Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is why i asked if somebody got a solution allready ;)
wow a fun confusion :mrgreen:
I have watched this topic for quite a long time, there is still no solution on 10.14

I have this problem

OrNL41j.png
r0pDojP.png

My Intel Xeon E5 2680v2 with Shapphire RX580 Nitro+ OC freeze without Whatevergreen+lilu and with Whatevergreen+lilu, but with SwapID.kext no freeze but don´t have aceleration. Is there any solution in Mojave?

This are the settings that I'm using:
- enable iGPU in the BIOS (set "enabled", not automatic)
- install latest Lilu + Whatevergreen kext on your EFI folder (in Kexts>Others)
- remove every settings about GPU or CPU in your Clover Config: you don't need Inject Intel, ig-platform-id, RadeonDeInit or any FakeID
Many thanks @Michelinu ! I upgraded to Mojave last week and I fine tuned my setup. Everything was working fine, or so I thought. I had a project in FCPX that I was working on (not a good idea to upgrade in the middle of a project!), and I just noticed yesterday that FCPX couldn't export in h264 anymore… A quick search on the forum, and sure enough I found this thread and your solution. I just had to uncheck Inject Intel in CloverConfigurator, and boom! Export is back…

Hi! I've tried to use AMDRadeonX4250.kext without any luck. Hardware encoding is set to no, wherever I check this. I've tried different combos of this kext with many versions of whatever green, lilu etc. Is there anyone willing to help a noob like me?

Yes, place it to Clover/kexts/Other.
It just a temporary workaround, some features may be missing, if OpenCL performance drop after video playback, quit all video player apps and Safari, clear apps cache by put computer to sleep, after system wakeup, OpenCL performance will be normal.

So, this does fix this problem with Radeon RX580 Sapphire cards that I too had been experiencing.

Is there a plan for further development of this dummy.kext, to also address the other issues of video playback?

For Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW decode/encode, need edit AMDRadeonX4250.kext info.plist, copy below settings from AMDRadeonX5000.kext info.plist to fully enable HW HEVC support,

IOGVACodec
IOGVAHEVCDecode
IOGVAHEVCEncode
IOGVAVTCapabilities

The best is create a dummy kext injector (similar to verde.kext method) and place it into Clover/kext/Other folder.

I have a Gigabyte Raedon RX 580 Gaming 8G and before to upgrade to Mojave 10.14.1, I reached to use Airplay and streaming DRM on iTunes (using Lilu + Whatevergreen, no clover injections). Now, Airplay is gone and the movies only I can watch if I previously download them.

I have completely disabled the IGPU and my SMBIOS is iMac15,1. Any clue?
I tried the steps here to enable HWA without success :(

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
This seems like the most appropriate thread. It does seem like Mojave 10.14.1 has broken DGPU-only setups for decoding. I'm running a Xeon, so no integrated GPU is even available (there's another report here of someone on an X299 setup, so also no IGPU).

My current config:

- MacPro5,1 SMBIOS
- Latest WEG/LILU, with boot-args "agdpmod=pikera shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" (so using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS for GVA)
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 (I also tested on a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 570)

This worked fine in 10.14.0. I don't use iTunes DRM/Airplay or FCPX, but things that did work: Exporting videos out of Photos app, system-provided hardware decoding (specifically videos in Vivaldi browser, since they fall back to macOS due to not providing their own video stack). Self-compiled VDADecoderChecker reported "Hardware acceleration is fully supported".

In 10.14.1, I can't get any encoding. Stuff I've tried:

- Other board-ids, either in SMBIOS or via WEG
- The Ellesmere.kext from post #200 in this thread (also tried swapID.kext to downgrade to Baffin)
- Removing WEG/Lilu
- Other Shiki flags in https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.hpp#L34
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder force

None of those things worked for decoding acceleration.

You can replace AppleGVA.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with the 10.14.0 version, which does work. I don't like this solution, though, because it's likely to cause more problems, especially in the long run.

Perhaps this patch no longer works? It's way out of my depth, though. I don't have that flag set now, but I did experiment with it: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.cpp#L211

I attached the 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework in case anybody on 10.14.1 also wants to revert and doesn't want to go through the trouble of digging it out.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a solution. For my uses, I don't even mind falling back to software decoding/encoding. System video decoding just breaks for me, though (which I don't really understand, because real MacPro5,1 users must be in the same situation?)

Attachments

• AppleGVA.framework-10.14.0.zip
    926.3 KB · Views: 208
This seems like the most appropriate thread. It does seem like Mojave 10.14.1 has broken DGPU-only setups for decoding. I'm running a Xeon, so no integrated GPU is even available (there's another report here of someone on an X299 setup, so also no IGPU).

My current config:

- MacPro5,1 SMBIOS
- Latest WEG/LILU, with boot-args "agdpmod=pikera shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94" (so using iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS for GVA)
- Sapphire Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 (I also tested on a Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 570)

This worked fine in 10.14.0. I don't use iTunes DRM/Airplay or FCPX, but things that did work: Exporting videos out of Photos app, system-provided hardware decoding (specifically videos in Vivaldi browser, since they fall back to macOS due to not providing their own video stack). Self-compiled VDADecoderChecker reported "Hardware acceleration is fully supported".

In 10.14.1, I can't get any encoding. Stuff I've tried:

- Other board-ids, either in SMBIOS or via WEG
- The Ellesmere.kext from post #200 in this thread (also tried swapID.kext to downgrade to Baffin)
- Removing WEG/Lilu
- Other Shiki flags in https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.hpp#L34
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder force

None of those things worked for decoding acceleration.

You can replace AppleGVA.framework in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks with the 10.14.0 version, which does work. I don't like this solution, though, because it's likely to cause more problems, especially in the long run.

Perhaps this patch no longer works? It's way out of my depth, though. I don't have that flag set now, but I did experiment with it: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/WhateverGreen/kern_shiki.cpp#L211

I attached the 10.14.0 AppleGVA.framework in case anybody on 10.14.1 also wants to revert and doesn't want to go through the trouble of digging it out.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for a solution. For my uses, I don't even mind falling back to software decoding/encoding. System video decoding just breaks for me, though (which I don't really understand, because real MacPro5,1 users must be in the same situation?)

This workaround (revert the AppleGVA.framework) works for me. My config:
- iMac15,1 SMBIOS
- Latests WEG/LILU
- Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming G8
- Override AppleGVA.framework from Mojave 10.14.0
- Bootargs: none
- IGPU: Disabled

Results:
- iTunes DRM works like a charm.
- Netflix on Safari works like a charm.
- Airplay don't; I was thinking to revert the AMD kexts from Mojave 10.14.0, but I'm not sure if I'm in a correct way.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back