Contribute
Register

Radeon RX 4XX/5XX standalone system, AMDRadeonX4250.kext (GVA support H264) does not support HEVC HW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it mean I need to add "change PEGP to GFX0" to the config.plist like this?

Yes, rename PEGP to GFX0 is required for AMD HEVC support.

I don't do that but it works well!

If GFX0 is applied in custom ssdt, or WhateverGreen is in use, do not need rename PEGP to GFX0 in config.plist.

Yes, rename PEGP to GFX0 is required for AMD HEVC support.

If GFX0 is applied in custom ssdt, or WhateverGreen is in use, do not need rename PEGP to GFX0 in config.plist.
thanks

Tested with new Lilu 1.2.5 + WhateverGreen 1.2.0 on 10.13.6, no issue, AMD GVA support work fine.

Try update dyld_shared_cache, and rebuild system cache, AMD GVA support should work.

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
sudo kextcache -i /

I'm using iMac18,2 as SMBIOS, this might be the problem. The patch was applied correctly because in IORegistryExplorer IOGVACodec was properly renamed in IOGVACodex.

Now I'm using the old Whatevergreen + IntelGraphicsFixup because with the new Whatevergreen the DP audio is not working.

I'll try again and then run the commands.

- UPDATE -

Latest Lilu + Whatevergreen, iGPU disabled and only "IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex" patch, it's not working properly. I run the commands 2 times, just to be sure.
It's very slow to export HEVC videos.
The "IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex" patch doesn't cause the system to freeze but it's slow.

By using the iGPU it's about 4 times fastest and I don't think that the RX580 it's slower than the iGPU.

Last edited:
I'm using iMac18,2 as SMBIOS, this might be the problem. The patch was applied correctly because in IORegistryExplorer IOGVACodec was properly renamed in IOGVACodex.

Now I'm using the old Whatevergreen + IntelGraphicsFixup because with the new Whatevergreen the DP audio is not working.

I'll try again and then run the commands.

- UPDATE -

Latest Lilu + Whatevergreen, iGPU disabled and only "IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex" patch, it's not working properly. I run the commands 2 times, just to be sure.
It's very slow to export HEVC videos.
The "IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex" patch doesn't cause the system to freeze but it's slow.

By using the iGPU it's about 4 times fastest and I don't think that the RX580 it's slower than the iGPU.

My RX460 transcoding a 120 minutes 1080p H264 (13M bitrate) to 1080p HEVC (FCPX default bitrate 6500K), complete time round 40 minutes (3:1), same as 1080p HEVC to 1080p HEVC.

If using IQSV for HEVC transcoding, need more than 2 hours, both H264 to HEVC or HEVC to HEVC.

Edit:
Try re-config AppleGVA and coremedia preferences

defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceATI -boolean yes
defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwareVideoDecoder force

Last edited:
Need SMBIOS fully supported by AppleGVA, below SMBIOSs are common use for system without IGPU.

MacPro5,1 does not supported by AppleGVA, no HW H264/HEVC decoding/encoding support at all.

MacPro6,1 partially supported by AppleGVA, no HW H264 decoding/encoding, HW HEVC decoding/encoding work when GPU is connected to device GFX0, IOGVACodec function still cause system freeze.

iMacPro1,1 fully supported by AppleGVA, for AMD HEVC support, GPU must connect to device GFX0, system may freeze when Apps try to utilise IOGVACodec.

Upload your ioreg file may helpful.

Currently, AMD H264 encoder not work correctly or not supported by Apps, easy cause system freeze, need disable IOGVACodec (H264 encoder will not work but decoder still work, no effect to AMD HEVC support) for compatibility.

Try create a dummy kext to disable IOGVACodec, if it is called by AMDRadeonX5000 info.plist, rename key IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex, place it to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other, see attached sample.

Or create a workaround patch to disable IOGVACodec, if it is native initiated by AMDVega10GraphicsAccelerator, see below patch.

Name
AMDRadeonX5000

Comment
IOGVACodec workaround

Find
494F4756 41436F64 6563

Replace
494F4756 41436F64 6578

Need update system cache

sudo kexcache -i /

thanks for the info

as i didnt have GFX0 i fixed that in clover config and threw out vegafixup.kext (which only enabled ports but didnt rename to GFX0)

seems to work fine so far with h264 encode/decode and HEVC (8bit) encode/decode (although monitoring gpu usage while encoding shows low utilisation. export is fine though and quite fast too, cpu usage low so i assume it is done by gpu)

there has been some changes in iMac Pro smbios implementation so that probably helped too, because in the past when i had GFX0 through whatervergreen I had freezes with h264

i didnt do any of the other fixes, will see how this works out before

need more testing, but so far its very good, thank you!

Last edited:
thanks for your help!

I found a new problem, when I test OpenCL with geekbench 4, I got 120000+, but after an online video, I only got 60000+, whats wrong with it, does any people has the same problem, and the similar problem was found with Luxmak.:crazy:

thanks for your help!

I found a new problem, when I test OpenCL with geekbench 4, I got 120000+, but after an online video, I only got 60000+, whats wrong with it, does any people has the same problem, and the similar problem was found with Luxmak.:crazy:

OpenCL performance drop after video playback is known issue, seems to be graphics resource locked by Apps, quit all browser and video player Apps, let system go to sleep, it will release apps cache, after system wake up, OpenCL performance will be normal.

OpenCL performance drop after video playback is known issue, seems to be graphics resource locked by Apps, quit all browser and video player Apps, let system go to sleep, it will release apps cache, after system wake up, OpenCL performance will be normal.
em... got it, thanks again:thumbup:

On 10.14 DP 1, AMD HEVC HW encode / decode OK, H264 decode OK, H264 encoder disabled by Apple.
On 10.14 DP 2/3, AMD HEVC encoding no longer work, HEVC HW decoding work with VLC 3.0.4 but not work with QuickTime.

On 10.13.5, for AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator (RX470/480/570/580) use below patch to disable IOGVACodec, remove SwapID.kext if installed, should fix FCPX freeze without OpenCL performance drop, all CUs work.

Name
AMDRadeonX4000

Comment
Rename IOGVACodec to IOGVACodex

Find
494F4756 41436F64 6563

Replace
494F4756 41436F64 6578
Does this fix applies for RX480 cards as wel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back