Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@ProjectSunstream He's right, I don't know what's going to happen in the next beta or in the final build.
If I had a chance to get a 980 for $320 I would have get it instead of the 390X

But as it works with @alwin006 's R9 doesn't that mean that it should work with every R9 based graphics-card or are there differences in chip-layouts?
Sadly not necessarily. Besides hardware differences there are also lots of VBIOS revisions, all of which can behave differently. You might be lucky, but there's no guarantee.

$320 for a GTX 980 sounds like a good deal. However, if you don't need a new GPU urgently, I'd wait for full availability of Polaris and Pascal. If the RX 480 really offers GTX 980 performance for just $199, it will push Nvidia prices down.

I am having loads of trouble with a GA Radeon HD 6850 x2 (used to be listed in the CustoMac Buyers Guide) and it worked in 10.8/9/10 but since I updated to El Cap (and switched from Chimera to Clover) I can't get it to boot except from the Unibeast USB and injectATI=no. I get no acceleration and my system specs show a 6850x2 with 5MB vRam...

At least it knows what card?

I used to use a patched kext for it to work, now I can't find patched kexts on TonyMac so I don't know how to do it. I can't find AMD6000Controller.kext anywhere on my system, even after using the combo installer. Where should it be? Or does clover have it included? (It's not in my EFI partition either).

As for info.plist I don't know where that is found either, I only find config.plist under EFI/Clover
EFI/Clover/Kexts doesn't have anything graphics related (all folders are empty except for 10.11)

You'll need to spoof your device ID to match a supported GPU, e.g. HD 6870 (-> 0x6738). This can be done with Clover, no Need to touch any kext files (AMD6000Controller is located in/S/L/E btw).

I didn't see /S once I upgraded to 10.11, so I only see Kexts installed at /L/E instead of /S/L/E. Maybe it's hidden now? Not so on a Mac mini I'm setting up, so idk what's up with that.

At any rate, when I use Clover Configurator, it doesn't update my boot.plist, so I've resorted to manual editing. Where in the plist does that go? Is there a resource that shows the correct formatting and all that?

It still exists, might be hidden though.

You need to edit the config.plist located at <EFI-Partition>/EFI/Clover/boot.plist. Once the EFI Partition is mounted, Clover Configurator should be able to edit the file.
Otherwise you can do it with a simple text editor, it's a plain plist.

It still exists, might be hidden though.

You need to edit the config.plist located at <EFI-Partition>/EFI/Clover/boot.plist. Once the EFI Partition is mounted, Clover Configurator should be able to edit the file.
Otherwise you can do it with a simple text editor, it's a plain plist.
Using a text editor is not recommended for beginners as it's too easy to inadvertently make a mistake. Use Xcode to edit your config.plist or, better yet, PlistEdit Pro.

Hey, so I am having a known issue but can't find the work around in your guide. I have an ASUS Radeon R9 380 and am trying to run it on a GA-Z170X-Gaming GT. If I have the IGPU set for default I get the known issue black screen and if I set the 380 to default I am able to get to clover but when trying to boot it gives me GPU Hardware VM is enabled and then freezes. Do you have any ideas? I see someone solved it here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-r9-380-4gb-on-el-capitan-10-11-1.176389/) but I only see the third item in my BIOS and not the others. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you shortly!!

Can you see anything on your iGPU when booting with iGPU=Primary?

My theory: Your R9 380 has a vendor specific BIOS which OS X doesn't like, so the drivers crash at the end of the boot phase, no matter which GPU is primary. In this case it should help to load a different VBIOS with Clover.

I've never seen this issue on a Tonga card before, but they're not popular among Hackintoshers (for a good reason as you can see), so I guess this can happen in rare cases.

When iGPU is primary it shows a blinking cursor and that is it. I did the suggestion a lot of people said which is to make clover inject ATI, 0x67B01002, and set FB to Radeon, but that did not help either, it made it so instead of reaching GPU Hardware and freezing it would get to that point and then turn off the monitor. I know this guide it a Radeon guide but you suggested when you get this high up to use Nvidia, how easy would it be to get the Nvidia equivalent working on 10.11.5?

Back