Gigabyte HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Greetings internet,
There seems to be many problems with the 6xxx, and I've read through and tried everything I can.
My build is a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 with Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD6870 graphics. Graphics were fully recognized and functional in Lion, although I used GraphicsEnabler=No. Now, in Mountain Lion, it will only boot with GE=No, as expected, but there are no graphics effects and no native resolution. I've tried reinstalling ATI6000Controller.kext and replacing it with its counterpart from the working lion drive, with no success. It is listed in system profiler, though not in about this mac. No kext is listed as loaded in system profiler.
I'm lost, as I don't even know that this kext is the problem. Most of the discussion on these graphics seems to deal with install, which I was able to get to without using the delete-the-kext-from-the-usb-key-for-install-and-kextbeast-it-back-after solution, and only GE=No.
Any guidance is appreciated.

Ok these kexts here show the first signs of progress http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2908
I have native resolution and now can boot with either GE=Yes or No. Either way, there is still no acceleration. Cinebench lists Apple Software Renderer either way. However, while GE=No shows 6xxx in About this mac, GE=Yes shows HD 6870. I don't know the significance of this as the card isn't doing much either way.
Please help, thank you.

I'll keep writing to myself for the good of our kind.
I've tried changing the system definition to Mac Pro 5,1, as I read somewhere that enables newer graphics features my card might need, but that caused a kernel panic.
No adjustments to the booth plist seems to have any effect. I've messed with AtiConfig and AtiPorts as well as a few others, even trying the exact settings from the working Lion install.
Given everything ostensibly works besides acceleration, with the card recognized and all, as well as native resolution, my next move is to track down all the necessary ati kexts from Lion and try them. I've nothing but desperation backing this up.
Many thanks, please guide me.

The lion Ati kexts show the same behavior as the custom ones I found at the link. Properly recognized, native resolution, no acceleration. However, my lion install lacks a AMDAccelerator kext, so I used the other.

For curiosity and science, I put back the original ML kexts, but this still only boots on GE=No and shows no recognition or acceleration.

I hope that the answer lies somewhere between these 3 sets of kexts. Part of what prompted this adventure was the discovery of what I thought to be unsatisfactory graphcis performance on Lion. Everything worked, it just should have been better. Could this be connected to the lack of an accelerator kext?

I am biased towards GE=Yes because that shows the name of my card, but is it actually superior? I've read that some apps crash on GE=No and such.

Please help! I'm a very desperate man.

I used to have a GA 68x series mobo, a GA HD 6850 card, and everything was working great under 10.8.3 with an earlier unibeast/multibeast install. I know I had GraphicsEnabler=Y and the up-to-date chameleon for the time. I didn't have to do anything funny except for the usual installation dance (remove the ATI6000Controller.kext when booting to the internal HD for the first time, and re-install it with kextbeast after running multibeast).

I do recall at one point having to insert AtiConfig=Bulrushes, AtiPorts=4 but I don't recall when or why I had to do that. Perhaps that was 10.8.0. On 10.8.3, no issues other than the kext dance.

Currently using a 6870 in 10.8.4 without any problems and full acceleration. Same as above where I had to remove and replace the ATI6000Controller.kext when installing orginally. I do once in a while after an update or I start messing with stuff it tends to start hanging on boot with the card installed. My fix is booting first with my Intel HD 4000 and reinstalling all my settings in Multibeast (My working theory is fakesmc gets borked), make sure chimera is up to date, and then repair permissions.

Ah, got it.

*The solution was to remove the 6870 and do a fresh install using onboard graphics and replace the card after.* Fully recognized using GE=Yes, full acceleration. Over 40fps in cinebench.

greetings internet,
there seems to be many problems with the 6xxx, and i've read through and tried everything i can.
My build is a ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 with gigabyte ati radeon hd6870 graphics. Graphics were fully recognized and functional in lion, although i used graphicsenabler=no. Now, in mountain lion, it will only boot with ge=no, as expected, but there are no graphics effects and no native resolution. I've tried reinstalling ati6000controller.kext and replacing it with its counterpart from the working lion drive, with no success. It is listed in system profiler, though not in about this mac. No kext is listed as loaded in system profiler.
I'm lost, as i don't even know that this kext is the problem. Most of the discussion on these graphics seems to deal with install, which i was able to get to without using the delete-the-kext-from-the-usb-key-for-install-and-kextbeast-it-back-after solution, and only ge=no.
Any guidance is appreciated.
thx Képernyőfotó 2013-08-17 - 21.08.10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back