Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7 3700K
Graphics
XFX r9 390 8GB
New XFX r9 390 owner here trying to get his new card working with El Capitan..

I can't seem to get my graphics acceleration to work whatever clover configuration I try.. (FakeID, FB Name, Inject ATI, etc).. I also tried to load vBios with a rom made for my card with no results..

Any help would be really appreciated, thank-you.

Attachments

Motherboard
GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core I5-6500
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
As an added bonus I can confirm that the 280x works wonders with FCPX, I had one recently for testing and I was a bit amazed by the performance.

what was the 280x video card you was testing?

Fl0r!an

Motherboard
Asus Z170M-Plus
CPU
Intel i5-6600K
Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 280
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@pepel13: Your screenshot shows a unsupported device ID (0x67B1). You'll need to fake it to match the R9 390X device ID (0x67B0), otherwise the driver won't pick up the card.
Make sure you've enabled both Inject/Ati and FixDisplay, otherwise the spoof might not work properly.

Motherboard
MSI P35 Neo2
CPU
Intel Xeon X5470 (socket 771-775 mod)
Graphics
Asus Gtx 760 DirectCu II 2GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
With "connectors patch" I was talking about the framebuffer patch yo mentioned. I'd like to compare it to your ROM, maybe I'll find a minor error in it which causes the black screen in Yosemite.
Ohh ok. Well the framebuffer patch behaves just like RadeonFramebuffer so I am fairely certain the driver is the issue. I'll probably end up upgrading to El Captian (and not be able to use Pro Tools 10 ;( ) or get a new gpu. Or maybe one day I'll find the magical fix for it, for now I've got other things to care for.

what was the 280x video card you was testing?
The Asus one I mentioned earlier, link here:
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R9280XDC2T3GD5/overview/

D

Deleted member 654708

Just wanted to mention that Sapphire R9 280 OC 3GB card works totally OOB. Just plug and play on 10.11.x. Awesome experience for a Hackintosh. I wish the fans were a bit more silent though.
Reporting back with another card.
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB (Reference Cooler). Good to go with ATi Fake ID 0x67b01002, FBName = Hawaii, and Inject ATi. No problems whatsoever from HDMI.

EDIT: From experience, do you think I should be OK with XFX PSU 550Watt Gold?

Motherboard
MSI P35 Neo2
CPU
Intel Xeon X5470 (socket 771-775 mod)
Graphics
Asus Gtx 760 DirectCu II 2GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Reporting back with another card.
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB (Reference Cooler). Good to go with ATi Fake ID 0x67b01002, FBName = Hawaii, and Inject ATi. No problems whatsoever from HDMI.

EDIT: From experience, do you think I should be OK with XFX PSU 550Watt Gold?
You could run Furmark if you also have windows installed to stress test the system. I don't know if Mac OS has an equivalent stress testing tool, but your PSU might just do fine. I have a 120w xeon prosessor and a r9 390 and have had no issues using the system on a no name 700w psu, but when I ran Furmark the computer shuts down almost immediately. There are numerous wattage calculators online aswell, you should check them out aswell by Google-ing "pc psu wattage calculator".

Motherboard
Z97X-Gaming 3
CPU
i5 4690K
Graphics
MSI R9 390X
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Can you try to test using a different manufacture's VBIOS using clover? I wont have time to try myself for a couple of days. I have some management classes I need to attend in a different city.

In the mean time I have enabled the integrated Intel HD 4600 GPU on the CPU until there's hopefully a fix.
I tried the bios from sapphire http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/173845/sapphire-r9390x-8192-150527 , still freeze after stress test (all apps running+gpu intensive benchmark+3d apps)
I'll try latest beta 2

@alwin006 Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum here and i just saw that you're using the R9 390X.
I wanna use that graphics card, too. So, is it hard to get it running or does it just work fine, using Clover and OS X 10.11.5?
Works OOB but not perfect, 10.11.6 beta 1 is the version that works best for me. It's only freezing during stress test instead of every now and then like it was the case on 10.11.5
I'll try 10.11.6 beta 2 when I have some time.

EDIT: 10.11.6 beta 2 installed
Capture d’écran 2016-06-07 à 00.35.16.png
AMD kext have been updated again to 1.42.14 I'll see how it goes...

EDIT 2: Ran 3D games and GPU intensive benchmarks, 1080p hevc video, photoshop, Lightroom, and all stocks apps simultaneously for a good 25-30 minutes and did not freeze (beta 1 froze during a less intensive stress test). I could've continued the test but I didn't want my 390X to get hotter.
Try beta 2 and tell me how it goes for you.
I'm still running the sapphire vbios but I doubt it changes anything

Capture d’écran 2016-06-08 à 00.11.43.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 654708

You could run Furmark if you also have windows installed to stress test the system. I don't know if Mac OS has an equivalent stress testing tool, but your PSU might just do fine. I have a 120w xeon prosessor and a r9 390 and have had no issues using the system on a no name 700w psu, but when I ran Furmark the computer shuts down almost immediately. There are numerous wattage calculators online aswell, you should check them out aswell by Google-ing "pc psu wattage calculator".
Thanks for all the info. The online tool yield 401Watt total usage so I guess I'm OK. Also "Heaven" benchmark on Mac ran for about 10 minutes with no shutdown whatsoever. BUT... the fan sounded like a helicopter in the end.