Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

I just received the Nitro +, is it more trouble than its worth?
Try it and see. Apple officially recommends Pulse cards but many people here have the Nitro+ working well too.

I had two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards and they were perfect.....who said there were issues with them???? That's just nonsense.....my two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked perfectly with no issues. I wish my Radeon VII and Powercolor Vega 56 worked as well as those two did....

I had two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards and they were perfect.....who said there were issues with them???? That's just nonsense.....my two Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked perfectly with no issues. I wish my Radeon VII and Powercolor Vega 56 worked as well as those two did....

I flashed my PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 with Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 BIOS and it works really well.

I flashed my PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 with Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 BIOS and it works really well.

Yea, well, my reference PowerColor Vega 56 works fine as long as I only use the DP port(s), and I don't have that many complaints about it.

My point for the post really was about the fact that the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked just fine, were completely compatible with 10.14.5 and later, and worked on both the DP and HDMI ports......so more compatible, not less......

Last edited:
Yea, well, my reference PowerColor Vega 56 works fine as long as I only use the DP port, and I don't have that many complaints about it. My point really was that the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s worked just fine, were completely compatible with 10.14.5 and later, and worked on both the DP and HDMI ports......so more compatible, not less......

Hmm... I would expect that the HDMI ports on my card would behave like those on the Nitro+... I'll have to mess around with it a bit more...

@Silverman,

As long as you get a card that follows the AMD reference design then you should be ok, the RX 5XX series reference design has four output ports (1 x HDMI + 3 x DP) and has no DVI port. Some OEM ship their cards with different port configurations and some also have an additional 5th port (sometimes a DVI) ... these non reference designs can cause problems in MacOS as the different/extra ports are not included in the default AMD framebuffer's, in most cases you can patch the framebuffer (see the guide in Post #1).

You can use a DP to HDMI adapter if you need an additional HDMI port, as DP is fully backwards compatible with HDMI.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks a lot, Jay.
I've just bought Sapphire RX 580 Pulse with 2xHDMI and it starts sumptuously without any manipulation.

Hello everyone, I don’t know if I’m writing right here, such a problem ... the wrong resolution was set in the Clover menu (ver. 5018), cured the problem by installing the CsmVideoDxe driver, but after that the system stopped loading, the screen lights up but instead of booting the system the usual flicker, video card sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580. On the Russian forum, of course, they could not help)

Attachments

• 455075_preboot.log.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 80
Definitely avoid XFX brands as they're known to have BIOS incompatibility issues with MacOS. There's a workaround but it's not worth the hassle. Just get ASUS, MSI, Sapphire or Gigabyte.

I believe that it was only the XFX RX 460 & 560 GPU's that had the VBIOS problem which caused a massive issue for XFX and a ton of bad press, after that they stuck with the reference VBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

Back