtekRTL8111.kext

Your CPU is a Haswell, MacPro6,1 is not suitable, try iMac 14,1

Your IINA is not the latest, upgrade to beta4.

I had no issues exporting video using HVEC or not (from quicktime). Also FCPX works like a charm.
AFAIK the boot args are not necessary (on my case) because the SMBIOS that I'm using fit better with my hw configuration (with exception of the video card which is more 'modern').

Attached are my efi folder, so you can check out. I suggest, if you have a similar mobo+cpu, use my SMBIOS; if not, change it to a SMBIOS which fits better with your hw.

Thanks for sharing, maybe because you got an iGPU? I will take a deep look at your EFI
Also you may not need the NoVPAJpeg.kext if you add CAIL_DisableJpegEngine 0 to the cail_properties of the HEVC.10.14.1.kext

So, in case I get this freeze again, I removed IOGVAHEVCEncode line, now I'm able to export screen recording from Quicktime as HEVC but it uses 90% of CPU. I may try different SMBIOS if I got time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back