Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Hey!
Thank you for the guide. After very long time trying to get my gpu working, I decided to ask for help on this thread. No matter what setting I try (with/ without whatevergreen, radeondeinit, injectATI + adding correct framebuffer (orinoco)) I cant boot without blackscreen. Today I found out using a DP cable finally lets me logging in. Has anyone an idea what else I could try to geht the HDMI Port working for my second monitor?

Last edited:
I am having the issue with ATI XFX card (7970 3GB). Like described, it crashes in the middle of the boot sequence.

Now you offered solution here:

A common solution is either flashing a alternate VBIOS on your card (only do if you can recover form a bad flash!) or using Clover to load a compatible VBIOS dynamically (without flashing).

But on that link, there is no explanation what is "compatabile VBIOS". I mean how do I know which one is compatible and where to download it ? Thanks

In the attachment is a version of my curent vbios.

EDIT:

Also, I can't really boot even with integrated graphics other than in Safe Mode. I kinda figured out how to load another vbios, but I can't run Clover Configurator in safe mode..So I am stuck.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Has anyone changed the VBIOS on the Radeon Frontier Edition Air-Cooled to Liquid Cooled?
I am asking because the Liquid Cooled VBIOS has faster clock speeds and now that I am running Radeon FE under liquid, would like to know if I can gain some performance? Even if it's just 5%.

I'm seeing extremely sluggish performance with my powercolor rx570 4gb card. I just upgraded from el capitan to mojave and installed this card new. I'm still on a 3570k intel chip and I have both the IGPU and the GPU showing up in System Preferences. When I run cinebench opengl I'm only seeing 18fps. I've read elsewhere that mojave doesn't play well with older intel chips. Am I missing something? I get 4k/60gps with switchresx, but I would expect better framerates and it appears even when benchmarking that my GPU fans barely run.

I'm seeing extremely sluggish performance with my powercolor rx570 4gb card. I just upgraded from el capitan to mojave and installed this card new. I'm still on a 3570k intel chip and I have both the IGPU and the GPU showing up in System Preferences. When I run cinebench opengl I'm only seeing 18fps. I've read elsewhere that mojave doesn't play well with older intel chips. Am I missing something? I get 4k/60gps with switchresx, but I would expect better framerates and it appears even when benchmarking that my GPU fans barely run.

I would guess you need to configure your IGPU to be headless or disable it. Then plug your monitor/s into the RX card. You also should make your own post to get help with this.

Has anyone changed the VBIOS on the Radeon Frontier Edition Air-Cooled to Liquid Cooled?
I am asking because the Liquid Cooled VBIOS has faster clock speeds and now that I am running Radeon FE under liquid, would like to know if I can gain some performance? Even if it's just 5%.

I am sure if you look around the forums you can find someone that did as you are looking to do. However your milage may very in how much of a performance increase you might get.

Cinebench is a poor choice of benchmarks to gauge GPU performance. The OpenGL benchmark is severely limited by CPU speed and bandwidth. Since you are using such an old CPU, it's no surprise you are getting very poor results. The old MacPro1,1-5,1 suffer from the same issue. For example, the same Vega 64 will give a much, much higher score when Cinebench is run on an i7-8700K system vs a MacPro5,1.

Also, keep in mind that OpenGL has been depreciated by Apple and will not be included in the next major macOS release.

I am sure if you look around the forums you can find someone that did as you are looking to do. However your milage may very in how much of a performance increase you might get.

Hi, I looked around the web and only found an LC VBIOS for Radeon FE that was set to "Standard" mode and not "Performance" mode.

Basically LC edition and FE are the same except LC VBIOS has a higher power limit around 1700MHz. I am just looking for the stock OEM VBIOS file from LC set in "Performance" mode (switch toward rear ports)

I will look more.

Last edited:
Turns out I had to generate SSDT. Vast improvement. Cinebench jumped up to 80 fps.

Hey guys

First Hackintosh here, I managed to get it fully working excepted the graphics
I have a R9 290 tri-x with 2 screens (DP -> 4k, HDMI -> 1440p)
It works great on one monitor at the time (4k/1440p with full acceleration on DP/HDMI) but when I try to connect the second monitor the both screens get black and the system is frozen, I have to do a hard reboot.

What I did was modifying the AMD8000Controller, AMD4000Controller and AMDRadeonX4000HWServices kexts adding the id of my card, without any inject to get here
I then tried multiple things to make the two monitors work without success : Lilu + WhateverGreen, injectATI=true, patching frameBuffer, changing SMBIOS from iMac to Mac Pro 6,1, disabling AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy ... And many combinations

Here is my config.plist if anyone wants to take a look

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 211
Back