Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

@Reghuram,

No, all of the GPU's listed in post #2797 will work just fine with MacOS as long as its a reference design, you just need to install Lilu + WhatEverGreen, remove any dGPU injection parameters from your config,plist with the exception of Device Properties for your IGPU.

Apple recommends Sapphire branded GPU cards (the PULSE models specifically) as these tend to be based on AMD's reference designs and VBIOS.

If you decide to go with anther manufacturer's card (eg: Asus, MSI, Power Cooler ... etc) then search the forums first to make sure that it works ok, GPU cards that follow the AMD reference design should work fine, some OEM add additional display output ports which can cause problems (see post below), avoid XFX cards as some of them (not all) use a non standard VBIOS.

Cheers
Jay
as you mentioned earlier sapphire cards completely follows the AMDs reference but the problem is sapphire cards are not popular in my region and they are so rarely available.
you said sapphires are the only successful GPUs, but I'm seeing many successes in the user's build with either MSI RX 580 or ASUS RX 580. Can I opt for either of these brands? Do they follow AMD's reference?

Below is an example of MSI RX 570

And here is an example of ASUS RX 580

Here is an example of ASUS RX 560

you said sapphires are the only successful GPUs, but I'm seeing many successes in the user's build with either MSI RX 580 or ASUS RX 580. Can I opt for either of these brands? Do they follow AMD's reference?

@Reghuram,

I did not say that other cards wont work, I said that Apple recommends Sapphire Pulse cards as they are the ones that follow the reference design most closely, as such they are the most compatible and tend to be the least problematic when used in a hackingtosh.

I told you to search the forums for examples of OEM cards that do work which you have done.

Some OEM cards require less effort to get working than others, that is all i was bringing your attention to.

There are many OEM cards that work just fine with MacOS ...

My advice would be for you to check what AMD cards are available in your region, then check these forums before you buy one to ensure that they work ok, or at least get an understanding of what needs to be done in order to get them working.

All i was really trying to do was to advise you not buy something that is an unknown, or does not work such as some of the XFX cards.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you so for your reply, jay. As I mentioned, some working cards in the user build successes on my previous posts. Are they really the good ones?

Thank you so for your reply, jay. As I mentioned, some working cards in the user build successes on my previous posts. Are they really the good ones?

@Reghuram,

Since i have only ever used/use Sapphire cards i can't really recommend a different OEM card that will work 100% without any issues as it would not be fair on you or myself if something did not work.

However I have read many success stories with MSI branded AMD cards although I don't know which exact models.

Generally speaking the more budget friendly cards will be closer to the reference designs rather than the Gaming and OverClocked models which tend to have extra's ports, more advanced cooling solutions and customized VBIOS's which can cause (but not always) issues.

Most AMD GPU's simply need Lilu + WhatEverGreen installed in /L/E to work.

You have to do your research and base your purchase decision on the experience that others users have written about.

If in doubt, don't be afraid to ask questions on the appropriate build thread, most users are happy to share their knowledge and experience with others.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
I just received the Nitro +, is it more trouble than its worth?
Try it and see. Apple officially recommends Pulse cards but many people here have the Nitro+ working well too.

I had two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards and they were perfect.....who said there were issues with them???? That's just nonsense.....my two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked perfectly with no issues. I wish my Radeon VII and Powercolor Vega 56 worked as well as those two did....

I had two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards and they were perfect.....who said there were issues with them???? That's just nonsense.....my two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked perfectly with no issues. I wish my Radeon VII and Powercolor Vega 56 worked as well as those two did....

I flashed my PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 with Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 BIOS and it works really well.

Back