Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

So will a MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G work entirely? Are there any problems with it? My Asus Strix GTX970 is getting an RMA because it crashes under load (got it 2 weeks ago when I built my brand new Hackintosh/Windows dual boot). Now, 2 weeks later, it seems like a lot has happened for RX 480 support and it is similarly priced but gives 8GB VRAM which is really nice compared to the 4GB (or actually 3.5GB, because 0.5GB is not usable) of the GTX970.

I currently run one monitor, since my second monitor is VGA and thus not supported. I ordered a DP to VGA adapter which will hopefully make that monitor work in macOS as well.

So are there any problems? the msi looks like a good one but I need to know for sure that it will also work on the Hackintosh as well.

Same question MSI RX 480 8G works like the saphire?
Saphire was comment with noisy fans with full load.

For those looking at MSI 480 information, read through the following ongoing threads for information:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-pb-need-testers-for-new-amd-radeon-drivers.197273/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/amd-radeon-rx-480.194775/

This thread will give you a quick initial answer:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/enabling-amd-rx-4xx-cards-in-sierra.201364/

Treat RX 480 support as experimental at this point in time, purchase models known to work or expect that you might not ever get a different card running in macOS.

thank You Adrian!

******RX 480 models now working with full acceleration: XFX RX 480 (reference and aftermarket multi fan models), Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8gb, Powercooler Red Devil 8gb.

RX 480 models that are not working as of 10/26/16 Gigabyte, Asus. HIS, MSI.

MSI 470 yes - 480 no.

Last edited:
Regarding RX 480 support:
Note on current AMD cards (3rd & 4th Gen GCN):
Additionally to the sleep/wake issue, those cards will boot to a black screen unless you configure your iGPU as primary graphics device (-> UEFI), thus losing any pre-OS graphics output.
Systems without an iGPU won't be able to use those GPUs at all. It might be possible to install a Nvidia 'helper' graphics card, but it's definitely a better idea to go all Nvidia in this case.

This is very inconvenient on dual-boot systems as you'll lose the Clover boot manager display output.

does it need to be a iGPU or does a R9 280 also work?

i am just interested in the open cl power of RX 480 - i will not connect a monitor.

Any particular reason AMD's OpenCL performance haven't increased since 290X, about 3 years ago?

Any particular reason AMD's OpenCL performance haven't increased since 290X, about 3 years ago?
Well, the only high-end GPU AMD released since Hawaii is "Fiji", which is faster in OpenCL (thanks to its big-ass die). The theoretical compute performance is basically a product of the number of compute cores and the clock rate, which makes big GPUs fast (and power hungry).

Polaris is just a small mainstream GPU, and it's doing fairly well as such. I just won't keep up with yesterdays high-end GPUs, both in gaming and compute. We'll see what happens when Vega is released...

And lets not forget that Polaris is still crippled by Apples half-baked beta drivers.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a dumb question but I've noticed sometimes sellers are selling cards where the video outputs are dead and sell it for parts only…

If those power up and the fans work but it's just the video output that's dead, does it possibly work as a second card for compute usage only?

Back