Contribute
Register

Radeon Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphics Cards

thank you for your reply, and is there any architecture I should be aware of? or should avoid a certain architecture?

@Reghuram,

No, all of the GPU's listed in post #2797 will work just fine with MacOS as long as its a reference design, you just need to install Lilu + WhatEverGreen, remove any dGPU injection parameters from your config,plist with the exception of Device Properties for your IGPU.

Apple recommends Sapphire branded GPU cards (the PULSE models specifically) as these tend to be based on AMD's reference designs and VBIOS.

If you decide to go with anther manufacturer's card (eg: Asus, MSI, Power Cooler ... etc) then search the forums first to make sure that it works ok, GPU cards that follow the AMD reference design should work fine, some OEM add additional display output ports which can cause problems (see post below), avoid XFX cards as some of them (not all) use a non standard VBIOS.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hello, everybody. I have High Sierra on my PC. Now it's time to upgrade to Mojave. I just realized that I have to replace my VC Nvidia by anything from AMD. There's just something that bothers me. I need 2 HDMI on my videcard. Is there a problems on hackintosh OS with AMD RX 5xx videocards with 2 HDMI-out?

@Silverman,

As long as you get a card that follows the AMD reference design then you should be ok, the RX 5XX series reference design has four output ports (1 x HDMI + 3 x DP) and has no DVI port. Some OEM ship their cards with different port configurations and some also have an additional 5th port (sometimes a DVI) ... these non reference designs can cause problems in MacOS as the different/extra ports are not included in the default AMD framebuffer's, in most cases you can patch the framebuffer (see the guide in Post #1).

You can use a DP to HDMI adapter if you need an additional HDMI port, as DP is fully backwards compatible with HDMI.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@Reghuram,

No, all of the GPU's listed in post #2797 will work just fine with MacOS as long as its a reference design, you just need to install Lilu + WhatEverGreen, remove any dGPU injection parameters from your config,plist with the exception of Device Properties for your IGPU.

Apple recommends Sapphire branded GPU cards as these tend to be based on AMD's reference designs and VBIOS.
If you decide to go with anther manufacturer's card (eg: Asus, MSI, Power Cooler ... etc) then search the forums first to make sure that it works ok, GPU cards that follow the AMD reference design should work fine, some OEM add additional display output ports which can cause problems (see post below), avoid XFX cards as some of them (not all) use a non standard VBIOS.

Cheers
Jay
thanks a lot man! i really appreciate it!
so now I have to find a card that follows AMDs reference?

@Reghuram,

Radeon RX 460 / 560
Radeon RX 470 / 570
Radeon RX 480 / 580

All of the above are good, mid range GPU's that work well with in MacOS Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave
Best to avoid XFX banded cards as some of them use a non standard VBIOS.

If you need more GPU power then consider getting Radeon Pro Vega 56 or 64 ... these are a good buy right now as they have seen a recent price drop due to them being superseded by the new Radeon 5700 series cards.

The most powerful AMD GPU that is supported in MacOS right now is Radeon VII (Mojave only)

The new Radeon 5700 and 5700 XT GPUs's are not yet supported in Mojave but might be in a future Mojave update and will almost certainly be supported in the public release of Catalina coming in September.

Cheers
Jay
as I searched in the forum i could not find any OEM that follows the reference design of AMD can you please suggest me any other manufacture units other than sapphire (like MSI, asus, etc) which exactly follows the reference design.

jaymonkey stated that Sapphire branded cards all follow the reference design. The best of those to choose are the Pulse cards instead of the Nitro +. Get a Sapphire Pulse.
yeah I completely understood what jaymonkey said, the thing is sapphire cards are rarely available in my region, so I mentioned any other GPUs other than sapphire cards.
thanks!

yeah I completely understood what jaymonkey said, the thing is sapphire cards are rarely available in my region, so I mentioned any other GPUs other than sapphire cards.
thanks!
make a list of what you can get.

MSI, GIGABYTE,ASUS (EITHER RX 560,570 or 580)

MSI, GIGABYTE,ASUS (EITHER RX 560,570 or 580)
I usually buy either MSI or Gigabyte. See which of those will work best for you.

Back